Which extras you wouldn't order again

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Defenately the brakes, are you kidding me?
It's the most crucial factor in transferring kinetic energy into heat.
CCs do that much better.
It's a balanced combination of tires and brakes.
Tires for transferring the kinetic energy to the brakes (grip).
Brakes for transferring kinetic energy into friction (heat).
CCs can transfer much more energy per cm2.
That's far before the point of fading.
And with 2500kg of EV you'll need every bit of stopping power.
I won't go along with you into that direction where you think that steel brakes are as good as CCs, that's just not true.
Besides, on CCs you can put much more pressure on the pads than you can with steel brakes, hence the bigger stopping power.
Dave‘s right. There’s no improvement in stopping distance with CC until enough repeated applications to induce fade. Any of the Porsche brakes are capable of exceeding the tire’s grip, easily. And the Porsche steel brakes are pretty overkill for public street driving, even at autobahn speeds. Because high speed public street driving doesn’t include multiple emergency stops every minute the way track braking would.

this topic is pretty well covered. CC don’t stop better, although on smaller cars they do weigh less unsprung. You can entertain yourself with YouTube tests comparing them.
Sponsored

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Dave‘s right. There’s no improvement in stopping distance with CC until enough repeated applications to induce fade. Any of the Porsche brakes are capable of exceeding the tire’s grip, easily. And the Porsche steel brakes are pretty overkill for public street driving, even at autobahn speeds. Because high speed public street driving doesn’t include multiple emergency stops every minute the way track braking would.

this topic is pretty well covered. CC don’t stop better, although on smaller cars they do weigh less unsprung. You can entertain yourself with YouTube tests comparing them.
+1

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Which ones you wouldn't order again?
I got the puddle lights on the doors. Definitely would not pay for those again. I ordered my car shortly after having driven an Audi for a few days that had them (while my car was being serviced). They were cooler on the Audi (Audi rings instead of just the word 'Porsche"), and the effect wears off quickly in any case.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I got the puddle lights on the doors. Definitely would not pay for those again. I ordered my car shortly after having driven an Audi for a few days that had them (while my car was being serviced). They were cooler on the Audi (Audi rings instead of just the word 'Porsche"), and the effect wears off quickly in any case.
I quickly passed the door light option on my order and acquired a set of 4 for $27.80 from Amazon.

cfp

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo '22 (ordered),MB E350, Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I quickly passed the door light option on my order and acquired a set of 4 for $27.80 from Amazon.
The doors are wired for this even if the car wasn’t originally spec’d for it?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I'm struggling whether to order the electric charging cover (would that thing be a reliability concern?) and the active parking support (does anybody find it useful?)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

since my original posting I'm reminding the audience of this post from a while back
The Taycan doesn't have a enough tire or battery capacity to run hard enough and long enough to truly stress the brakes…
I've discussed this "insight" at length with many many track buddies, including a pro-racer who has extensive PCCB and non-PCCB track enduro and sprint race experience…everyone I've discussed this with is at first incredulous but after giving it more thought they have an "ah ha" moment and get a big smile and just shake their heads - realizing PCCB's are completely useless and un-necessary on a limited range EV. Some even burst out laughing once they realize how ridiculous it is. No one cares about brake fade for a 15-20 minute sprint race. And the Taycan can't even run long enough for a typical sprint race.

No vehicle will benefit from ceramic brake endurance thermals for a 10 lap race - and 10 laps at any track is more than the Taycan can do at full pace. And if you're saying "but but but weight savings"- I'll remind you of the Taycan's hefty 5100 lbs curb weight and refer you to greasy street tire problems in 4 laps or less given the Taycan's hefty weight - the PCCB weight savings in the context of 5,100 lbs curb weight vehicle are minimal at best.

PCCB's are 100% a waste on most cars but can be useful for track days where session times may exceed 20 or 30 minutes, but even under track circumstances for the Taycan they are still a waste given the Taycan's limited power/fuel capacity/battery thermal capacity - requiring a full 20-50 minute fast charging session in less than 10 laps at any track you'd find world wide. Porsche standard steel brakes are more than up to task to drive this vehicle hard for 15 minutes - about it's maximum hard driving endurance capacity before you'll run out of battery kWh's or battery thermals.

You can not run hard enough or long enough to need the additional thermal capacity for PCCB's and on the street due to Regen PCCB's are infrequently engaged.

You don't need PCCB's for two 15 minute track sessions a day before the car needs 30-60 minutes for a fast charge session (or several hours for non-fast charging) -during which your steel brakes will cool to ambient air temperature and be back to full thermal capacity - the steel brakes will be ready to go again long before the battery is cooled and charged, and the steel brakes will also outlast the battery on track, and outlast the tires.

I'm considering a Taycan CT for my wife's next vehicle - and I will not be spec'ing PCCB's - there is simply no point even for track usage - which is a stretch for a Taycan CT.

Last edited:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
since my original posting I'm remind the audience of this - I've discussed this at length with many many track buddies, including a pro-racer who has extensive PCCB and non-PCCB experience…everyone I've discussed this with is at first incredulous but after giving it more thought they have an "ah ha" moment and get a big smile and just shake their heads - realizing PCCB's are completely useless and un-necessary on a limited range EV. Some even burst out laughing once they realize how ridiculous it is. No one cars about brake fade for a 15-20 minute sprint race. And the Taycan can't even run long enough for a typical sprint race.

this is a a major consideration:

PCCB's are 100% a waste on most cars but can be useful for track days where session times may exceed 20 or 30 minutes, but even under track circumstances for the Taycan they are still a waste given the Taycan's limited power/fuel capacity/battery thermal capacity - requiring a full 22-30 minute fast charging session in less than 15 laps at any track you'd find world wide. Porsche steel brakes are more than up to task to drive this vehicle hard for 15 minutes - about it's maximum hard driving endurance capacity before you'll run out of battery or battery thermals.

You can not run hard enough or long enough to need the additional thermal capacity for PCCB's and not the street due to Regen they are not used.

You don't need PCCB's for two 15 minute track sessions a day before the car needs 30-60 minutes for a fast charge session -during which your steel brakes will cool to ambient air temperature and be back to full capacity - the steel brakes will be ready to go again before the battery has cooled and been charged between sessions.

I'm considering a Taycan CT for my wife's next vehicle - and I will not be spec'ing PCCB's.
I have the PCCB, but only because they were standard on the Turbo S. If they weren’t standard, I would have gone with the steel, especially since most braking is regen and thus no dust. I have mine painted black and do love the look though.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have the PCCB, but only because they were standard on the Turbo S. If they weren’t standard, I would have gone with the steel, especially since most braking is regen and thus no dust. I have mine painted black and do love the look though.
I love the zero dust, the looks, and the weight savings, I'm simply trying to make sure people realize there is zero "benefit" into the traditional space in which PCCB's excel - endurance high thermal usage across long periods of repeated brake applications.

The Taycan lacks any on track endurance and does not require the extended thermal capacity offered by PCCB's while it's parked at a fast charger after 15 minutes of hard driving on track.

Last edited:

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I love the zero dust, the looks, and the weight savings, I'm simply trying to make sure people realize there is zero "benefit" into the traditional space in which PCCB's excel - endurance high thermal usage across long periods of repeated brake applications.

The Taycan lacks any on track endurance and does not require the extended thermal capacity offered by PCCB's while it's parked at a fast charger after 15 minutes of hard driving on track.
I just wish there was a track near me with fast chargers. The ones near me aren’t near any chargers.
Sponsored