irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
For the garage where the Taycan is expected to live, I had wire rated for 60a run, along with a 50a breaker and 14-50 outlet. I've bought a 60a breaker, and at some point I'll swap it out, remove the 14-50 outlet, and hardwire in a Clipper Creek dual output EVSE. I don't really need to do that until we get our third EV...whatever that ends up being.

You might want to consider that route, to help future-proof your home if you don't go the subpanel route. The wiring is the labor-intensive part.

Porsche Taycan Scheduled Deliveries For March 2023 - Post Yours 1679505832729

Looks like I should go get a check from the bank before I leave for work tonight. No word yet when it will be ready for pickup.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
BTW, how screwed am I if I don’t have my EVSE installed? Guy can’t come til 4/24th 🤦‍♀️
Darn, I thought you had that installed early, when you originally thought the car would be arriving. Not having home charging sucks. Silver lining, you will appreciate it more after living without one for a month. There are possible workaround solutions, however I would be very hesitant giving you advice on that over the internet, as I don't know your wiring, its quality, age, or wear level. All those can turn into issues when drawing large currents for hours at a time.

It also kind of pissed me off that when we first called to make the appointment they immediately assumed we were getting a Tesla and asked if we had the Tesla charger thing ready etc. When we told them it's not a Tesla they were very confused, and then said they've never heard of a Taycan.
To be fair, Tesla sells 500x more cars than Taycans, so by simple statistics most of the EVSE installs are going to be Tesla, so the electrician may have only seen Teslas. Furthermore Tesla also has decent J1172 EVSE which works great for other EVs - cheaper and runs cooler than Porsche PMC+ or PMCC too.

This guy wouldn't even install my Juicebox 40 without a hardwire. Said... yep, I'll burn my house down. I have a good EVSE, NEMA 14-50, pretty straightforward wiring path with or without a new second panel (which we considered). But this guy said we'd have to sign a big waiver and warned us that it will soon be "against the law" not to hard wire, and he wants to do 60A.
Sad. I don't know the details of your laws but these laws are rarely retroactive, so the old installs would be grandfathered-in. You didn't by any chance get a copy of said waver, did you? If it was me, I would just tell a guy to put in a NEMA 14-50 "for a welder" in the garage, insist on AWG6 wiring, 50A breaker, and the industrial grade Hubel 9450A socket. You could convert that circuit to a 60A hardwire, but I would just install another 60A hard-wire, it's good to have a solid NEMA 14-50 backup in the garage (in case your hardwired EVSE malfunctions), plus it would keep you going for now.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1679505832729.png

Looks like I should go get a check from the bank before I leave for work tonight. No word yet when it will be ready for pickup.
Nice! Congrats on the upcoming car. I smiled when I read your "I should get a check from the bank". For me it was, "I should get a check from the bank, buy a plane ticket, arrange to take a week off work to go get it". Yours sounds so much simpler. Don't forget about car insurance! ;)

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice! Congrats on the upcoming car. I smiled when I read your "I should get a check from the bank". For me it was, "I should get a check from the bank, buy a plane ticket, arrange to take a week off work to go get it". Yours sounds so much simpler. Don't forget about car insurance! ;)
The bank manager asked how many cars I was buying. 🙄

This afternoon was my only chance to get a check before Saturday. I don’t expect the car will be ready then, but it’s better to be prepared in case it is.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S, '20 Stinger, '16 Pilot
Country flag
Darn, I thought you had that installed early, when you originally thought the car would be arriving. Not having home charging sucks. Silver lining, you will appreciate it more after living without one for a month. There are possible workaround solutions, however I would be very hesitant giving you advice on that over the internet, as I don't know your wiring, its quality, age, or wear level. All those can turn into issues when drawing large currents for hours at a time.

To be fair, Tesla sells 500x more cars than Taycans, so by simple statistics most of the EVSE installs are going to be Tesla, so the electrician may have only seen Teslas. Furthermore Tesla also has decent J1172 EVSE which works great for other EVs - cheaper and runs cooler than Porsche PMC+ or PMCC too.

Sad. I don't know the details of your laws but these laws are rarely retroactive, so the old installs would be grandfathered-in. You didn't by any chance get a copy of said waver, did you? If it was me, I would just tell a guy to put in a NEMA 14-50 "for a welder" in the garage, insist on AWG6 wiring, 50A breaker, and the industrial grade Hubel 9450A socket. You could convert that circuit to a 60A hardwire, but I would just install another 60A hard-wire, it's good to have a solid NEMA 14-50 backup in the garage (in case your hardwired EVSE malfunctions), plus it would keep you going for now.
Nah, I got the EVSE and socket and electrician estimate scheduled. Thing was, we had just had a major ice storm where we lost power for 5 days, and even the Porsche/Audi dealership was in the dark for over a week! Hundreds of thousands of people without power for days on end led to a huge influx of calls for all sorts of electrical jobs and generator installs so it became super hard to even get an appointment for an estimate. Sure, I could have gotten it done in January... some stuff I'm on the ball, some stuff I'm just not :(. I don't do a ton of driving (for now), so I don't expect to be in a major jam. We shall see... add it to the adventure!

