Setting up for charging in garage

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Congratulations on the car @svp6, don't forget to add a response to the owner registry https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/official-taycan-owners-registry.726/

I'll let someone with first hand experience answer your charger association question, but I will say that I don't think it will add a whole lot of functionality that is not available through Porsche connect directly with the cars connection. I think most of the charging programmability is done with the vehicle and this can be programmed when you are at other 3rd party chargers.

All the best enjoying your Taycan, October seems so far away....
Thank you @ron_b. The car I got has the performance package and a bunch of other things I did not need (puddle lights, black window trim), does not have something I wanted (Innodrive), and was a different color (although volcano grey was my second choice). But the drive was so intoxicating I could not resist.

Friendly advice: if you want to keep your original configuration as ordered, do not casually walk into a dealership that has a car. You will end up driving it home.....
Sponsored

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
TeslaTap vs. JDapter Stub

I just picked up my Turbo yesterday (so excited) but since I didn't know when it was going to arrive I have been delinquent in getting my garage ready to charge it. There are also limited charging options in my neighborhood that I have been able to find so far. Range anxiety is already kicking in big time until I get my home charging set up or I find a local charging option.

In the meantime, I plan on buying one of the Tesla compatible J1772 adapters to open up more charing options for me. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the TeslaTap and the JDapter Stub - either in performance or reliability? They seem to look the same so is it just a branding difference?

I also see that there are 40 amp and 50 amp versions (and 80 amp for JDapter). But if Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW charging, is there any reason to get anything other than the 40 amp version?

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
no difference, just two different small businesses making them - since the Taycan can only pull 40 amps - the 40 amp model will be fine (and lighter).

plugshare.com is in you future - setup an account and enjoy finding L2 chargers to use.

and remember the Tesla adatper is only for L2 AC Tesla chargers - it does not magically make the Taycan able to use superchargers.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
TeslaTap vs. JDapter Stub
In the meantime, I plan on buying one of the Tesla compatible J1772 adapters to open up more charing options for me. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the TeslaTap and the JDapter Stub - either in performance or reliability? They seem to look the same so is it just a branding difference?

I also see that there are 40 amp and 50 amp versions (and 80 amp for JDapter). But if Taycan is limited to 9.6 kW charging, is there any reason to get anything other than the 40 amp version?
Totally agree with @daveo4EV. The 40 amp version would be fine,.

I got the one available from Amazon, the Lectron 40A for $199, I tested it on my Bolt EV and got 7.6 kilowatts but that is all the Bolt can use. My Taycan does not come until October. I like this one because it has only a rubber / plastic body on the Tesla plug endless if it ever hit the car it would not cause damage. Some of the other adapters have a aluminum body which is great for a durability standpoint but not if it were to ever get to the paint.

And congratulations on getting your car!

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
Now I am trying to get the charger working. I did connect to wifi (not great reception, but still recognized). The manual says I am supposed to link the charger to my porsche ID. TO do so, it is supposed to:

Call up the web site specified on the display on the charger in the browser on your device and
enter the user code.
– or –
e Scan the QR code displayed on the charger

Looking at the mobile charger screen there is no web site nor is there a QR code displayes. What am I missing?
I used Google Lens (Android) to view the QR code it will display the website. Clicking it took me there.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
OK, so I caved in and got a 4S of the dealer's lot instead of waiting for my specific build. With a little difficulty, I paired the vehicle to my Porsche ID.

Now I am trying to get the charger working. I did connect to wifi (not great reception, but still recognized). The manual says I am supposed to link the charger to my porsche ID. TO do so, it is supposed to:

Call up the web site specified on the display on the charger in the browser on your device and
enter the user code.
– or –
e Scan the QR code displayed on the charger

Looking at the mobile charger screen there is no web site nor is there a QR code displayes. What am I missing?

Thank you, guys
Hi svp6,
did someone configure the charger before you bought the car and maybe linked it already to a myPorsche account? In the bring up procedure of the device it normally asks if to connect to myPorsche and displays a QR code then. You can do a Factory reset to redo a full setup or find the myPorsche configuration in the Settings submenus.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I'll let someone with first hand experience answer your charger association question, but I will say that I don't think it will add a whole lot of functionality that is not available through Porsche connect directly with the cars connection. I think most of the charging programmability is done with the vehicle and this can be programmed when you are at other 3rd party chargers.
Regarding functionality.

Do they sell the energy manager (PHEM) option in the states? If so, in combination with the charger it would allow to dynamically steer the charge following variable tariffs. So you would not have to configure the charge profile manually in the car.And it could protect against tripping the main fuse because of overcurrent.

Even without a energy manager device the charger should be able to identify your Taycan electronically, as it speaks ISO15118 to the car. So you could configure it to charge your car directly after pluging in. All other cars are blocked until someone enters a configured PIN code. So nobody could steal power from your installed charger.

And as the device is OTA capable I assume/hope there are more features to come. I guess to charge only with own PV generated power would be a nice feature.

The only drawback is the weight and size of the charger. But compared to the old version sold with the Panamera hybrid it is no difference. But can go up to 22kW now in Europe at least.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Hi svp6,
did someone configure the charger before you bought the car and maybe linked it already to a myPorsche account? In the bring up procedure of the device it normally asks if to connect to myPorsche and displays a QR code then. You can do a Factory reset to redo a full setup or find the myPorsche configuration in the Settings submenus.
Thank you for the suggestion @elberk. I got it to work - not sure what happened before, it is possible the Porsche server is intermittently down for service / upgrades on week-ends. I tried a second time on Sunday, worked easily on first attempt.

