Rear Axle Steering

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all

I recently got a 2021 4S . I ordered it with rear axle steering thinking to have better turning radius due to my parking garage too small . But I am really disappointed with it because I checked it couple times when I steer right or left while parking the rear wheels basically do not move OR it moves too little that I cant notice .

Any one with this option have similar experience or some pictures showing how much the rear wheels tilt to left or right ? I know 2.8 degrees (stated in Porsche website) is very little but I should at least notice it .

I dont know how it affects the handling at higher speeds since I did not drive a Taycan without it, but I think it was a waste of money. I should have used the budget for other options.
Sponsored

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
As PanameraFrank suggests, you will definitely notice the difference by driving one without it. I can personally attest that the rear-axle steering (RAS) comes in handy. The same road I do a u-turn on with my RAS-equipped Taycan, requires a three-point turn in my BMW i8, which has a tight turn radius and is 11 inches shorter in length in contrast to the Taycan.

GlasgowTaycanCT

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S ordered, LR Discovery, i8, Macan
Country flag
The RAS reduces the turning circle by about 1 metre. Whilst there will be a difference in small tight manoeuvres , it won't be a huge difference. But drive one without and try the same manoeuvre and see what you think.

Also, 2.8 degrees is almost nothing, so not too noticeable to the eye.

Mylam

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DB11V12.
Country flag
Had it on a Q8 as part of the standard spec, not impressed, not a box I would bother ticking on any future purchase

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I have it and have said before, I don't buy the hype. Unless your are driving at track speeds on the street, you won't feel or see it.
Strange, RAS was the first thing I noticed driving my Taycan off the dealer. I took various sharp turns to test it, and it was delightful. In tight city driving and parking, it is excellent.

In this post I show in a short clip, how RAS makes my life easier, every single time I drive my Taycan!

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
It depends where and how you drive. Maneuvering is very different (= better) with RAS.
So is high speed (>120 mph).

In all other situation, the Power Steering option gives you a similar feel.

If you should order depends where you live/ drive–cities, winding roads and high speed: yes;
slow country side drives: not needed.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Rear axel steering is definitely noticeable when hatch parking on tight spots, or when taking a U-turn. In higher speed, I'm uncertain if its that perceptible, but the driving feeling when changing lane back and forth in fast motion is great though!

I don't regret my choice of ordering this option at all (even if my wallet hurts a litle). Of course one should consider this feeling of better handling, could all be due to my splendid my driving skills, similar as @oalsaker´s super power :cool:

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had to avoid debris at the last second on the
motorway/highway at high speed last year, and afterwards I did think, “wow that was nimble”. Have no idea whether that was the RAS since I’ve not had to do it in a car without RAS. Don’t want to try it again.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I had to avoid debris at the last second on the
motorway/highway at high speed last year, and afterwards I did think, “wow that was nimble”. Have no idea whether that was the RAS since I’ve not had to do it in a car without RAS. Don’t want to try it again.
Definitely RAS . . . driving skills possibly . . . or perhaps you are equipped with the same Porsche super power as some of us here on TaycanForum (from now on known as PSP)? :giggle:

OP
OP

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The RAS reduces the turning circle by about 1 metre. Whilst there will be a difference in small tight manoeuvres , it won't be a huge difference. But drive one without and try the same manoeuvre and see what you think.

Also, 2.8 degrees is almost nothing, so not too noticeable to the eye.
this is what I am saying, I specifically opted for this option because I have tight maneuvers in my garage . BUT 2.8 degrees is nothing and you cant even see the rear wheel moving at all; I doubt whether it is making a difference at low speed maneuvers. For high speed I believe it should make a difference but I am dissapointed at low speeds.

S class is 10 degrees, I think Porsche could have done better like 5-6 degrees.
I saw a video of a Panamera with rear axle steering before ordering you can see the rear wheel moving definitely . But in Taycan it doesnt move almost. I am putting the link below .

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
this is what I am saying, I specifically opted for this option because I have tight maneuvers in my garage . BUT 2.8 degrees is nothing and you cant even see the rear wheel moving at all; I doubt whether it is making a difference at low speed maneuvers. For high speed I believe it should make a difference but I am dissapointed at low speeds.

S class is 10 degrees, I think Porsche could have done better like 5-6 degrees.
I saw a video of a Panamera with rear axle steering before ordering you can see the rear wheel moving definitely . But in Taycan it doesnt move almost. I am putting the link below .
Must admit that I was sceptical to the point I asked the dealer to check I had the option and that it was working.

Movement is subtle - similar to 992 - latest Merc S class is at the other end of the spectrum clearly showing what you get for your money.

Would I purchase again....really not sure.
Sponsored