First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
If so, what they wrote is poorly worded, emphasis added:

I have been getting s/w updates (maps and other small things) for the last three years, so no need to mention how to get OTA updates.

This company does not know how to communicate efficiently with its customers and this has been the consensus established in many prior threads. :CWL: Just sayin.

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
I received the OTA email and app notice today.

Later, in the car, on the PCM I received an OTA update notice about a calendar update. The notice then disappeared, and I can no longer find it anywhere, not under updates or notifications. I am a bit confused.

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
While I agree with a lot of the sentiment on what could/should be communicated for an OTA update …. There is another side to this.

When a vendor (Porsche, apple, Microsoft) is issuing software updates to an appliance (a PC, a watch, Phone, TV, car) … describing what that update does becomes a little tricky because what it is changing can often be very dependent on what hardware/software configuration your actual appliance has.

In other words …. an accurate but simple description is almost impossible given all the different permutations of hardware and software in the target appliance population (including year on year revisions)….

I think Porsche can do better ….. but what apple does as an example is give a simple reductive definition on an update that scratches the itch of the consumer….. but this by no means describes what the update is actually really delivering and often infuriates a large enterprise or a developer who then has to deal with the unintended consequences of the update …….

Damned if you do…. Damned if you don’t ……

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
I received the OTA email and app notice today.

Later, in the car, on the PCM I received an OTA update notice about a calendar update. The notice then disappeared, and I can no longer find it anywhere, not under updates or notifications. I am a bit confused.
Update: OTA update showed up again and installed successfully - some sort of calendar app update.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Update: OTA update showed up again and installed successfully - some sort of calendar app update.
I had something like this yesterday when I was driving.
Heard it ping twice and say something about a calendar update (which I never use).

Just dismissed it and carried on driving.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
When a vendor (Porsche, apple, Microsoft) is issuing software updates to an appliance (a PC, a watch, Phone, TV, car) … describing what that update does becomes a little tricky because what it is changing can often be very dependent on what hardware/software configuration your actual appliance has.

In other words …. an accurate but simple description is almost impossible given all the different permutations of hardware and software in the target appliance population (including year on year revisions)….
"Depending on configuration, update <id> delivers improvements in the handling of the management of the bits." See? Not hard. Release notes are as old as software.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does anyone know if 2020 Taycan's get OTA updates?
Yes of course but only if and when available - OTAs can be by MY and VIN rather than carte blanche - at a certain point you'll only get Map, Calendar updates assuming you have an active Porsche Connect contract. These are all classed as 'OTA Updates'.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just my opinion: I am not going to do any ota updates. I have enough headaches with iphone updates. My car is working fine, and I will keep it like that. if it is urgent enough, Porsche will issue a recall.
Counterpoint: (I'm a software developer) - you are inviting more trouble for yourself by avoiding updates.

Bug fixes are sometimes VERY important, and not getting them can severely hamper your experience. There may even be safety concerns because this is, after all, a car.

Don't be afraid.

blam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
I got the same notification for my Taycan. Haven't noticed anything, but when I was driving my Cayenne yesterday I got a notification of a calendar update.... *shrugs*

eduardomattos

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Counterpoint: (I'm a software developer) - you are inviting more trouble for yourself by avoiding updates.

Bug fixes are sometimes VERY important, and not getting them can severely hamper your experience. There may even be safety concerns because this is, after all, a car.

Don't be afraid.
Not only bugs, but you need feature parity with other EV vendors if they want to be an electric company by 2030. Taycan is the current platform for that and they need to do better in feature development

GreenHornet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo 4 Mamba Green
Country flag
I do not get this negativity to OTA updates. If they issue an update it is because something needs to be fixed. If you think you know your car better then Porsche does then you should start an EV company because you can get rich fast.

Just because your car is working fine now does not mean that in a few years time it will. WNW2 is to fix longevity issues on the high power battery. Why not update?

Bricking the car is not a valid argument.

Just do it! It will make your car better.

anoobis

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s, 2020 BMW M2 Comp, 2023 C8 Z06
Country flag
Are patch notes too much to ask for?
Sponsored