Need Options Advice - Questions on Options before Freeze Approaching Soon

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Long time reader and first time poster

I ordered a Taycan RWD and was thinking of saving a some money without the premium package. Wanted to gain the great insights people have here on the below options and anything else. Really appreciate it!

1. Regular Back Camera vs Surround View - I experienced and hear the fisheye view is terrible but if you change to the normal mode (can you?) someone said it should be fine. Will it be or you really need the surround view? Does the surround view have extra sensors or just more camera views?

2. Standard Headlights - For everyday driving with the standard LED be great and pretty might the same brightness without all the swiveling and adjusting stuff?

3. LCA - On my Macan S I didn't have this lane change assist option and was fine. Do you really need it with the taycan or if I could get by before with previous cars with be fine?

4. High Gloss Black Window Trim - It comes with black standard window trim. I am getting Gentian Blue Metallic exterior color with Black interior leather and glass roof. Does it really look better or regular standard black is fine?

5. Mobile Charger Connect - Does this do any faster charging then the one it comes standard with? Do you need this option? Mainly with charge at home and on some small road trips.

6. Folding Side Mirrors- I never used them on my Macan or previous cars. Does anyone use them on the taycan and need them?

7. RWD - not that I could probably change at this point, but for everyday driving I am hearing this should be totally fine and super fun car.

Greatly appreciate all your advice and have found this forum so useful.

Current Build is:
Gentian Blue with Leather Interior in Black
Performance Battery Plus (93.4 kWh)
Sport Chrono Package with Porsche Design Subsecond Clock
Porsche Electric Sport Sound
Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
20" Sport Aero Wheels
Fixed Panoramic Roof in Glass
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
Rear 2+1 Seats
Ventilated Seats (Front)
Ambient Lighting
Storage Package
Mobile Charger Connect with 25 ft cable
Sponsored

Last edited:

ljump12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag

I ordered a Taycan RWD and was thinking of saving a some money without the premium package. Wanted to gain the great insights people have here on the below options and anything else. Really appreciate it!

1. Regular Back Camera vs Surround View - I experienced and hear the fisheye view is terrible but if you change to the normal mode (can you?) someone said it should be fine. Will it be or you really need the surround view? Does the surround view have extra sensors or just more camera views?

2. Standard Headlights - For everyday driving with the standard LED be great and pretty might the same brightness without all the swiveling and adjusting stuff?

3. LCA - On my Macan S I didn't have this lane change assist option and was fine. Do you really need it with the taycan or if I could get by before with previous cars with be fine?

4. High Gloss Black Window Trim - It comes with black standard window trim. I am getting Gentian Blue Metallic exterior color with Black interior leather and glass roof. Does it really look better or regular standard black is fine?

5. Mobile Charger Connect - Does this do any faster charging then the one it comes standard with? Do you need this option? Mainly with charge at home and on some small road trips.

6. Folding Side Mirrors- I never used them on my Macan or previous cars. Does anyone use them on the taycan and need them?

7. RWD - not that I could probably change at this point, but for everyday driving I am hearing this should be totally fine and super fun car.

Current Build is:
20" Sport Aero Wheels
Rear 2+1 Seats
Ventilated Seats (Front)
Ambient Lighting
Storage Package
Drop the mobile charger connect, you don’t need it and can either charge with the cable it comes with, or can buy a 3rd party (which will also be better quality) for half the price.

I also ordered mine without folding mirrors as I’ve never used them before. People have said the taycan is a wide car, but I don’t think its needed unless you have a tight garage.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
IMHO, it’s good to have folding mirrors if you are parking on public places, or along road where someone can break it (cyclist). I couldn’t recall when I had fixed mirrors in last three decades….

Mobile charger. Depends on your home (work) installations.
i ordered it since I have three phases, 400V, 32amp at work= 22kwh (16amp, 400V at home).

don’t have experiences with surround camera at Porsche,; i’ve seen a post that fisheye-view could be dissabled, so I took it.

rwd. Personally, i preffer 4wd.

oh, about colour of interiror. don;t ask me… my wife selected brown :giggle:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Current Build is:
20" Sport Aero Wheels
Rear 2+1 Seats
Ventilated Seats (Front)
Ambient Lighting
Storage Package
1. 360 surround / panoramic definitely. There are 2 views - fish eye and non. I think it is good.

2. LED is good enough as you can't have matrix activated in USA.

3. Nice to have but not essential

4. High gloss black is better. With Gentian I would go silver.

5. Doesn't do faster unless you have the maximum electrical supply. It should be 19.6kW but apparently in USA it is limited. STD charger therefore will provide the same result and you don't need to purchase another. You would also need to add the upgraded AC charger which makes it expensive particularly if you can't get the max capability.

