Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I switched to EV with Tesla Model 3 and Model X. Then after about 4 years of ownership, I switched to the Taycan and the Etron. While both are amazing EVs to drive, I was given a Macan loaner for when my Taycan was in service, and I had so much fun with the SUV because of the engine/transmission characteristics. Taycan is undoubtedly faster than the Macan, but the sound of that engine roaring and you feel the transmission upshifting made it feel fast. I miss the little things like when you feel the down shift, or when you can pop it into manual, or even the fact that the car's transmission is nowhere near as smooth as EV. If it wasn't for the insane gas prices, I think I would rather go back to petrol and just get a 911.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Taycan and for an EV, it is arguably the best to drive. Though, sometimes I just miss the crackles and pops of an engine.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I was once given a base macan as a loaner, for me it was not very special. I've also been given a panamera, that was a decent ride

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I was once given a base macan as a loaner, for me it was not very special. I've also been given a panamera, that was a decent ride
Never drove the Panamera tbh but the Macan felt good for an SUV. Idk, I just missed the engine noise I guess. Maybe one day they will figure out how to make EV with "soul".

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
No, I'm afraid I don't understand. *sound on

Porsche Taycan Anyone bored of EV? D9489001-A719-4F77-A4C8-7C4D401A6433

Last edited:

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Since you have a multiple car household, maybe replace one of the EVs with a ICE car that makes all the right sounds and noises for you. Hold on to your favorite ICE dinosaur for as long as you can... they won't be around much longer. And having both ICE and EV in the garage will always make it a treat to go from one to the other - and you'll appreciate all the good and bad qualities of both types of vehicles even more.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I do miss the analog sports car for fun and weekends. Definitely need to enjoy that while I can. Currently waiting for an allocation somewhere.

Otherwise, don't miss ICE at all since I usually rent one for trips. I always get reminded of how EVs are much more capable (especially the linear instant torque), quiet, and maintenance-lite.

Shaf

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 Allroad
Country flag
I have Taycan which I do enjoy but it bothers me having a $100k+ car that I miles between charges. And now Porsche has doubled my charge time with the fix. The public charging infrastructure is poor and not improving at a rate that will support the desired conversion to ev.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
our fleet is a Tacyan wagon (wifes car and she drives to work + our roadtrip family car).. i have a 993 - dont drive too often as i WFH and shuttle the kids to school everyday (taycan picks them up).. 78 westy is our RV.

So, i get my working the car + noise and more a raw experience with the 993. Overall i really value having a future EV like the taycan and then a raw old-school car like the 993. Perfect balance for what i neeeed ;)

And the bus is so much fun! we camp all the time in the summer - its our summer home on the go - slow but awesome! Thinking through it, the 993 and the bus have loads of oldschool charm. We dont do too much mileage with them so we limit the environmental impact - to help with that our house is 100% electric and will pull the trigger for solar on our roof.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No. I miss having a car with a good manual transmission, and the feeling of downshifting 5th to 3rd around a corner and hearing the RPMs rise. I miss the feeling of being connected to a machine the way I was with my '83 GTI or my '97 Prelude.

But as most all ICE cars have automatic transmissions and half have pumped in noise to make up for sound isolation, the EV is just a small revolution in the ongoing evolution. And in that sense, the simplicity of the powertrain and the instant torque more than make up for whatever nostalgia I have for things going vroom vroom. If and when I decide I need a track or weekend toy, I'll be sure to get a manual transmission, high-revving vehicle. Until then, EVs beat the pants off of whatever slushbox/CVT ICE vehicle you'd be comparing them to.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I switched to EV with Tesla Model 3 and Model X. Then after about 4 years of ownership, I switched to the Taycan and the Etron. While both are amazing EVs to drive, I was given a Macan loaner for when my Taycan was in service, and I had so much fun with the SUV because of the engine/transmission characteristics. Taycan is undoubtedly faster than the Macan, but the sound of that engine roaring and you feel the transmission upshifting made it feel fast. I miss the little things like when you feel the down shift, or when you can pop it into manual, or even the fact that the car's transmission is nowhere near as smooth as EV. If it wasn't for the insane gas prices, I think I would rather go back to petrol and just get a 911.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Taycan and for an EV, it is arguably the best to drive. Though, sometimes I just miss the crackles and pops of an engine.
I dont have a Taycan yet but am already feeling some separation anxiety about getting rid of the Panamera whenever the Taycan finally arrives. I plan to get a manual 911 in the next 2-3 years before they become really difficult to get.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Never drove the Panamera tbh but the Macan felt good for an SUV. Idk, I just missed the engine noise I guess. Maybe one day they will figure out how to make EV with "soul".
Oh God, the ‘soul’ nonsense again. It’s just metal, plastic, and glass. And none of it has been truly analog in almost 20 years.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Oh God, the ‘soul’ nonsense again. It’s just metal, plastic, and glass. And none of it has been truly analog in almost 20 years.
I love how quick you are to dismiss this. Did you know that Taycan’s tagline is soul electrified? So yeah you can say it’s just metal and glass but that doesn’t mean we can’t form attachments to cars with a certain trait. Soul is a probably an exaggeration for what we feel when more than one senses have been engaged.
Fun fact: that’s potentially one reason why we like crunchy food, because it’s auditory.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I love how quick you are to dismiss this. Did you know that Taycan’s tagline is soul electrified? So yeah you can say it’s just metal and glass but that doesn’t mean we can’t form attachments to cars with a certain trait. Soul is a probably an exaggeration for what we feel when more than one senses have been engaged.
Fun fact: that’s potentially one reason why we like crunchy food, because it’s auditory.
I think his point is most cars haven’t had “soul” in decades in the way cars of old did. I think the Taycan has about as much “soul” as you can muster for an EV, and for that it is widely celebrated.

im sure once upon a time they bemoaned the loss of the equine-man connection offered by birthing your own horse and then riding it until it died of old age, but progress moves on.