Power off button - how do you use it?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Funny.

I just picked up lunch and when I returned to the car, closed the door, put my foot on the brake, the car didn't woke up. Didn't react to trying to put it into drive.

I'm glad the power button exist or something that I wouldn't lose 2 seconds with would have left me stranded just 10 min ago.

Thank you Porsche for having the power button ❤
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
A good 5 mins. Any power wasted seems pretty pointless to me, for the sake of pressing 1 button 🤷‍♂️
Interesting question. How much power does a still-standing Taycan draw? I have assumed that the powertrain draws nothing, so that the load is climate control and some electronics (PCM...). If air circulation fans or coolant circulation pumps need to run for thermal reasons, my guess is that power-off does not affect them. But those of you in warmer climates may know.

A few hundred Watts for five minutes then, maybe? First guess 0.2 kW x 0.05 h = 0.01 kWh or 10 Wh. If full cooling from AC it is considerably more. Enough for some 50 meters or more of driving. Yes, can be worth pressing a button for.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Interesting question. How much power does a still-standing Taycan draw? I have assumed that the powertrain draws nothing, so that the load is climate control and some electronics (PCM...). If air circulation fans or coolant circulation pumps need to run for thermal reasons, my guess is that power-off does not affect them. But those of you in warmer climates may know.

A few hundred Watts for five minutes then, maybe? First guess 0.2 kW x 0.05 h = 0.01 kWh or 10 Wh. If full cooling from AC it is considerably more. Enough for some 50 meters or more of driving. Yes, can be worth pressing a button for.
So you expend (let's be very generous), 0.5 kcal to save 10W. Sounds like a bargain to me. I also like the assurance of pressing a button and knowing the extremely expensive car I've just removed my arse from is no longer running 😉

I guess I load/unload my car 3-4 times a week and sometimes it can be sat open and waiting for 10-15 mins if I've left something/got distracted. I guess it can add up.

I am 100% sure we've wasted more energy debating it here than pressing a button saves 😂

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
So you expend (let's be very generous), 0.5 kcal to save 10W. Sounds like a bargain to me. I also like the assurance of pressing a button and knowing the extremely expensive car I've just removed my arse from is no longer running 😉

I guess I load/unload my car 3-4 times a week and sometimes it can be sat open and waiting for 10-15 mins if I've left something/got distracted. I guess it can add up.

I am 100% sure we've wasted more energy debating it here than pressing a button saves 😂
Wasted? How is this discussion a waste?😉

May I nitpick? I do feel that using the word "running" is to overemphasize what is operational when the car stands still.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wasted? How is this discussion a waste?😉

May I nitpick? I do feel that using the word "running" is to overemphasize what is operational when the car stands still.

Running has a meaning of 'being in operation'. Which is the one I'd pick for this situation. Like operate, function etc. So you may nitpick, but I think its use here is correct according to my personal usage 😎 nitpick response over 😀

Reactions: or1

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
That’s certainly true :) but I am a bit of an advocate for new technologies to remove unnecessary clutter not keep it there just because people are used to having it.

in my Tesla I regularly used the car as a mobile office, powered up and fully air conditioned for hours at a time. On very hot days, it was a nicer climate than my house. Loss of a few percent was sorted in minutes at a supercharger. I even did a 6-hour board meeting from a parked car when our home connectivity failed. That’s what big batteries are for :)

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That’s certainly true :) but I am a bit of an advocate for new technologies to remove unnecessary clutter not keep it there just because people are used to having it.

in my Tesla I regularly used the car as a mobile office, powered up and fully air conditioned for hours at a time. On very hot days, it was a nicer climate than my house. Loss of a few percent was sorted in minutes at a supercharger. I even did a 6-hour board meeting from a parked car when our home connectivity failed. That’s what big batteries are for :)
Cool. I'm a fan of being in control of when things are on and off. I guess this is definitely a case of what one person likes, another may not 👍 For Porsche, a button costs very little cash but for some of us, it's 100% something we want to have on our cars. And I'm a big fan of change for the better for sure. My house has air-con and solar panels, so I'll happily use free leccy to keep myself cool 😎

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
I use the power off button – because that way the seat moves back and the steering wheel moves out of the way – to aid exit.
Yes, that seems to be its only value, if you have comfort exit enabled.
Tesla just does that when you press Park, and if you open the door, so there isnt really a need for a button even for comfort entry :) Especially as the silly button needs to be held down for 2 seconds to do nothing.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I use the off button because it then brings up the toggle to shut off interior monitoring, so my alarm doesn’t go off randomly. I’ve untoggled that in settings, but it doesn’t stick.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I only ever use the power button in the case where the car doesn't automatically turn on when I get in the car, which does happen sometimes. I never use it when exiting the car. Just shift into Park, get out, lock the doors by touching the handle dimple.