6. Yes tick the box and colour code.

7. All wheel drive is preferred. RWD is ultimately underpowered for a ~ 2.5 t car.

Zetta

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
Country flag

1. Surround view, your wheels will thank you ;) Also when parking anywhere, you see the lines from "above"

2. Standard LED is enough for daily driving

3. This is a great security feature and should be standard on the Taycan

4. High gloss with Gentian will be great

5. you can skip this

6. Depends on where you are living and parking

7. RWD ist fine

Instead of the Mobile Charger Connect I would take the Rear Wheel Steering.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I had sport Chrono package on my 911S and never used it. If you are not driving on a track (and you wouldn't with this version Taycan), then I don't see the point. I feel the same about the sound package which only the driver and passenger can hear (not pedestrians), so again I don't get the purpose: it does not affect performance, comfort or safety. Folding mirrors are now included in the premium package and it seems you are getting everything in that package on your build so you'll get that too.

I realize I may be in the minority on these opinions. I stress practicality and performance when it comes to buying a P-car.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
my understanding is that (at least in the US) all new EV cars are required to emit a certain amount of sound to prevent from hitting a pedestrian. I've picked this up from other threads so have not verified it with a dealer. However it would not change my opinion about the value of an imitation sound designed to entertain a driver and passenger. I stream music for that at no extra cost.

Again, I recognize I may be in the minority and since I own stock in Porsche, please feel free to spend your money on as many options as make you happy.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I was not trying to convince you (or OP) to buy sports sound.
i just wanted to point out, that sound is not heard inside only.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Appreciate that. I tried it on the test drive. Found it uninspiring but again, everyone is different. I don’t like paying for artificial effects.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag

Current Build is:
20" Sport Aero Wheels
Rear 2+1 Seats
Ventilated Seats (Front)
Ambient Lighting
Storage Package
Surround - yes
Standard - no, go for matrix if available in your country
Lca - mere warning light in mirror, yet nice to have. Lka is important. Active lka not so.
Black trim - yes
Mobile cc - yes, works like a charm
Folding - yes, must have
Rwd - well if you can afford, pick 4s, much faster in all weather conditions

additionally:
I’d spec 19, even more comfy, no issues with perferomance
Ambient lighting - not impressive in real world
Consider sound/heat insulated windows
Consider night vision
Passenger display - nice but unnecessary
Sports chrono with gt wheel - nice
Full leather for extra luxury feeling
Heat pump - saves kwh

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Drop the mobile charger connect, you don’t need it and can either charge with the cable it comes with, or can buy a 3rd party (which will also be better quality) for half the price.

I also ordered mine without folding mirrors as I’ve never used them before. People have said the taycan is a wide car, but I don’t think its needed unless you have a tight garage.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate the response. This forum is great. Good to hear it can save about $1k.

OP
OP

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
IMHO, it’s good to have folding mirrors if you are parking on public places, or along road where someone can break it (cyclist). I couldn’t recall when I had fixed mirrors in last three decades….

Mobile charger. Depends on your home (work) installations.
i ordered it since I have three phases, 400V, 32amp at work= 22kwh (16amp, 400V at home).

don’t have experiences with surround camera at Porsche,; i’ve seen a post that fisheye-view could be dissabled, so I took it.

rwd. Personally, i preffer 4wd.

oh, about colour of interiror. don;t ask me… my wife selected brown :giggle:
Thanks so much for the great advice especially on the mirrors! Besides the snow is there are reason you like 4wd over rwd?

OP
OP

taycanfun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
1. 360 surround / panoramic definitely. There are 2 views - fish eye and non. I think it is good.

2. LED is good enough as you can't have matrix activated in USA.

3. Nice to have but not essential

4. High gloss black is better. With Gentian I would go silver.

5. Doesn't do faster unless you have the maximum electrical supply. It should be 19.6kW but apparently in USA it is limited. STD charger therefore will provide the same result and you don't need to purchase another. You would also need to add the upgraded AC charger which makes it expensive particularly if you can't get the max capability.

6. Yes tick the box and colour code.

7. All wheel drive is preferred. RWD is ultimately underpowered for a ~ 2.5 t car.
Thank you for the response- on #1. so are you saying need the surround or the non-fish you think is good? I know RWD is underpowered compared to 4s but do you think for everyday driving where I can't go super fast all the time I would still enjoy it a lot? I had a Macan S that I think went about the same 0-60 and was fine it felt. Really appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored