Roast my 4S CT build!

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
My build slot freezes in a little over a week so I'm eager to hear feedback from Taycan drivers. Like, if anything on here is a complete waste of money (moreso than buying a car like this in the first place :p), or if I'm omitting something I should absolutely put on there. I'm not 100% sure on getting summer tires and a set of 19" wheels with winter tires, though I think maximizing the tire performance during the hottest and coldest months would be worth it for such a ridiculous(ly awesome vehicle.

I'll be trading in my 718 GTS for this, and it'll also be the "practical" car replacement for our current daily driver, a BMW i3. It'll probably share the garage with a Fiesta ST.

I'm really eager to roadtrip in this with my partner and our dog. Our i3 has been great to us for five years now, but its limited range and slow DC charging speed have kept me from exploring the Pacific Northwest as much as I've wanted to with our lovely little family. We'll DEFINITELY be tracking it too, at least once - finding good charging near the track will probably make it annoying to do regularly though.

Music while driving is very important to me as well, so I really want to have the absolute best sound system, especially in an EV with optioned noise insulation. Driving around alone is the only place I feel confident enough singing along to music, dangit! I plan to make the most of it with lossless audio on USB drives at the highest possible quality.......but I'll also be fine with using the built-in Apple Music when I don't feel like putting forth the mostly-silly audiophile effort.

Anyways! Roast my build, and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look through this and type out their thoughts <3

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN8DSWW0
Sponsored

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo 4 (Y1BBD1)
Country flag

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
Looks like a very well thought-through build; all of the aesthetic choices appear to work well together.

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing to consider is charging. I have a HCS-80, 64 Amp, Level 2 EVSE at home. I have a 4 CT on its way to me now, but since I did not take the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger option, I will not be able to charge at the 19.2 kW the EVSE is capable of. This might not be important to you. You are unlikely to find many 19.2 kW EVSEs away from home, and you also might find the normal charging limit (11 kW) is fine for your use at home.

Just something to consider.

Last edited:

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag

HawkBlitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, BMW M2
Country flag
Awesome build! I would personally add the electric charge port cover just to cover the vent and prevent debris and small rocks flying through the vent and hitting the sides of the car. Looks like you are doing PEC LA delivery, and if planning to drive it back to Seattle might want to consider some ppf. In addition I would consider massage seats for added relaxation on the long drive back :)

Did you consider going for GTS ST? Seems like a lot of options you picked would come standard on it.

Y1BDB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, CT4S
Country flag
I would pass on the painted interior trim with the different blues and I would add the 150kW charger.

pshrosbree

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would pass on the painted interior trim with the different blues and I would add the 150kW charger.
If I may ask, why take the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger? Are there any 400V chargers in the US?

My understanding from here is that this is not a good choice.

OP
OP
pnw-ev-nerd

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing to consider is charging. I have a HCS-80, 64 Amp, Level 2 EVSE at home. I have a 4 CT on its way to me now, but since I did not take the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger option, I will not be able to charge at the 19.2 kW the EVSE is capable of. This might not be important to you. You are unlikely to find many 19.2 kW EVSEs away from home, and you also might find the normal charging limit (11 kW) is fine for your use at home.

Just something to consider.
I've thought about it, but I really can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to charge any faster than the 40A EVSE I already have. My partner and I both work from home so our cars usually go at least a day or two in between drives. But I do have a 60A circuit ready for 50A EVSE in the future.

I do WANT the 19.2 kw charging, but I don't even remotely need it

OP
OP
pnw-ev-nerd

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
pnw-ev-nerd

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome build! I would personally add the electric charge port cover just to cover the vent and prevent debris and small rocks flying through the vent and hitting the sides of the car. Looks like you are doing PEC LA delivery, and if planning to drive it back to Seattle might want to consider some ppf. In addition I would consider massage seats for added relaxation on the long drive back :)

Did you consider going for GTS ST? Seems like a lot of options you picked would come standard on it.
Power charge port cover - this one I'm not sure about but I have heard about that issue. For me it's the hit to aero, though I have no idea how to quantify that, if it doesn't make more than like a 5 mile range difference then I'd consider it

PPF - that's a good point. I wanted to get the whole thing done somewhere else, but PPF for the drive home does make sense, hmmm. I'll have to ponder that one.

I dig the GTS ST but it's at least another $10k, and I actually do like there being the slightest whiff of off-road capability. That, and I don't know how much longer I'd have to wait for a GTS allocation, and I'm impatient!
Sponsored