Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Using the first couple of thousand miles of ownership probably isn't going to match long-term range... because new Taycan = floor it a LOT more often. :D
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...This is markedly less than the 281 miles initially projected by the guess-o-meter, but that is due to the difference between the temperature in the garage and outside, I guess?
Not only, also previous consumption.

Thanks for your comments @daveo4EV Your point about the amplified impact of wind at higher speeds is very convincing. Also, it was indeed 4F colder on the way back.
And used more heating "seat warming on the way back".

All this small differences add up to explain the difference.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Thanks @PanameraFrank for these very relevant reference data. If the Trip computer takes regen into account, then the usable battery capacity is indeed likely to be more than 83.7 kWh. 88 sounds about right. Referring to @daveo4EV 's explanation in this thread why relatively small aero and other differences have a significant impact on energy consumption of an already very efficient vehicle, it seems indeed reasonable to attribute a 5-8% efficiency difference between 19" and 20" wheels. That would make sense in light of the 10-15% difference which has been quoted for the difference between 19" and 21" wheels before, although I read in other threads that the delta between 19" and 20" would be smaller than between 20" and 21" wheels.
Assuming the difference is about 10% higher consumption for the 21” wheels I do not think it matters one way or other if...

• Let us assume there are good HPC coverage on your route
  • The chargers work as they should.
  • The charging planner works and precondition battery
If you plan the route and the car will charge betweeen 5 to 80% you might stay at the chargers a minute or two longer to fill up. That is all.

Much more valuable information you provided here is the reliability and correctness of the predicted SOC at you arrival! And that was very impressive from the two reports above. Range anxiety is gone in such case, but charger anxiety is still relevant!

Really impressive range that has been achieved in your trip!

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Assuming the difference is about 10% higher consumption for the 21” wheels I do not think it matters one way or other if...

If you plan the route and the car will charge betweeen 5 to 80% you might stay at the chargers a minute or two longer to fill up. That is all.

Much more valuable information you provided here is the reliability and correctness of the predicted SOC at you arrival! And that was very impressive from the two reports above. Range anxiety is gone in such case, but charger anxiety is still relevant!

You are absolutely right @Scandinavian in your observations. Squeezing out the last mile should not be a goal in itself, particularly not with a car such as a Taycan where driving pleasure is key. Whether the car can do 210 or 250 miles in the cold of winter is less important as both are equally workable with the right planning. Reliability of the SoC% readout and the real-time range prediction are indeed key to such planning and peace of mind. Someone else on this forum said a couple of weeks ago that range anxiety disappears if you know for sure what the range actually is. Very true.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats very good range and news. I suppose I'm somewhat envious as my Turbo S has never, and never can achieve that range. And I leave my heated garage and my battery is at about 62-64 degrees when I leave (I left house Friday when it was 10 degrees and the battery temp actually dropped as I was driving to 60 degrees). Main thing I am seeing- my car shows about 43kw/100 miles.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats very good range and news. I suppose I'm somewhat envious as my Turbo S has never, and never can achieve that range. And I leave my heated garage and my battery is at about 62-64 degrees when I leave (I left house Friday when it was 10 degrees and the battery temp actually dropped as I was driving to 60 degrees). Main thing I am seeing- my car shows about 43kw/100 miles.
Would you not think that the difference may be explained by:
1) Illinois probably being colder in the winter than New Jersey is,
2) the more powerful Turbo S motors compared to those of the 4S,
3) 21" wheels (open Mission E's?) with wide tires instead of 19" (half-closed) Aero wheels with narrower tires,
4) the fact that this 33 kWh/100 miles (35.5 kWh/100 miles according to the Trip computer) run was achieved on a very uninterrupted even-speed run in Range mode?

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag

This is an excellent point. Discussions around EVs tend to focus too much on the headline range numbers. But as you point out, that's largely irrelevant once you get above, say, 200 miles or so. More important are accurate range predictions and knowing that your next charging stop is operational.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would you not think that the difference may be explained by:
1) Illinois probably being colder in the winter than New Jersey is,
2) the more powerful Turbo S motors compared to those of the 4S,
3) 21" wheels (open Mission E's?) with wide tires instead of 19" (half-closed) Aero wheels with narrower tires,
4) the fact that this 33 kWh/100 miles (35.5 kWh/100 miles according to the Trip computer) run was achieved on a very uninterrupted even-speed run in Range mode?
Very possibly. I have the Mission E wheels, and it's been very cold here. But even in the summer I was getting about 188-200 miles @ 85% charge. I drive a LOT in the summer, highway miles 85 + MPH. I also do about 135 mile commutes each day. That was becoming 185-188 miles of actual range. I am curious about how range will be this spring / summer

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Very possibly. I have the Mission E wheels, and it's been very cold here. But even in the summer I was getting about 188-200 miles @ 85% charge. I drive a LOT in the summer, highway miles 85 + MPH. I also do about 135 mile commutes each day. That was becoming 185-188 miles of actual range. I am curious about how range will be this spring / summer
Going 85+ mph is going to matter a lot more for range than being a Turbo S, having Mission E wheels, etc. I made 2 1000+mi trips in a Turbo with Mission E wheels, and both showed range above 220mi (I could've probably got at least 240 miles if I pushed). I was mostly at 75mph max.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Going 85+ mph is going to matter a lot more for range than being a Turbo S, having Mission E wheels, etc. I made 2 1000+mi trips in a Turbo with Mission E wheels, and both showed range above 220mi (I could've probably got at least 240 miles if I pushed). I was mostly at 75mph max.
To be fair, 85 is the low end of what i do. It's closer to 90-95 for about 37 miles of the ride and its about 65-68 for the second 30 miles.

But either way, for me and my two buddies, we are at 150 miles this winter at 85-90% charge. None of us do range mode. All Porsche guys that drive them hard

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
To be fair, 85 is the low end of what i do. It's closer to 90-95 for about 37 miles of the ride and its about 65-68 for the second 30 miles
there's your answer, you've chosen speed over range, you cannot have both.

I've driven teslas for the past seven years, I have driven from florida to TX to CO, to IL, to NY and up and down FL many times and I've learned the faster that you drive the more you'll have to charge. for me the sweet spot for speed was between 70 an 75 MPH and is always dependent on winds, rains, and elevation changes in order to achieve a good balance for speed vs. range. nobody is suggesting that you change your driving habits but you have nothing to stand on about your range issues, it's you, not the car that is limiting your range.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
there's your answer, you've chosen speed over range, you cannot have both.

I've driven teslas for the past seven years, I have driven from florida to TX to CO, to IL, to NY and up and down FL many times and I've learned the faster that you drive the more you'll have to charge. for me the sweet spot for speed was between 70 an 75 MPH and is always dependent on winds, rains, and elevation changes in order to achieve a good balance for speed vs. range. nobody is suggesting that you change your driving habits but you have nothing to stand on about your range issues, it's you, not the car that is limiting your range.
Yes, I drive the Taycan the same way I drive the 911 and Panamera, like a PORSCHE.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will cross my fingers for you.