Electrical system error -- dashboard notification -- anyone else experience this? -- resolution - defective 12v battery

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Found this forum and thread by having a Google of this issue.
I picked up my Taycan Turbo yesterday afternoon and drove it about 30 miles home, got about ½m into my journey to work this morning and had this warning come up.
Spoke to the Porsche dealer and they said they had never heard of the issue before, have since been back and told them about what I have seen here and elsewhere and they are still saying this is a new problem.
Sounds like it is one that has been around for a while and one that is still not recognised by Porsche, my car was built 2 weeks ago.

Darren:

First question is did the car reset and clear the fault when you turned off the car, and then turned back on? If that did not clear the fault, then you have an issue.

Second, I would tell your dealership to stop playing dumb. There have been many well documented electrical issues with the Taycan - the vast majority dealing with a faulty 12v battery. In some cases, like mine, the DC/DC converter was replaced in order for the vehicle to stop throwing electrical faults. I would not hesitate to escalate to regional Porsche people if you start to see the fault happen regularly, since that is how I eventually got mine fixed properly.

It sucks this happened to you, and good luck.
Sponsored

TaycanTurboUK

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, i8 going soon
Country flag
Thank you for the reply.

I left it for a couple of hours then took it for a 20 minute spin, and then did the same a couple of hours after that, both times no error so fingers crossed.

Dealer said later today they had one other car that had a red warning, pull over immediately, and said cleared itself so I should be ok!

Am going to run it over Xmas and see how it goes. Had all sorts of issues with the last car, that was a hybrid but all software related.

Have a great Christmas, stay safe and sane :)

Darren

Olli-X

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks a lot for these postings.
I had this error message in September and again beginning of December. Couldn't move the Taycan for an hour. 12v battery had been replaced in September but error appeared again in December. Car was three times in service. DC/DC converter has not been replaced to my knowledge.

Taycan214

First Name
Kalesha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
We purchased a Turbo 12/14 & Since then the vehicle has been back at the dealership twice for the 12V battery error. The first time the batter was replaced, now they’re saying the high voltage converter has to be replaced, and the vehicle should be ready in the coming week. We haven’t even put 100 miles on it since we took delivery & as much as I love the car, at this point I may consider options to return the car. Has anyone had any luck w/ Porsche in paying for a note, or returning the vehicle all together. I feel as though they won’t be as urgent to rectify the problem until it comes to them having to pay for loss of use to the owners, or worse.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

Kalesha:

My 4s was in the shop for four weeks in the fist two months I had the vehicle. They replaced the 12v battery, but my car was still throwing off electrical faults. After I escalated ot Porsche NA, they replaced the converter. This happened in the beginning of August, and have since put 9,000 miles on my Taycan and not a single issue.

My advice would be to escalate to Porsche NA for compensation for the inconvenience, and then let them replace the converter. It should resolve the car issues.

Taycan214

First Name
Kalesha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Kalesha:

My 4s was in the shop for four weeks in the fist two months I had the vehicle. They replaced the 12v battery, but my car was still throwing off electrical faults. After I escalated ot Porsche NA, they replaced the converter. This happened in the beginning of August, and have since put 9,000 miles on my Taycan and not a single issue.

My advice would be to escalate to Porsche NA for compensation for the inconvenience, and then let them replace the converter. It should resolve the car issues.
Thanks for the reassurance!! We were worried that we had a problem child on our hands. The dealership just called an hour ago and they’ve replaced the converter & ran several test, and said it’s been fine since. We’re picking it up tomorrow in hopes that we’ll be able to finally enjoy it as we hoped.

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Taycan Turbo S, Macan Turbo,
Country flag
I had this on my new taycan turbo S immediately after just the second DC charging en route home from taking delivery of the car. The dealer advised I get out of the car, lock it, and go for a 10 minute coffee. When I got back all was fine. Made it home no problems and another DC charge, no problems for the following week which includes nightly AC charging at home..

Olli-X

First Name
Oli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I had this on my new taycan turbo S immediately after just the second DC charging en route home from taking delivery of the car. The dealer advised I get out of the car, lock it, and go for a 10 minute coffee. When I got back all was fine. Made it home no problems and another DC charge, no problems for the following week which includes nightly AC charging at home..
Very interesting, I will try this next time the error occurs (error occurred two times for my Taycan after car was not used and not charged for 2-3 days).

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
My Technician also told me that this technique will reset all Non-Fatal Faults:

-Turn off car.
-Get out
-Lock car
-Walk away (the key must not be near the car)
-Wait 15 minutes
-Return and unlock car.
-Turn on car, and drive away.

Reactions: PAB

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am surprised that the dealer did not ask to get the car back for diagnostics. This seems to be a good way to hide problems that eventually can become fatal. It is probably ok for resetting a ParkAssist error, but if you reset "electrical fault"-kind of problems you might end up with a bigger issue later.

PAB

First Name
PAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Taycan Turbo S, Macan Turbo,
Country flag
I am surprised that the dealer did not ask to get the car back for diagnostics. This seems to be a good way to hide problems that eventually can become fatal. It is probably ok for resetting a ParkAssist error, but if you reset "electrical fault"-kind of problems you might end up with a bigger issue later.
Dealer is 450km away. If it happens a couple more times the dealer indeed wants to check the car.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
"Resetting" the error doesn't mean erasing it. The car still keeps it in the log files. It just allows the driver to carry on with their day. The car (or rather the software engineers who wrote the code) judges it to be non-fatal, and therefore safe to drive.

a13xgh

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Guys,

My Taycan 4s done around 2000 miles and received the Red Electrical System Fault Error around 3 weeks back. The issue occurred after my car was left overnight on AC charge. When I came to drive the car it wouldn't start. Porsche have had the car for the last two weeks and delivered my car back to me a few days back. The advised they had done a battery calibration and advised the 12v battery had drained causing the issue.

I didn't drive it but when they delivered it back, when I tried to drive the car a day later the same warning light appeared and the car wouldn't start.

It's now gone back to Porsche and they have now advised they need to change the main HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY and not the 12v battery as you all have suggested. Service advisor indicated that one of the cells within the battery maybe defective as it wont calibrate again. Ive now been without my car coming up to 4 weeks, i'm currently waiting for a new battery to be delivered from Germany and the car needs to go to be towed to another dealership that has the capabilities of removing the main HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY. ( with a double bay service area and two fork lifts) Service advisor has also mentioned he has had another Taycan with the same issue and Porsche replaced the main HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY.

Ill keep you guys informed but thought ill share this with you all as it maybe a new advisory from head office.

Cheers Guys
Regards

Alex

Porsche Taycan Electrical system error --  dashboard notification  --  anyone else experience this?  --  resolution  -  defective 12v battery 20210213_141609

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had this once but that was due to driving out of the garage without my PVTS tracker fob. Once I retrieved the fob and powered up all was well.

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
Kalesha:

What is the dc converter if I may ask
Sponsored