LED Matrix Headlights

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
On what basis? They never claimed matrix lights worked in this market, nor did they claim that they would if the law changed.
They sold a product that was deactivated due to DOT regulations. The simple solution would have been to ever offer the option here, but they sold it and now there are no restrictions on its functionality
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
They sold a product that was deactivated due to DOT regulations. The simple solution would have been to ever offer the option here, but they sold it and now there are no restrictions on its functionality
I’m still not sure what difference that makes? Porsche was very clear that they operated as a single light source. If someone bought it under the assumption it would be activated later, that’s on the buyer.

And (apparently) some people are willing to pay for just the looks, so why not offer?

Note: Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I’m still not sure what difference that makes? Porsche was very clear that they operated as a single light source. If someone bought it under the assumption it would be activated later, that’s on the buyer.

And (apparently) some people are willing to pay for just the looks, so why not offer?
Exactly; amazing how much people don’t seem to be aware of the responsibility of a buyer to know what they are getting (or not getting). The product was not misrepresented in the material and therefore they have no legal responsibility to update exiting cars. Pretty sure the original notice material would have been placed by Porsche’s legal counsel.

I would be interested to know if Porsche will offer it as a purchasable “retrofit” in the US where we can now pay to have the feature enabled.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag

I’m one of the ones that brought them for the look - in black …. I knew what I was and was not getting and had no expectation that I would see this change after the fact.

fmorris26

First Name
Fredrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4, 911 Carera 4, BMW 520 Xd
Country flag
My 2022 CT4 has PDLS+ and I can assure you that the features you outline are not functioning. I had the dealer check the lights & they reported that they were working as they should from what they could tell. If I were ordering again, I would save $ and not include PDLS+.
This is interesting! I have the Matrix option that also includes PDLS+. Matrix works fine but none of the PDLS+ features work. My car was delivered December 2021 and is MY22. I have complained to my local Porsche dealer and they say that they can't find anything wrong with the lights. They even borrowed it overnight to test it on the road at night. I am not satisfied with their conclusion and will continue to complain!

AnloTaycan2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
I got the Matrix LED PDLS+ option in canada but frankly didn’t notice any operating difference being Matrix or not. Most interesting features are anyhow included in the PDLS+.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I got the Matrix LED PDLS+ option in canada but frankly didn’t notice any operating difference being Matrix or not. Most interesting features are anyhow included in the PDLS+.
Last night we drove to a new section of road, which was not lit very well. There were 3 street signs right after one another. As we approach each sign, it lit up significantly then you clearly see it flickers down as you’re about to pass it, and the next sign litted up. It felt exactly like how I would flip between high and low on a dark road except it’s off to side and way up high on the signs. No changes straight ahead though. Once I happen to call for high beam so I see farther ahead then I notice the sign quickly got dim so it looks like they can’t be used simultaneously. I don’t see the auto high beam working even though the setting is on, but that’s ok because it was really annoying when I experienced that while driving my mom’s Lexus once.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No pun intended but the comparison between matrix and led is night and day.

Road signage is specifically highlighted by individual LEDs (you can't miss it) - automatically disabled at speeds below 40mph and in the presence of street lighting (as is the PDLS functionality) - this doesn't occur with standard led / PDLS.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Any news on when (whether?) Porsche will be enabling full matrix functionality on Taycans?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone know ANY manufacturer who sells them enabled in the USA? Or was the news of Biden administration allowing matrix headlights completely premature and overblown, the reality being "they are planning to think about it how to do it" rather than "have actually done it".

Last edited:

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
Anyone know ANY manufacturer who sells them enabled in the USA? Or was the news of Biden administration allowing matrix headlights completely premature and overblown, the reality being "they are planning to think about it how to do it" rather than "have actually done it".
The Department of Transportation has written the final rules for matrix/laser lights for the US. Of course they are different than EU rules and most companies are trying to decide if they should bother to code them on for the US, or just leave them as is. I believe the max lumens is lower in the US than allowed in the EU.

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
Whether or not the car was sold with the promise of matrix headlights, Porsche has an opportunity to gain goodwill by enabling it for current purchasers, even if it requires a dealer visit to recode. It's not a make or break issue for me personally, but would positively affect my future car decisions.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whether or not the car was sold with the promise of matrix headlights, Porsche has an opportunity to gain goodwill by enabling it for current purchasers, even if it requires a dealer visit to recode. It's not a make or break issue for me personally, but would positively affect my future car decisions.
That is a separate issue. AFAIK Porsche is not even enabling matrix on brand new cars being produced today, which would be a precursor to enabling it in existing cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Department of Transportation has written the final rules for matrix/laser lights for the US. Of course they are different than EU rules and most companies are trying to decide if they should bother to code them on for the US, or just leave them as is. I believe the max lumens is lower in the US than allowed in the EU.
I wonder why? Probably to be different, justify their paychecks. It may end up being the red turn signals story all over again - technically amber is allowed, but rules different than the rest of the world plus ambiguous in places, so most companies stick with red for NA even though they have amber, which has been proven safer, everywhere else in the world.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update, for what it's worth. I spoke with a PCNA rep today giving a presentation on a Taycan. He told us that the first Porsche to have matrix headlights enabled in the USA will be the MY24 Cayenne (or Macan I don't remember for sure, apparently new headlight design - perhaps NHTSA regulations require something not present in current hardware?). He also mentioned that earlier cars may not be able to be retrofitted due to regulations which require a car manufactured in a particular year to follow safety regulations from that year.

The same rep told us that charging a Taycan from L1 chargers (120V) will will completely drain the 12V battery because it takes many, many hours during which the 12V battery is drained but never replenished, and that Taycan brake lights only go on if the Taycan is decelerating at a faster rate then 3.8m/s/s regardless of speed. The first one was true long time ago, the second one was never true, hence my qualifier "for what it's worth" - the rep's info may be out of date or plane wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: