daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
since my original posting I'm reminding the audience of this post from a while back

I've discussed this "insight" at length with many many track buddies, including a pro-racer who has extensive PCCB and non-PCCB track enduro and sprint race experience…everyone I've discussed this with is at first incredulous but after giving it more thought they have an "ah ha" moment and get a big smile and just shake their heads - realizing PCCB's are completely useless and un-necessary on a limited range EV. Some even burst out laughing once they realize how ridiculous it is. No one cares about brake fade for a 15-20 minute sprint race. And the Taycan can't even run long enough for a typical sprint race.

No vehicle will benefit from ceramic brake endurance thermals for a 10 lap race - and 10 laps at any track is more than the Taycan can do at full pace. And if you're saying "but but but weight savings"- I'll remind you of the Taycan's hefty 5100 lbs curb weight and refer you to greasy street tire problems in 4 laps or less given the Taycan's hefty weight - the PCCB weight savings in the context of 5,100 lbs curb weight vehicle are minimal at best.

PCCB's are 100% a waste on most cars but can be useful for track days where session times may exceed 20 or 30 minutes, but even under track circumstances for the Taycan they are still a waste given the Taycan's limited power/fuel capacity/battery thermal capacity - requiring a full 20-50 minute fast charging session in less than 10 laps at any track you'd find world wide. Porsche standard steel brakes are more than up to task to drive this vehicle hard for 15 minutes - about it's maximum hard driving endurance capacity before you'll run out of battery kWh's or battery thermals.

You can not run hard enough or long enough to need the additional thermal capacity for PCCB's and on the street due to Regen PCCB's are infrequently engaged.

You don't need PCCB's for two 15 minute track sessions a day before the car needs 30-60 minutes for a fast charge session (or several hours for non-fast charging) -during which your steel brakes will cool to ambient air temperature and be back to full thermal capacity - the steel brakes will be ready to go again long before the battery is cooled and charged, and the steel brakes will also outlast the battery on track, and outlast the tires.

I'm considering a Taycan CT for my wife's next vehicle - and I will not be spec'ing PCCB's - there is simply no point even for track usage - which is a stretch for a Taycan CT.
Now if I could run a Taycan from 100% battery down to say 7% or less at full pace for the entire SOC drain - that would equal more than 15 or 20 laps…we now might be getting close to some brake fade for steel brakes - but then we’d still have the hefty weight and greasy street tire problem - but yeah if I could run a battery ”dry” at full pace brake upgrades might start to be interesting. As it stands now battery thermal limit of 132F causing the vehicle to neuter power happens after about 5 full pace laps @ Laguna - which is about 100% SOC to 60% SOC - and then you need a 30 minute “rest” off track to recover the vehicle and the battery temperature.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Lane Change Assist (LCA)

I like the slightly older implementation with the lights on the inside of the mirror housing.

I do not like newer implementation with the lights on the outer edge of the mirrors. They get lost in the rest of the mirror image and do not stand out well. In my opinion, it’s bad enough that it’s not worth it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have had my car 3 months and haven’t even used range mode yet let alone PIRM.
I only use Range mode on longer highway stretches and there it does make some difference. However, recent postings seem to suggest that the impact of Range on a Turbo (S) is more noticeable than on a 4S.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I only use Range mode on longer highway stretches and there it does make some difference. However, recent postings seem to suggest that the impact of Range on a Turbo (S) is more noticeable than on a 4S.
I wonder how much impact Range mode has on a RWD, since supposedly the way Range mode works on the dual motor variants is by primarily using the front motor, which of course the RWD doesn't even have.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
PRIM is the $300 range manager thing, right? I agree, it’s useless. So much so that I’m going to look to see if I can turn it off. It creates pop-ups that suggest the craziest changes, such as the exact same route which well within reach in normal mode and it suggests changing to range mode. Gee, thanks…

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
no - Porsche Charging Dock
no - Porsche Charger (PMC+ or PMCC) - cheaper/better non-Porsche EVSE options
no - Glacier Blue “option” - would still order the lights - just not the glacier blue
no - Innodrive - would just order ACC & ALK
no - all season tires - would get summer tires
no - smoking package (used to include an extra 12V outlet - no longer)
[Update May 2021] - no - PCCB's - they are pointless on a vehicle that can't do more than a handful of track laps at full pace before needing to "rest" for battery thermals.

maybe skip - passenger display
maybe skip - advanced 4 zone climate controls
I'm curious as to why you dislike the glacier blue option - also ordered this but if there is something particularly egregious with them I'd like to know - Cheers, C.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm curious as to why you dislike the glacier blue option - also ordered this but if there is something particularly egregious with them I'd like to know - Cheers, C.
I don’t dislike them - I think they conflict color wise with the gentian blue - I htink they can/could look awesome with other colors - but I don’t like the “look” of the glacier blue w/gentian blue from a color/contrast/aesthetics point of view.

but that’s a personal opinion.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I don’t dislike them - I think they conflict color wise with the gentian blue - I htink they can/could look awesome with other colors - but I don’t like the “look” of the glacier blue w/gentian blue from a color/contrast/aesthetics point of view.

Ah, perfect thanks - I thought there was something perhaps with brightness/visibility on the road etc. Mine is Volcano Grey so suspect (or hope!) they will look good with that contrast,
Cheers, C.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PRIM is the $300 range manager thing, right? I agree, it’s useless. So much so that I’m going to look to see if I can turn it off. It creates pop-ups that suggest the craziest changes, such as the exact same route which well within reach in normal mode and it suggests changing to range mode. Gee, thanks…
I just used PIRM on an 1,100 mile round trip between Virginia and Michigan, and it was flawless. Perhaps it has something to do with the settings?
Porsche Taycan Which extras you wouldn't order again tempImagen8ClBR
Porsche Taycan Which extras you wouldn't order again tempImageVRtDUr

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I just used PIRM on an 1,100 mile round trip between Virginia and Michigan, and it was flawless. Perhaps it has something to do with the settings?
tempImagen8ClBR.jpg
tempImageVRtDUr.jpg
I would have put PIRM on my wouldn't-order-again list because I hadn't used it in the eight months I have the car. However, I used it for the first time a couple of days ago and I was pleasantly surprised.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
interesting. I was thinking adding glacier blue headlights and Porsche strip to my now Gentian Blue 4S CT.

Too much blue?

I was thinking going for all that all blue look.

Daveo. how about some pics with the headlights? Now I want to see them to be sure. Porsche config site rendering is all I to based on at this point.

-ThinkMac-

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
interesting. I was thinking adding glacier blue headlights and Porsche strip to my now Gentian Blue 4S CT.

Too much blue?

I was thinking going for all that all blue look.

Daveo. how about some pics with the headlights? Now I want to see them to be sure. Porsche config site rendering is all I to based on at this point.

-ThinkMac-
It's a kinda light, baby blue, and it's tricky to match with colors. I only like it with white, all shades of grey, black, all other colors are tricky... but it's all about personal taste.
Sponsored