Rear Axle Steering....not needed, nice to have, or must have?

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
Love it, many advantages, worth it....would do it again.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
It's great for close spots and I've no idea if it adds to stability at higher speeds as the car is so stable anyway, but clever people say it does, so I believe them ;)

One thing I will say is that it can make reverse parking very hard work as it's quite hard to predict how the rear wheels move. I'm precious enough parking the car, but this makes me do an extra 1-2 'ins and outs' to get it completely straight😳

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
One thing I will say is that it can make reverse parking very hard work as it's quite hard to predict how the rear wheels move. I'm precious enough parking the car, but this makes me do an extra 1-2 'ins and outs' to get it completely straight😳
I'm glad it's not just me then :)

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm glad it's not just me then :)
No definitely not! I quite pride myself in my reverse parking in normal cars and I reverse round a corner into my drive every day, but it just puts my normal parking ‘off’ by a good 6”-12” every time and I have to adjust. I’m making my drive bigger in the spring, and whilst the RAS isn’t the key reason, its a contributing factor, albeit I’ve not told my wife that! 😂

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It's great for close spots and I've no idea if it adds to stability at higher speeds as the car is so stable anyway, but clever people say it does, so I believe them ;)

It was a concern of mine too, I do find entering my drive from the near side of the road at full lock gets the car pointing straight in much better but reversing I'm still getting used to.
I just assume at low speed the rear steer angle is proportional and opposite to the steering wheel angle.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was a concern of mine too, I do find entering my drive from the near side of the road at full lock gets the car pointing straight in much better but reversing I'm still getting used to.
I just assume at low speed the rear steer angle is proportional and opposite to the steering wheel angle.
yep am getting used to it slowly, but decades of muscle memory takes a while to work it’s way through into steering inputs!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Have you tried driving through fresh snow and look at paths the front and the rear tires take (looking at the tracks in the snow)?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Have you tried driving through fresh snow and look at paths the front and the rear tires take (looking at the tracks in the snow)?
No.
Fresh snow is not common around here!

ABJ

First Name
Aage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E220
Country flag
What is everyone’s thoughts? It’s an option I’d like to have but just wondering how needed it really is? I’ve driven a Taycan without it and was still very impressed with the feel and handling. Just thought I’d see what all the owners thought?
I have it on my 4S. It makes the car easy to park, an more stable on highway. It's easyer to park than my previous in tight spots, an MB E-class.

RollingStoned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4;2017 Cayman S ; 2018 E400 Wagon; 1967 Alfa GTV
Country flag
I've really enjoyed the added maneuverability that the RAS provides and it sometimes feels like the car is rotating around the back seat area while making a slow speed tight turn. I'm so glad I got it. I see it as a safety feature too since it will reduce the number of 3 point turns I will have to make.
The benefits at high speed are less obvious to me. The car gives one the feeling of gliding along and lane changes are equally smooth.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I've really enjoyed the added maneuverability that the RAS provides and it sometimes feels like the car is rotating around the back seat area while making a slow speed tight turn. I'm so glad I got it. I see it as a safety feature too since it will reduce the number of 3 point turns I will have to make.
The benefits at high speed are less obvious to me. The car gives one the feeling of gliding along and lane changes are equally smooth.
It’s taken some time but I am starting to get used to RAS. The way you have described the feeling is spot on. With std steering you don’t really think about the fact that the pivot point is the rear wheels. With RAS, the pivot point moves forward in the car. A strange sensation at first but I am used to it now.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag

Never came to realize it's RAS that's causing my parallel parking issue with this car. I always thought it was that I am overly cautious about curbing the wheels and the shape of the rear quarter screwing with my perspective. Now I know why.
Sponsored