PoorShah

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan GTS, 64 Chevelle SS, BMW 7LI, X-Plaid
Country flag
Hoping this might help some people who are looking to buy …

So, depreciation keeps coming up in conversation. It’s fair to say Taycan has a sharp depreciation curve. Let’s reverse engineer this for a second. How many would buy again knowing what they know now? And how many would have bought used? I’ll go first, I sold my 4 year old Tesla at tail end of Covid for exactly what I paid for it 4 years prior (50k). I have a 2023 GTS I bought for 151k plus I got the 7500 rebate. I took that 50k out of Tesla, put it in Money Market yielding 5+% and took out a 84 month loan at 3.8% from my local credit union. Today that Tesla would have been worth 20k or less. So, I’m probably net neutral have a much cooler new car and I’d absolutely do it all over again. I can’t say I would have bought used then (market was 30k over sticker), with no inventory BUT if I had to buy now I’d 100% buy preowned. There’s nothing I’d want besides the Taycan - it’s phenomenal and will be for many years to come. I plan on keeping it 5+ years. Fingers crossed, one year car has been absolutely rock solid.

I’m at a place in life now where if I can buy happiness, enjoyment, and or experience, well then buy the darn thing. And I have already (2020 to a new GTS) despite the depreciation and reliability issues early on.

buy used? I guess i would if I was concerned about $$$, but not possible in my household. the SO thinks used cars are disgusting and for imposters. Unlike myself, she grew up on the other side of the train tracks and theres no fix for that.

If there’s anything I would have changed, i would have just custom ordered an taycan to paint match a color that nobody has. But im impulsive and impatient so that would be impractical.
Sponsored

Paul Zirlin

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
All cars depreciate, specially if you drive it. Even my Ferrari with 40k miles would probably fetch the same resale as a salvaged title car. Doesnt change the fact that my taycan is an awesome daily that I’m blessed to be driving every day. What a life I get to live. It was the right car when I was shopping and nothing has changed.
Completely agree........Every day I drive makes me happy.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
My plan is to drive mine until there are used versions of the next gen out there, hopefully with a solid state battery. I’m thinking that will be in about 4-5 years.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I love mine and would buy again. Nothing I’d change about my car but would probably consider PTS more seriously and spring for different wheels. Though I really do like frozen berry and would probably pick a similar color anyways.

Dufferman12

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 2018 9114S Targa, 1911 Model T Torpedo
Country flag
We love our second 4S. It is a great car and is a looker. Workmanship is outstanding. While we had some problems (like all) with the 2020, the 2023 is great (except for when the charger got stuck in the charging port and manual release would NOT work) Probably should have waited on the 2020 for bugs to be worked out. Would buy it again for SURE! Depreciation Smeshiation. It's a Porsche.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Taycan GTS (ordered)
Country flag
I would absolutely get another. Everyday brings delight to my senses while driving the Taycan. I would buy new again, only in a different config. 😊

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
I think it probably for most people boils down to whether they want/insist on an EV. I do, so absolutely I'd buy again because IMHO there isn't a better EV on the market. Yes I'd rather the depreciation hit be less, but the high depreciation for all EV's as well as most luxury cars in general is just a fact of life. Either you deal with it or you don't. I choose to deal with it. That said, I wouldn't be adverse to buying a lightly used model next time. However mine is a 2022 with ridiculously low mileage because I only use it 6 months a year when we're in Asheville (which is where it's permanently garaged), so I don't envision getting a replacement in even the next 3 or 4 years.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I would buy again and the exact same spec and colour. Had the car 6 months and no regrets, no problems. Yes the depreciation bugs me a bit but I always planned to keep it for 5 years so it doesn't matter much at the moment. In the meantime I'm planning on buying a Cayman 987.2 or 981 which is sure to hold its value and I can then have a bit of fun on track days although I plan to track the GTS this year.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I wasted far too much time trying to get an e-tron test drive in South London. 4 dealerships with missed appointments, unreturned calls and no help from Audi UK. Suffice to say if you can’t do pre sales what hope do you have with after sales so I won’t be buying Audi again.

On the OP’s question I can’t go back to ICE and the Taycan is still the best EV for me. I would likely buy second hand without the UK tax breaks though.
I bought a demo with healthy discount and still counts as a new car … happy times.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't care a rat’s ass about my Taycan’s depreciation because I'm never going to sell it. I love my car! Honestly, it's nearly perfect, the only flaw being the inconvenience of EA’s massive pain-in-the-ass charging infrastructure on road trips, which frankly don't come that often as I charge at home 99% of the time.

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender P400e. Taycan 4S Perf+
Country flag
I’d argue that if you worry about depreciation then don’t buy a £100k motor vehicle.

I would buy again in a heartbeat

Depreciation does bother me - I slogged hard to get to the financial position to be able to afford indulgences like the Taycan. Some might even say I'm 'thrifty' ;). I have been a little surprised at how soft residual values have been recently and the lack of value ascribed to those costly options and expected a bit better of the Taycan.

However, it really is an exceptional car in so many ways and the % depreciation on list value is still relatively good so would I rather lose say £40k+ over 3 years on a Taycan than say £30k on a 'hum drum' alternative. Taycan, 911, Cayman, even the Macan, are all exceptional cars that I've never regretted owning.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I wasted far too much time trying to get an e-tron test drive in South London. 4 dealerships with missed appointments, unreturned calls and no help from Audi UK. Suffice to say if you can’t do pre sales what hope do you have with after sales so I won’t be buying Audi again.

On the OP’s question I can’t go back to ICE and the Taycan is still the best EV for me. I would likely buy second hand without the UK tax breaks though.
My Audi dealer in Bristol is light years ahead of Porsche OPC in terms of sales ‘customer service’ .Sales staff at Porsche appear to be looking to extract every penny from you and I don’t appreciate being told I could lose my place on their fictional GT3 waiting list if I didn’t buy from them! Fortunately Service staff are good but delays with bookings, no loan cars etc etc an p poor Porsche customer care 0ffered me just ove £400 for being without a car for 2 weeks- grrrrr

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
My plan is to drive mine until there are used versions of the next gen out there, hopefully with a solid state battery. I’m thinking that will be in about 4-5 years.
This. Or even better, find the means to retrofit a next gen battery into the current body. (It’s just a bit of soldering and 3 bolts, right?)

I’m going to wax lyrical for a second here - there is something about forming a bond with a car that has provided one with memorable experiences, and keeping that car in great (mechanical) shape whatever it takes. Of all I’ve owned only 2 made it to that status; my much-maligned 996, and now the Taycan; the former has been rejuvenated (new suspension, is getting now a new engine) to the point where the “investment” in it has now exceeded 2x the purchase price (not new). I definitely see doing the same for the Taycan - when the time comes.
Sponsored