Clear Side Markers

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche doesn't have different markers in the US because they like orange. They're DOT required, so Porsche won't ever be offering them officially, as they technically aren't road legal.
Interesting. I didn't know about the DOT.

In all my previous Porsche cars the dealership had the clear markers in stock and swapped them out for me upon deliver. But you cannot buy it off the floor with them installed. I always wondered why it was after I bought the car that they would swap them out. Now with the DOT color it makes sense.
Sponsored

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
To clarify; US cars are required to have amber reflectors and lights for import. Some states are also required to have front license plates. But your dealer will still install clear markers or not install a front license plate in a state that requires them at your request.

The issue, I believe, is not the light portion but that cars must have amber REFLECTORS. Porsche does this by making the light casing reflective amber, thus satisfying both portions at once. Changing to clear removes the amber reflector but keeps the light.

It's Porsche's responsibility to manufacture & ship cars that meet regulations and the owner's responsibility to keep the car compliant, the dealership is not responsible.

By installing the clear markers you are technically in violation. However, the word technically is used very strongly here as you're almost certainly not going to get in trouble.

@rquinton It's just the cost of the clear markers to have them installed at/before delivery. You can look that up on Suncoast. I have not heard of anyone paying for the labor, my dealer offered to do it for free but I didn't get the markers in time.
Great explanation!! Thanks for taking the time.

mike-taycan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Super easy install. I didn't mess with the spacers as mine fit snug and had no play. Spacers probably helps with a rubbing of hard plastic on the body but I didn't feel like dealing with it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
dealer installed mine while swapping the Pano roof glass (damaged during transport) - they look great with the Gentian Blue…

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
dealer installed mine while swapping the Pano roof glass (damaged during transport) - they look great with the Gentian Blue…
Left ours orange because it is a better color match with Carmine Red and the nearby ceramic disc brakes. The silver stripe effect of clear ones would not be a better match.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
Really good instructions, thank you OP, and everyone else that chimed in with tips. I wound up not using the spacers on the new lights because the fit was just too tight. I saved them in case I ever change my mind about using them.

Kool Kid

First Name
marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2013 Porsche 991C2
Country flag
my dealer gives them as a gift for 911 owners, i asked them to change them out on my taycan coming this week (hopefully - been 2.5 mo since car built) and they agreed for no fee

pkkaiser

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100DL and soon a Taycan!
Country flag
Ridiculously easy to do this. Literally one screw.

My originals did not have the clip (that needs to be removed and crazy glued back on) so I didn't need to do anything to the new lights. There was some stuck on foam on the top edge on both sides. I peeled that off and stuck on the new ones but i am sure they are not needed.

A few items from the nice step by step from the other page to make it more obvious. To pull out look at the new one and see how there is a latch at the front end, by tilting out the light it makes it easier to disengage this latch.

Porsche Taycan Clear Side Markers IMG_2017.JPG

The tab is easier if you then tilt lens in the other direction. It is circled in yellow and just needs to be pushed in and the light comes out easily. If you have taken the one screw out of the tire well, then you can use your other finger to hold other side as you press on it and pull gently out. A good idea is to mentally note how far the plug is in the original light before pulling since I was not sure how far the new light needed to go in.

Porsche Taycan Clear Side Markers IMG_2018.JPG
Porsche Taycan Clear Side Markers IMG_2019.JPG

Pre-scewing is key to make it easier to mount the new light when it is placed back in place. Be sure to re-engage the front tab as this may be why some people do not have flush light.. Literally 5 minutes per side, done. And it looks amazing...And yes it has been raining a lot and mud on the road on the way to my house. Will be cleaning the car next week!

Porsche Taycan Clear Side Markers IMG_2016.JPG

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Not sure if we need more validation that this is an easy mod...but happy to have swapped mine out. Took me about 15 min.
Porsche Taycan Clear Side Markers 6531AB58-B49A-406B-840C-086F8F4BB8B4

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@MN_taycan
Hi......do you have a quick reference for a guide or instructions to replace these side lights ?

Not sure if we need more validation that this is an easy mod...but happy to have swapped mine out. Took me about 15 min.
6531AB58-B49A-406B-840C-086F8F4BB8B4.jpeg

MN_taycan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 Audi S7, 1972 Datsun 240Z
Country flag
Check out starting with Post #22 of this thread. Several of us who have done it have given our instructions and tips.
Yup - I bought the Porsche replacements from Suncoast and used the step-by-step instructions folks posted in the thread, above.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
thanks.....will work on it tomorrow

Yup - I bought the Porsche replacements from Suncoast and used the step-by-step instructions folks posted in the thread, above.