Performance drop with low SOC?

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I remembered that the voltage range for the battery is published. It's 835V (full) to 610V (depleted), so 27% reduction in performance.
Sponsored

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think the software must throttle the available power back as the power drive bar illustrates. Either way I’m not sure why Porsche don’t publicise how available power and regen are impacted by temperature and battery SoC.

Reactions: TIM

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Either way I’m not sure why Porsche don’t publicise how available power and regen are impacted by temperature and battery SoC.
I guess it would be bad for marketing if they said horsepower is down 300 hp when SOC < x%

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag
On arrival at work this morning, charge level 60%, battery temp 22C and the power meter had not dropped since I first got in at 85% with battery pre-heated to 12C.

I understand what is being said about the power meter only being full with launch control, I have definitely read somewhere that you only get full power with launch control so that's fair enough.

Will be keeping a close eye on my way home as battery will drop to 40% or less.

Learning a lot from this, I like the battery temp line on the cluster, hadn't even considered changing those before.

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It is documented full power can only be achieved with Overboost with Launch Control which increase hp from 616 to 670 for the Turbo model. The power drive bar shows this nicely on the power display.

Will be interesting to understand how your available power reduces as your battery SoC reduces past 50%. I have no doubt battery temperature also impacts the available power.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So battery at 31% when I got home, temp was 27C. Power meter had still not moved down at all. Quite pleased with that. Preheated for 10 mins or so before leaving work

Going to try roughly the same tomorrow without preheating at all

Ideally want to get below 30% to see what happens, should’ve gone round the block really

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Can you take a pic and share? Be good to see and have a record to share with Porsche as appears inconsistent. Even better if you can include battery temp, SoC and outside air temp.

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I’ve struggled to recreate some of the things discussed. Taken several photos during the week, only to sit and look at them now and realise a lot of them are blurry ?. I’ll share some of them. The most interesting one is first, although it has just occurred to me I was in sport plus and should’ve checked if switching to normal made a difference. From what I’ve seen I don’t think it would’ve. Also want to get into the car with a below 30% charge and not pre-warmed. Strangely this week even with no pre-warm and the outside temp down below 4 the battery didn’t ever seem that cold.

Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? FA6F7A30-FCE3-45B6-89E6-1E085218D75E
Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 5D993DFC-14AE-48B0-8D7C-C96CCD0AAC22
Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 4B51F73B-B30C-450C-B70C-96BA087084CF

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So to summarise even when the battery has been as low as 8C (the lowest I’ve seen this week) and the charge was below 50% I didn’t get a loss of power.
If I can get the car below 30% and get in when the battery is nearer 0C that will be the real test now. I’ll have to be at home for that though, and not need to go into work or any other reasonable journey so may take me a while

Rob_UK

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good info.

I’ve noticed available power is nearly always max with battery soc c>55% irrespective of battery temperature. However as the soc decreases lower than 50%, battery temperature has a material impact on available power.

It will be interesting to see your available power with a battery temp <5c and soc <30%.

Sports plus heats the battery and have found my available power increases as the battery warms which is needed with a low battery temperature and soc.

Reactions: TIM

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
it would help so much, if there would be a diagnostic tool like available for BMW and VW, Audi, Tesla etc.

Afaik you can at least check for actual currents from HV Battery with Cayenne (S hybrid) diagnostic tools.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It would be great to see a 3D graph showing available power vs charge vs battery temperature. I'm sure this exists, but we could generate it with enough data.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
It would be great to see a 3D graph showing available power vs charge vs battery temperature. I'm sure this exists, but we could generate it with enough data.
I suspect Taycan will be similar to Tesla - here is a quick google for Tesla model 3. Full article here. They also mention there was not much of a difference in power below 45 mph. The temperature part is obviously missing....

Porsche Taycan Performance drop with low SOC? 1610898802512

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I think you can not compare Taycan Performance with Tesla. At least not with Model S. They suffer with every single % of SoC loss. Taycan's power ouput is kept to a constant at least until 50% SoC (and okay temp)

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The photos is the previous post are from a 4S. Maybe the power loss at low SOC and low battery temperature only happens to Turbo (S).
The 4S max power is already lower than a Turbo and the battery can probably provide the max power even at low SOC.
Sponsored