PMCC - Overheated

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
So I got a new charger, one very recently manufactured, and the exact same overheating issue. Nothing has changed so I assume this overheating is part of the deal.

One thing I did notice today, that I never really noticed before, is that when I plug in my charger, a fan comes on and starts blowing air in the front wheel well on the side of the car that is connected to the charger. The other side has nothing.

I disconnected the charger and the fan went off. I then connected it again and the fan went on, so it is surely coming on as a result of plugging in the charger.

I had never really noticed this before, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yes when my Taycan is plugged in there is an exhaust fan that comes on while charging.

the PMCC is not the best EVSE on the market - I’m happier with other choices that do not overheat.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes when my Taycan is plugged in there is an exhaust fan that comes on while charging.

the PMCC is not the best EVSE on the market - I’m happier with other choices that do not overheat.
Have there been a conclusions as to which EVSE charger is best for 19.2 kW?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Gen2 Tesla Wall Chargers worked for years charging my Model S @ 80 amps, and my wife’s X at 72 amps

ClipperCreek EVSE’s are rock solid and offer 64 & 80 amp models that do not overheat. There are not a lot of choices for 19.2 kw (80 amp) EVSE’s in north america - to date I’m un-aware of an 80 amp 19.2 kW Porsche Mobile Connect Charger available for purchase or delivered in North America.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Gen2 Tesla Wall Chargers worked for years charging my Model S @ 80 amps, and my wife’s X at 72 amps

ClipperCreek EVSE’s are rock solid and offer 64 & 80 amp models that do not overheat. There are not a lot of choices for 19.2 kw (80 amp) EVSE’s in north america - to date I’m un-aware of an 80 amp 19.2 kW Porsche Mobile Connect Charger available for purchase or delivered in North America.
Thanks.

Viv S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera/Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for your thread, as I was wondering if I should buy the casing I think I will rather buy the Wall Bracket
TE20MODTD0030_low_Wandhalterung_Basis_huge.jpg

No so nice (at least less bulky) but maybe less trouble, and lucky me as my future Taycan will be a MY2021 the connect mobile charger comes as a free option
Hi, I am trying to decide what kind of options I need to get for my Taycan. I am new to this new EV world. May I ask you a few questions? I will be charging my car 95% at home. I don't want to spend hours charging the car. What options do I need to buy? Is it OK for me to just get this wall bracket and the on board 150kw charger (to save me some time)? Thank you.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Viv S

ummm - for home charging - the 150 kW charging option has no effect - it’s only purpose is for DCFast charger at public/commerical fastDC charging stations that you may or may not encounter in the wild…the general consensus is you are unlikely to encounter a public charger in north american that would fully utilize this option.

residential home charge does not use fastDC charging - it uses 240 volts AC power - just like your oven, air conditioning, electric water heater, stove, clothes dryer - etc…that is an entirely separate charger also present in the Taycan - and it is limited to either 11 kW or 19.2 kw charge rate.

11 kw residential EV charger will take 9-11 hours to charge an empty Taycan battery
19.2 kW residential EV charger will take 4-6 horus to charge an empty Taycan battery

there is simply no practical method to improve these durations of charging given the limits of residential home electrical design and typical power structures of North American residential neighborhoods. Your home is unlikley to have enough electrical capacity from the power grid to charge ANY EV faster than an 11 kW charge rate - which for a 93 kWh battery means 9-10 hours is best case if the battery is empty when you come home after a day of driving.

there are basically 3 choices for north american residential charging rates:
  • 9.6 kW - 50 amp circuit breaker
  • 11 kw - 60 amp circuit breaker
  • 19.2 kw - 100 amp circuit breaker
Typical 240 volt residential appliances that you may have your home today are:
  • Air conditioning - 30-60 amps
  • Electric Oven - 40-60 amps
  • Electric Water Heater - 30-50 amps
  • Electric Dryer - 30-40 amps
  • Electric Stove - 30-50 amps
  • hot tub - 50 amps
adding a residential EV charger is not different than adding any other 240 volt electrical appliance - and EV chargers range in North American range in capacity from 20-100 amps (circuit breaker size)

while the Taycan can charge at most any rate - there are 3 primary EV charging capacities to typically consider:
  • 9.6 kW requires that you hire an electrican to add a 240 volt 50 amp residential NEMA 14-50 plug to your garage - and you can use the Porsche Charger that comes with the vehicle
  • 11 kW charging requires that you hire an electrican to add a 240 volt 60 amp residential circuit to your garage and you then need to purchase a 60/48 amp EV charger from a vendor other than Porsche (ClipperCreek is an excellent choice)
  • 19.2 kW residential charging requires that you have a 240 volt 100 amp residential plug added to your garage and you need to purchase a 100/80 amp EV charger from a vendor other than Porsche - and you also need to “option” the 19.2 kW option for your Taycan to take advantage of this higher amp charger…
    • depending on your home’s electrical system and the feed from your power company this may require substaintial cost to add this dedicated circuit - only a licensed and bonded electrician can advise you on your options in this space after evaluating your home’s unique electrical capacities
    • most north american homes have 100/150/200 amp feeds for the ENTIRE home - adding a dedicated 100 amp circuit just for you EV charging may not be feasible depending on your home’s age and neighborhood power capacities.
A residential 150 kW charger would require teh following capacities at 240 volts (the typical residential feed in 99.9% of homes in North American). 150 kW - this would required 781 amps (or about the equivlent power feed of 8 separate north american homes) @ 240 volts to charge your taycan at 150 kW…this is most likely not feasible on a residential scale and would require co-operation from the local power company to bring in a dedicated substation just for you to charge your eV at this rate…not to mention commerical scale billing and FastDC charging equipment that may cost upwards of $10,000 or more for this level of fast charging.

