First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Team Taycan

I have heard from a few folks already about whether or not to get the thermo insulated glass. Based on the results, I am leaning towards getting it -- mainly because I like the idea of having a very quiet car (would be a cool feeling).

Why don't I just spend the $1k?

I want to make sure folks are not having cell phone issues -- there have been a few folks complaining that the glass blocks coverage. It could be a one off...but want to check.

FYI -- I don't car about impact on radar since I don't use a gun

Thanks for your patience!
Sam
Sponsored

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I am having the same dilemma, at first I was kind of against it just in case of cell phone problems, but now I am thinking that the extra noise reduction and insulation from heat in the summer will be really nice to have.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Thermally insulated is standard - noise insulation is optional.

'Windshield, side windows (front and rear) as well as rear glass with thermally and noise insulated glass for increased comfort. The laminated construction with two panes of glass features an acoustic interlayer together with UV protection and heat reflection to improve interior climate comfort, as well as reduced external noise, for a quieter and more pleasant interior environment."

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I do NOT have the noise reduction glass, and I find my Taycan RWD to be a bit noisy on the highway. Its not super noisy but with music off, I can hear the road pretty well. Most of the time I drive with music on so I don't hear the road noise.

That said, I don't know how much road noise would be reduced with the noise reduction glass or if it will affect the cell phone signal. Someone who has extensively driven both types would have to comment on this.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Facts:
It reduces noise by 7,3% in a specified Hz range. I wouldn't say it is significant.
- Reduces ambient noise mostly.
- Very little road noise insulation.
- Not noticeable wind noise insulation. It is generating around the window and other frames, mirrors and other "edgy" parts. Lets say "on the car". This glass working "out of the car".

I wouldn't say it is a wasted money, in city the sorrounding voice will be less (by exactly 7,3%), that is noticeable.
Wind and road noise reduction is marginal. If you expect effects on these sides, you will be disappointed.

See bellow description by Porsche.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-insulated-glass-christophorus-401-26834.html

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Facts:
It reduces noise by 7,3% in a specified Hz range.
What is that specified range? For a range to be specified, it needs the top and bottom numbers to be given. Also, what about other ranges? Do you have a link to the source which perhaps shows the attenuation over different frequency ranges?

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Get the Noise and Thermal glass option. It truly works in keeping the car cool in the summer and has the added benefit of increasing your range as the AC doesn’t have to work as hard to keep the car cool.

Last summer my wife and drove to LA from the Bay Area. It was about 105 degrees in the Central Valley on I-5 and my wife actually complained that the car was too cold. The AC was set to 72, so she set her side to 74 and the AC was running at barely a whisper.

I also love the noise insulating quality. I was in traffic a day or two ago next to an extremely loud diesel school bus and the windows were down. I rolled them up and the cacophony from the bus almost entirely disappeared.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Team Taycan

I have heard from a few folks already about whether or not to get the thermo insulated glass. Based on the results, I am leaning towards getting it -- mainly because I like the idea of having a very quiet car (would be a cool feeling).

I want to make sure folks are not having cell phone issues -- there have been a few folks complaining that the glass blocks coverage. It could be a one off...but want to check.

Sam
I don’t expect it to be magic but I think it’s a good idea to get double paned glass on a frameless window. I expect moderately quiet interior and a more robust connection between the glass and the door over time.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is that specified range? For a range to be specified, it needs the top and bottom numbers to be given. Also, what about other ranges? Do you have a link to the source which perhaps shows the attenuation over different frequency ranges?
Link is there at the end of my answer.

But heir again:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-insulated-glass-christophorus-401-26834.html

Frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz.
Out of this range there is no effect per article.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Link is there at the end of my answer.

But heir again:

Frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz.
Out of this range there is no effect per article.
Thanks. I see. The article looks written by marketing. If that is 7.3% reduction of decibels (standard unit for sound measurement), it could be significant since dB is a logarithmic scale, rather than linear. It also seems odd that there is absolutely no effect under 630 Hz - perhaps sub 1 dB didn't look significant to marketing. I wish they had included an attenuation graph comparing standard glass vs. noise insulated one, for the entire audio hearing range.

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Team Taycan

Sam
It is a well priced option that positively impacts noise and heat transmission, no question. My CT is my second EV with double pane glass.

I have driven Audi e-tron’s not so-equipped back to back with my own and there is no question that the insulated glass makes a noticeable difference. I have not compared Taycans with and without back to back, but my perception is that the Taycan is in the same league as the Audi in the areas controllable by the glass (ambient, wind). Road noise is higher, but that is a function of tarmac quality and my opting for 21’s. A Taycan on 19’s, or even 20’s, with the optional glass would be wonderfully quiet.

So far, absolutely no problems with cellular reception. I’m on the T-Mobile network frequencies. Some networks, some bands, might be a problem so I can only speak for T-Mobile US. Since my car is a 2022, there is no signal booster. On a related note, my Pixel 6 wirelessly charges rapidly and with minimal heating. Wasn’t expecting that.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I see. The article looks written by marketing. If that is 7.3% reduction of decibels (standard unit for sound measurement), it could be significant since dB is a logarithmic scale, rather than linear. It also seems odd that there is absolutely no effect under 630 Hz - perhaps sub 1 dB didn't look significant to marketing. I wish they had included an attenuation graph comparing standard glass vs. noise insulated one, for the entire audio hearing range.
The good news it is not a heavy stuff, on Panamera 2kg less than normal.
Tomorrow afternoon I will have this GTS ST with insulated glass maybe will have time to bring out this black 4S normal glass after each other.
On the other hand as I mentioned (in other same subject threat), I could test it on Hockenheimring back to back on track full day but could not feel any diff honestly (wind or road noise).

Maybe I did too much disco young time, I do not know.

I am neutral, do not have commitment pro/con.

Porsche Taycan Insulated Glass 1644363376943

Porsche Taycan Insulated Glass 1644363295736

Porsche Taycan Insulated Glass 1644363844728

Last edited:

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The article looks written by marketing.
This is from Jürgen Ochs, Head of Sound Quality, Car Bodies, at Porsche.
"This reduces outside noise by up to 7.3 per cent in a frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz. “That doesn’t sound like much, but everyone who’s ever tested the difference in driving conditions is impressed,” continues Ochs."
See in the article.