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got it to work - not sure what happened before, it is possible the Porsche server is intermittently down for service / upgrades on week-ends. I tried a second time on Sunday, worked easily on first attempt.
I find their uptime to be questionable. I wish they'd post a maintenance schedule, or display something to the user other than errors. An endless running 'wait' is not good.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I find their uptime to be questionable. I wish they'd post a maintenance schedule, or display something to the user other than errors. An endless running 'wait' is not good.
I agree the connection to the server is frustrating. As of this morning the Porsche server cannot connect to my car. On the Connect app, the Mobile Charger status says Paused. On my security camera in my garage (I am not near my car at the moment), I can see that the Charger status leds changed from blue (paused) last night to blinking green (charging) this morning.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Regarding functionality.

Do they sell the energy manager (PHEM) option in the states? If so, in combination with the charger it would allow to dynamically steer the charge following variable tariffs. So you would not have to configure the charge profile manually in the car.And it could protect against tripping the main fuse because of overcurrent.

Even without a energy manager device the charger should be able to identify your Taycan electronically, as it speaks ISO15118 to the car. So you could configure it to charge your car directly after pluging in. All other cars are blocked until someone enters a configured PIN code. So nobody could steal power from your installed charger.

And as the device is OTA capable I assume/hope there are more features to come. I guess to charge only with own PV generated power would be a nice feature.

The only drawback is the weight and size of the charger. But compared to the old version sold with the Panamera hybrid it is no difference. But can go up to 22kW now in Europe at least.
Yes Elber, I had read some about PHEM but didn't look into it as it's generally easy enough to program car to off peak charging times (it is on the Bolt EV). The solar aspect is also nice though. I don't currently have a need for wholistic power management. My one concern is that Porsche is not really a software infrastructure company so I am not thinking this would be in there sweet spot for technology. I trusted them wholeheartedly on building vehicles and that is why I have my Taycan order in. I would wait for other reviews before exploring other product offerings.

Happy 22kW is coming for Europe, I didn't expect the charger to change size for two reasons. First it is not a charger per se, it is merely a device that has a relay and circuitry to switch on and off the AC power to the vehicle. So as long as the relay is rated at the amperage needed for 22 kilowatts and can handle three phase it's good. Secondly, a month or two ago I had downloaded the manual for the Porsche Connect "Charger" and in Asia it showed that it could handle 22 kW.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
There seem to exist three variants of the Mobile Charger Connect according to my manual. The article number is followed by the letters BE ( 7.2 kW on two phases, 16 Amp) BG (11 kW on three phase, 16 Amp) and BJ ( 22 kW on three phases, 32 amp). My car was delivered with the 22 kW unit but the car can only take 11 kW. No idea why they supply them like that, perhaps future year models will have 22 kW. The charger works fine and is connected to myPorsche, where you can see the different charging sessions. It gives time and kWh etc. Unfortunately I can not find that information through the Connect app. Would be nice but perhaps future releases, but I do not have high hopes. Looking at Porsche forums there has been constant comment on the app from hybrid car owners for several year????

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This entire charger is pretty dumb IMO. Why all the hoops to jump through? Just take the power from my wall and put it in the car. Simple. Easy. But nooooooo, we need wifi, and a login, and pin code (which I immediately disabled) and etc, etc, etc.

Maybe if it all worked flawlessly I wouldn't complain. Sadly it doesn't.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
This entire charger is pretty dumb IMO. Why all the hoops to jump through? Just take the power from my wall and put it in the car. Simple. Easy. But nooooooo, we need wifi, and a login, and pin code (which I immediately disabled) and etc, etc, etc.

Maybe if it all worked flawlessly I wouldn't complain. Sadly it doesn't.
Agree with the frustration. One point though is that it does take the electricity and loads without configuration. Being too eager, I just plugged the thing in the 14-50, then into the car without reading the manual at all. Thing started charging and displaying 0.3 miles per hour. I panicked (needed a full charge next morning), remembered the discussion about wifi and settings, then read the user manual. Could not link the thing to my Porsche ID, plugged and unplugged and still 0.3 mi/hour.

Finally it crossed my mind to dig into all menus in car and charger - finally I found the display saying charging at 40A. I figured out 40A at 240 V will not be 0.3 mi/h despite the display. Sure enough, car charged from 60 to 100% in few hours.

Have to give Tesla credit for having a far superior user interface. That being said, I am still liking the Taycan better;)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Agree with the frustration. One point though is that it does take the electricity and loads without configuration. Being too eager, I just plugged the thing in the 14-50, then into the car without reading the manual at all. Thing started charging and displaying 0.3 miles per hour. I panicked (needed a full charge next morning), remembered the discussion about wifi and settings, then read the user manual. Could not link the thing to my Porsche ID, plugged and unplugged and still 0.3 mi/hour.

Finally it crossed my mind to dig into all menus in car and charger - finally I found the display saying charging at 40A. I figured out 40A at 240 V will not be 0.3 mi/h despite the display. Sure enough, car charged from 60 to 100% in few hours.

Have to give Tesla credit for having a far superior user interface. That being said, I am still liking the Taycan better;)
I think the display showed 0.3 mi/min! ;);)At least mine does with similar power!
Sponsored