Yeah I can see them assuming Tesla based on numbers. I just always feel like the "minority" when I make a choice and often choose what I perceive to be the much better, yet less popular one. I really know next to nothing about Teslas, honestly. I'm only now noticing how many are on the roads here. I can't believe they'd been around so long and I barely paid attention. I keep saying to my husband how weird it is to me that even a new Ford Escape, or funky Civic coupe will turn my head, but Teslas have just zoomed right past me like scenery.

This last electrician was supposed to give us an estimate of the non-hard wired install, and I assumed I'd see the waiver. But he didn't. Only for regular breaker or the new sub panel. I said to my husband, "So where is the estimate for the dangerous install that requires a waiver?" Good question. So that's why I was like, whatever. I've been both protected by grandfathered laws and policies, and completely screwed by them so I've stopped driving myself crazy. We each spent 2 hours of our afternoon using our various research channels to dig deeper into the actual risks and then I just made the call to go with what we have. We chose not to future-proof either because it really did end up costing twice as much and I don't really see us getting another EV all that soon. (Famous last words?)

Funny story: While I was scouring here, Rennlist, etc., he joined the EV channel of his company's Slack and got a bunch of helpful feedback. A few hours later, his manager messaged him, "So what EV are you getting?" He had no idea his boss was in there... so he told him. The response was, "Oh, cool!! I was just looking at them because I'm pretty much done with my Tesla. Gotta tell me all about it!" :D

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The bank manager asked how many cars I was buying. 🙄
Ugh, they always have to say something. I remember over 20 years ago I wrote a check for a new $27k Toyota and the salesman said, "Bet that's the biggest check you've ever written in your life!" Or maybe it was the biggest check I'll ever write? I don't remember, but it was so stupid.
In those days I remember checking out at the supermarket and the cashier saying, "Wow, where's the party??" Umm... those are my groceries. Sure, my diet could use an overhaul, but let's not remind me, ok?

As soon as my transfer posts I'll be at the bank today or tomorrow... my little local CU branch. Might be interesting!

chipra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
My sticker shows printed March 20 at around 10am… Batch 77/171. So I know the ship berthed March 18, TYD updated on the 20th to show the 19th for port arrival.

So does anyone who DOES have a delayed car also have the Monroney sticker?
And I see @irrelevant posted! Wowee!! This could actually be happening.
Interestingly, my Monroney (a word I didn't know until yesterday) sticker also posted on March 20th, at around 7pm even though it's still on a boat to Houston

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ugh, they always have to say something. I remember over 20 years ago I wrote a check for a new $27k Toyota and the salesman said, "Bet that's the biggest check you've ever written in your life!" Or maybe it was the biggest check I'll ever write? I don't remember, but it was so stupid.
In those days I remember checking out at the supermarket and the cashier saying, "Wow, where's the party??" Umm... those are my groceries. Sure, my diet could use an overhaul, but let's not remind me, ok?

As soon as my transfer posts I'll be at the bank today or tomorrow... my little local CU branch. Might be interesting!
Some of it is the Bank Secrecy Act, which requires financial institutions to act as unpaid spies for the government. As a general rule Im not a conspiracy theorist/anti-government person, but for a number of years I owned a money service business, and had to deal with FINCEN, the BSA, and compliance audits from the IRS, so I have a special, rarely accessed emotion that appears when an employee in a bank asks me what I’m doing with my money, while passing it off as small talk.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly, my Monroney (a word I didn't know until yesterday) sticker also posted on March 20th, at around 7pm even though it's still on a boat to Houston
And it says Port of Entry: Houston?

chipra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
One more nugget to my never-ending TYD confusion. TYD just updated to say my car is en route to the dealer, having left the Houston port today. My SA just confirmed the same although I'm guessing he has no additional info in which to say that. Yet I still see no boat that could have arrived in Houston in this timeframe; Siem Cicero is scheduled to arrive in Houston tomorrow night. My SA says he has no ability to say what boat my car came on.

Hopefully this means I'm getting very close to collecting my car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One more nugget to my never-ending TYD confusion. TYD just updated to say my car is en route to the dealer, having left the Houston port today. My SA just confirmed the same although I'm guessing he has no additional info in which to say that. Yet I still see no boat that could have arrived in Houston in this timeframe; Siem Cicero is scheduled to arrive in Houston tomorrow night. My SA says he has no ability to say what boat my car came on.

Is there a downloadable window sticker? They are supposed to create those at destination port.

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I'd say you're definitely close. But it's funny... I know with the way my brain works I'd be going crazy just to solve the puzzle, car or no car!

annieland

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is there a downloadable window sticker? They are supposed to create those at destination port.
Yup, see above. And it was printed the same day as mine in Baltimore. Yet Port says Houston!

chipra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
I'd say you're definitely close. But it's funny... I know with the way my brain works I'd be going crazy just to solve the puzzle, car or no car!
Exactly! I know either way I'm getting my car within a few days. But for some reason, I am driving myself crazy trying to solve what boat it's on and understand exactly what is going on.
Sponsored