taycan turbo
Country flag
Burmester sound system because the interior can’t handle it
Sponsored

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
I‘m still waiting on my car. I got the passenger display because I road trip a lot and thought it would be useful for the passenger to be able to change music, use the nav, etc. Why do you both find it not worth the money? I guess it doesn’t matter because the car is already built, but I’m curious anyway.
I rarely have a passenger and when I do, the passenger display isn’t used. The Taycan is my daily driver. Family trips are taken in our other vehicle.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The only 2 options I got which I’m no longer thrilled with are the powered charge ports & electric sport sound. Both a bit gimmicky in my view but also not very expensive so I wouldn’t be bothered either way.

I use the charging port every day but I feel I wouldn’t miss the powered element. I hardly ever use sport sound, I’m slightly embarrassed to switch it on where pedestrians will hear it, and I prefer to listen to music than sport sound.
Always amazed at the things that turns us, the unique and unusual human creatures inhabiting Earth, on and off. I love the sport sound and the powered charge port but more so the sport sound. I had sport sound hesitancy while I was configuring the vehicle in the initial stages of the order because I wasn't sure if I was going to get the hang of it. Glad I did. I turn on the sound every time I drive the car. It's like this crazy psychological effect that puts me at ease in the seat, knowing that I am going faster when the sounds gets louder. Weird isn't it?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
ahhh yes - PCCB’s are now purely decorative/cosmetic given 90% regen braking loads - if I could get past the emotional conditioning Porsche has done over the past decade for carbon ceramic brakes (porsche marketing has been very very effective in my inner most lizard brain) - PCCB’s are really really really un-necessary on an EV with 90% regen braking load....

there is really zero reason other than cosmetics/image/perception to have anything other than the stock red-caliper iron brakes.

even with brake dust concerns - there is 90% less dust due to regen being the primary method of deceleration.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Some extras seem to be nice to have when ordering but once you use the car for a few months you realize you never use them.
Think HUD if you drive with your sunglasses on or adaptive lights for an urban-only driver.

Which ones you wouldn't order again?
no - 19.2 kW AC On-Board Charger
no - Mobile Charger Connect
no - Porsche InnoDrive
no - Porsche Intelligent Range Manager
no - smoking package (used to include an extra 12V outlet - no longer) -- agreed and I do not smoke
no - Storage Package (not that useful)

Although, I would not mind getting any of the above if its a part of the package and at $0 cost to me

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Re the tailgate. I had the same problem and even Porsche didn't know how to fix it. I decided to do some research in the PCM. Appears that there is a checkbox you have to select. Have you checked that?
Yes it's enabled. The dealership said that the sensor is located a little behind the back bumper so I need to stretch my leg a little farther to get it to work... I find it easier to bend over and push the rectangle button instead.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no - Storage Package (not that useful)
I love me some @BayAreaJay so this isn’t personal - but frankly check all the $0 porsche options you can - there is no “savings“ to be had by not getting $0 options - and most them may not be functional but they also do not “harm” the vehicle or make it less desirable.

again @BayAreaJay love you man!!!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I love me some @BayAreaJay so this isn’t personal - but frankly check all the $0 porsche options you can - there is no “savings“ to be had by not getting $0 options - and most them may not be functional but they also do not “harm” the vehicle or make it less desirable.

again @BayAreaJay love you man!!!
Storage Package is $280 USD. Maybe it used to be $0 on MY20?

But I agree in general. I wish I had looked through some of those $0 options closer. I wasn’t planning on adding cost with interior customization so I didn’t look through those options well enough and missed the $0 black door sills. ?‍♂

I’m just gonna give my 6yo a sharpie when the car gets in and hope he stays in the lines. ?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
ahhh yes - PCCB’s are now purely decorative/cosmetic given 90% regen braking loads - if I could get past the emotional conditioning Porsche has done over the past decade for carbon ceramic brakes (porsche marketing has been very very effective in my inner most lizard brain) - PCCB’s are really really really un-necessary on an EV with 90% regen braking load....

there is really zero reason other than cosmetics/image/perception to have anything other than the stock red-caliper iron brakes.

even with brake dust concerns - there is 90% less dust due to regen being the primary method of deceleration.
Try braking down 2500kg of EV on the German autobahn from 245 kph to 80 when a lorry thinks he can overtake another lorry.
I can tell you, there's no fading.
There is cursing and a lot of negative G's but no fading.
Wow... that's some serious braking right there!
At 245, things happen very quickly you know...
Of course you need brakes (and tire surface) that are up to the task, steel brakes with smaller tires are just a minimum...

I'll track it some day at the Nurburgring and if there's one track where you need good brakes....:)

Last edited:

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - 2020
Country flag
I am also still trying to find a solution. In our subtropical climate, it's unbearable for 8 months of the year.
1617449439736.png

50.7°C (123°F) temp of back seat.

1617449480332.png

59.9°C (140°F) temp of driver's headrest.

1617449824141.png

59.9°C (140°F) temp of glass roof.

1617449535373.png

68°C (154°F) temp of the edge of the inside frame, not the glass. Do not touch it!

