Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Never came to realize it's RAS that's causing my parallel parking issue with this car. I always thought it was that I am overly cautious about curbing the wheels and the shape of the rear quarter screwing with my perspective. Now I know why.
Yeah it’s actually very hard to get used to!
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
With RAS, the pivot point moves forward in the car.
This is true but, of course, the position of the pivot point depends on how much lock you have wound on, rather than being fixed at the rear axle.
I don't expect to ever get completely used to a moving pivot point, or know where it is except at full lock.
But I still think 4 wheel steering is great.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
This is true but, of course, the position of the pivot point depends on how much lock you have wound on, rather than being fixed at the rear axle.
I don't expect to ever get completely used to a moving pivot point, or know where it is except at full lock.
But I still think 4 wheel steering is great.
Every day I back into a parking spot at my kids school using only the 360 camera. The variable nature of the pivot point leaves me about 50/50 on backing into the center of a parking spot without having to make small adjustments afterwards. I still like RAS too but I think it’s great that we are pointing out that there is a learning curve on using the full envelope of its capabilities.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Is there a setting in the PCM to temporarily disable RAS? Also, is the 360 view accurate enough to back into spaces with only 2-3 inches of clearance?

I back into my garage at home within very few in inches of a bunch of metal shelves. I currently drive a Model S which is almost the same size, but no RAS or 360 but I've been driving Model S's for almost a decade now, so I have a good feel of the boundaries. Sometimes I back into that garage space while going around a car parking in the driveway, I was kind of thinking RAS + 360 would make it easier. Will it?

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
RWS is at the edge of the curve stuff. If you like to throw the thing around on country lanes or you’re gonna do track days, you’ll definitely feel the benefits. It will help with parking in tight spots, although you will head to the far end of the car park to avoid door dinks, so how often you’ll need it is questionable. RWS comes with Power Steering Plus and represents decent value imo.

PDCC is a must have for track days. But if it’s your road car it becomes a nice to have. The cost is significant and I don’t think it’s worth it for a daily driver. That said, I’ve got the variable light control roof, so what do I know about value!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Is there a setting in the PCM to temporarily disable RAS? Also, is the 360 view accurate enough to back into spaces with only 2-3 inches of clearance?

I back into my garage at home within very few in inches of a bunch of metal shelves. I currently drive a Model S which is almost the same size, but no RAS or 360 but I've been driving Model S's for almost a decade now, so I have a good feel of the boundaries. Sometimes I back into that garage space while going around a car parking in the driveway, I was kind of thinking RAS + 360 would make it easier. Will it?
2-3 inches of clearance with mirrors extended should be OK. I fold my mirrors to cross the threshold as there's otherwise only an inch to spare. Obviously side cameras aren't much use then, but I leave them folded even though there's more space once inside because I don't trust myself to remember to fold them on the way out again. So I only use the rear camera (I always reverse in) and find it accurate enough because I've marked the floor with 2 strips of hi-vis tape to delineate optimum wheel position, and I use that to line up the rear camera's projected trajectory lines.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

In a parking scenario, the RAS helps with turning radius and the 360 camera helps with being able to see what you are doing. RAS is a bit more challenging to predict exactly where the car will end up at the end of turn when backing up though….takes practice.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In a parking scenario, the RAS helps with turning radius and the 360 camera helps with being able to see what you are doing. RAS is a bit more challenging to predict exactly where the car will end up at the end of turn when backing up though….takes practice.
Are there predictive lines showing where the car is going to go at current steering wheel deflection on the backup camera display?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2-3 inches of clearance with mirrors extended should be OK.
I got 2-3 inches to the body of the car - mirrors "tuck-in" nicely over a shelf. No issue with mirrors hitting at the entry as I am always coming in on an angle, a large angle if there is a car in front of where I'm parking. It's a tricky maneuver which requires attention, but having driven the same model car (which didn't change sizes) for a decade helps. On a Taycan I was hoping RAS + 360 would make it even easier. Top level it looks something like this, with the red rectangle representing my car, and the grey ones other cars around it. All cars can come and go without moving other cars. My car is the only tricky one to park.
Porsche Taycan Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have? 1673643667943

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I got 2-3 inches to the body of the car - mirrors "tuck-in" nicely over a shelf. No issue with mirrors hitting at the entry as I am always coming in on an angle, a large angle if there is a car in front of where I'm parking. It's a tricky maneuver which requires attention, but having driven the same model car (which didn't change sizes) for a decade helps. On a Taycan I was hoping RAS + 360 would make it even easier. Top level it looks something like this, with the red rectangle representing my car, and the grey ones other cars around it. All cars can come and go without moving other cars. My car is the only tricky one to park.
My initial thought was I don't envy you having to do that, being unable to enter pretty much in line- but on further reflection, I suppose it's similar to parking parallel to the kerb in a space between other parked cars, which I've found easier with rear steer and the surround view is invaluable for avoiding kerbing the wheels.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are there predictive lines showing where the car is going to go at current steering wheel deflection on the backup camera display?
Yes. I’ve had these on many cars in the past but have ignored them. I find myself paying more attention to them with RAS.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. I’ve had these on many cars in the past but have ignored them. I find myself paying more attention to them with RAS.
Exactly, with RAS having a floating pivot center, I would think those lines would be invaluable while learning how the car behaves (assuming those lines compensate for RAS).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My initial thought was I don't envy you having to do that, being unable to enter pretty much in line- but on further reflection, I suppose it's similar to parking parallel to the kerb in a space between other parked cars, which I've found easier with rear steer and the surround view is invaluable for avoiding kerbing the wheels.
RAS will absolutely make the car more maneuverable to get in and out of my space, the only question is whether it's easy to control so I can take advantage of the extra maneuverability. My guess is it will take some practice and the 360 view should help not scratch up the car. When I practiced with the Tesla I used footage from my security cameras on my cell phone in the car as the Tesla does not have a birds eye view. There is a little lag using the security cameras, but still useful. 360 view should have no lag.

victor432

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes EQS
Can you guys tell me to what degrees the wheels are steering? In the Mercedes EV's are up to 10
Sponsored