150 kW option is for public/commerical DCFast chargers (not a residential option unless you ahve money to burn) - and requires high powered power feeds from the power utlity and high speed chargers costing 10’s of thousands of dollars.

the charger that comes with the Taycan is 9.6 kW and takes 11-13 hours to fully charge an empty battery.

recomend you start here and ask any questions after reading this:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...age…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/

you charge EV’s over night while your sleeping, and deplete the battery with daily driving - typically less than the 260 mile average range of a 85% battery charge - the EV then charges overnight taking 1-4 hours since most daily driving is less than 100 miles - the fact that it takes 1-4 hours doesn’t matter because it’s done while you are sleeping and the car is not being driven - you wake up in the morning and the vehicle is full for your next day’s usage…

EV charging is unfortunately complex and requires a bit of understanding beyond superficial options - this is not ideal and is one of the reasons EV’s are still a bit of an aquired taste. I can tell you all the information you need is already posted in the 100’s of threads on this forum, but it will require you to read and understand the historical postings and conversations about the Taycan and it’s charging capabilities.

I recommend purusing the forum section here - and reading as many of the threads as you can will topics that match your questions and interests…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/forums/charging-and-batteries.7/

good luck and happy researching!!

Last edited:

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is truly ridiculous if Porsche has designed a very expensive charging box to hold their charger and it overheats when the garage temperature exceeds 90°. That is an absolute recall and replacement situation in my opinion.
Porsche has a history of not doing recalls when they should. I have this same absurd situation. Personally I had a manual 2009 Cayman that had a very known and very dangerous defect that the shift cable made too sharp a bend and would fail. This in some persons event literally happened when changing gears and passing a truck on a mountain. He was almost killed. Happened to me twice and left stranded.
Porsche took 2+ years to design fix.

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So I have researched and found detailed information on this pigtail cord heating problem.

it is concerning. If you look closely at the cord, it has an Underwriters Laboratory stamp of approval and code number in several places.

Looking up this information at UL, the plug, one end of cord, and cord itself are made in various places (Romania and Taiwan). The components are then assembled somewhere.

The UL numbers when searched state the maximum load on cord is 30 Amps continuous. The plug that goes into charger is 40 Amps. That is why cord at 10 AWG is getting way too hot. Pulling 40 Amps through 30 Amp rated cord.

This is mandatory safety recall IMO.

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated 7C7062C5-CB95-45D5-9F54-BEF2C913861F

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated 6F7FA435-AAF4-4E59-8097-A8948AC52A4B

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated D7506D5C-BCED-4381-9EF3-162EF3E5FA9D

Porsche Taycan PMCC - Overheated 53DE32B6-2A37-4C4D-98BF-53C671250590

Last edited:

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
So I have researched and found detailed information on this pigtail cord heating problem.

it is concerning. If you look closely at the cord, it has an Underwriters Laboratory stamp of approval and code number in several places.

Looking up this information at UL, the plug, one end of cord, and cord itself are made in various places (Romania and Taiwan). The components are then assembled somewhere.

The UL numbers when searched state the maximum load on cord is 30 Amps continuous. The plug that goes into charger is 40 Amps. That is why cord at 10 AWG is getting way too hot. Pulling 40 Amps through 30 Amp rated cord.

Some light reading for you: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/nema-14-50-supply-cable-heat-data.1940/

TLDR: The 10 AWG cord is not optimal at 40A, but it is electrically safe.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

7C7062C5-CB95-45D5-9F54-BEF2C913861F.jpeg

6F7FA435-AAF4-4E59-8097-A8948AC52A4B.jpeg

D7506D5C-BCED-4381-9EF3-162EF3E5FA9D.jpeg

53DE32B6-2A37-4C4D-98BF-53C671250590.jpeg
this is outstanding information - and if true I agree if UL labs does not rate the cord for 40 amps continuous that would be a safety issue - posting that information here however does no good.

have you contact Porsche North America about your findings and provided the documentation from UL labs.

we’ve always known 10 gauge wire is a bit iffy for 40 amps continuous load - I’d like to see Porsche/Audi/VW update teh cord to 8 gauge wire for their EV fleet - it’s really really substandard.

Dweezel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
this is outstanding information - and if true I agree if UL labs does not rate the cord for 40 amps continuous that would be a safety issue - posting that information here however does no good.

have you contact Porsche North America about your findings and provided the documentation from UL labs.

we’ve always known 10 gauge wire is a bit iffy for 40 amps continuous load - I’d like to see Porsche/Audi/VW update teh cord to 8 gauge wire for their EV fleet - it’s really really substandard.
Yes there is open case with Porsche NA, and the dealer. And as to safety, the rubber on my cord partially melted. No one should use this at anything over 32 Amps (technically that is even too high), especially unvented Porsche enclosure with lid closed.
Sponsored