It is so hot, that event he AC cannot cool the cabin down within the first 15 min of driving the car after having it parked in the sun for 4 hours.

I checked with the shop, the AC works fine. I think Porsche tested the car in the desert, but not in humid hot climate.
I put ir rejecting tint on my model 3 and model x roof/windshield, never had any issues with heat. Does the thermal kit help pano too? I’m opposite in that I wouldn’t get a car without pano.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
definitely no - Innodrive - would just order ACC & ALK
definitely no - all season tires - would get summer tires
definitely no - smoking package (used to include an extra 12V outlet - no longer)

definitely no - passenger display
not needed - advanced 4 zone climate controls
21" wheel – reduce range quite a bit

PDCC – awesome, but only make a difference in really fast corners and is expensive

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try braking down 2500kg of EV on the German autobahn from 245 kph to 80 when a lorry thinks he can overtake another lorry.
I can tell you, there's no fading.
There is cursing and a lot of negative G's but no fading.
Wow... that's some serious braking right there!
At 245, things happen very quickly you know...
Of course you need brakes (and tire surface) that are up to the task, steel brakes with smaller tires are just a minimum...

I'll track it some day at the Nurburgring and if there's one track where you need good brakes....:)
I'll still suggest Posche steel brakes are up the task for this type of "one time" massive slow down - Porsche tests even their steel brakes and their thermal fade to some pretty stringent standards. PCCB's will buy you lack of fade for "repeated" heavy braking applications (track duty) - if you're cruising along at 245 kph and need to suddenly slow down your brakes are already cool and ready for peak performance - I'll suggest no difference here for steel vs. PCCB's - and if there is more than 5 minutes between this and the next application again steels will be more than sufficient…

now 11 turns 4 heavy braking sessions in less than 1.25 miles long and in less than 1:45 seconds @ Laguna Seca raceway - yeah PCCB"s might be a benefit, but when i've done that with no regen even on Porsche 911 steel brakes it's been fine with fade only coming into play on the steel brakes after about 8 or 9 laps of heavy hot laps…that's 32 to 36 heavy braking applications in less than 25 minutes before I've even remotely "felt any fade" with Porsche steel brakes…

I'll still by my assertion that PCCB's are un-necessary on an EV with heavy regen braking support and are lightly used - and the advantage of PCCB's are NEVER used unless you track the vehicle. Even slowing down suddenly from high speed to slow speed on an autobahn is a "one time" thing for which Porsche steel brakes have more than enough thermal capacity to execute with flawless precision and confidence at ABS threshold braking limits.

it's the tires that slow your vehicle down not the brakes…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also in my opinion the brake rotors/pads are not the issue with repeated brake applications for high speed high deceleration use cases with 5,100 lbs 4 door sports sedan...

there aren't any street legal tires that will hold up well to this type of repeated brake usage - the Tycan is so heavy and so fast - it's really really easy to overwhelm the tires and once they get a bit greasy your PCCB's really don't matter - your braking distance is going to increase when the all season tires are over heated…

if you are using the friction brakes enough to worry about thermal fade your tires are way way way more of a liability than your steel rotors - given this car's weight, size and power it's under-tired and there is no street legal tire that will come close to maximizing the thermal characteristics of even the base steel rotors…

my lizard brain is threatening a revolt right about now and working to overcome the rational brain writing this post - Porsche marketing, can not, must not be wrong - PCCB's are beneficial on an EV with .38g's of regen for 90% of braking usage on the street - they MUST be useful - they look soooooo pretty and cost sooooo much - they must be better.

you'll run out of optimal tire grip before you run out of thermal capacity with the Taycan even with the steel brakes.

that's my $0.02 - my lizard brain is screaming at me right now - I'll take a break.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
also you're not going very far or very fast for very long before a charging stop

I know from my Laguna track day that I can only run the Taycan for about 15 min flat out at a cost of 50% battery capacity - before the Taycan throttles the power due to battery thermals - which then requires about a nice 30 min or more cool down for the battery before you can return to full pace usage…

the steel brakes can last for 15 minutes - but the tires can't and neither can the battery.

if you're driving the vehicle fast enough to have to slow down from really high speeds - there isn't enough battery/capacity/fuel on this vehicle to outlast the brake thermals…

I've pretty positive you'll run out of capacity in the following order under high stress braking driving scenarios
  • first you'll run out of tires
  • 2nd you'll run out of battery thermals if you're driving hard enough to need this level of braking capacity
  • 3rd you'll run out of power as the Taycan limits your maximum power applications due to battery thermals (limiting acceleration & top speed)
  • 4th you'll run out of kWh capacity in the battery cause you've been using sooo much power (remember I used 50% battery @ laguna in less than 7 laps)
  • something else I'm not thinking of…
  • if you can run this hard for this long you might start to work your way into the thermal limits of standard Porsche steel brakes…but it's unlikely.
The Taycan doesn't have a enough tire or battery capacity to run hard enough and long enough to truly stress the brakes…

lizard brain is really really mad at me right now.
Sponsored