Setting up for charging in garage

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
I did a slightly longer charge than normal (for me) - about 4 hours and the cable from the charger to the car was definitely warm, but the plugged-in cable from the NEMA 14-50 receptacle to the charger was much warmer even a little hot to the touch. I do have 50 amp circuit, but just want to know if others have similar experience with the plugged-in cable being much warmer to the touch than the charging cable to the car.
Another realistic cause could be a hot socket heating up the cable. Maybe in the NEMA socket the wiring is too thin or the contacts are not ideal and this let them get too hot. May have an electrician check.
Sponsored

HelfFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Another realistic cause could be a hot socket heating up the cable. Maybe in the NEMA socket the wiring is too thin or the contacts are not ideal and this let them get too hot. May have an electrician check.
Electrician checked and said from the electrical side everything looks good. Can anyone else who's using a 50 amp circuit and NEMA 14-50 receptacle feel their cables to let me know whether they are having the same experience - the cable plugged into the receptacle is running warm/hot, and compare it to the charging cable plugged into the car. Just trying to see if this is a normal phenomenon or maybe something to check with the charger itself.

thenaimis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It this worth it? I am seeing several for sale. Buyers regret?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133457092166
For those wondering but unwilling to click, it's the Porsche charging station.

If I had to guess I'd say these are people who bought the car and already had another charging solution set-up. Since it's not optional, they're selling the chargers they don't need. Not sure how many buyers there will be since every Taycan owner is going to have this charger, but maybe people will buy it for the novelty of having a Porsche brand charger.

But that's all speculation.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

If I had to guess I'd say these are people who bought the car and already had another charging solution set-up. Since it's not optional, they're selling the chargers they don't need. Not sure how many buyers there will be since every Taycan owner is going to have this charger, but maybe people will buy it for the novelty of having a Porsche brand charger.

It looks like it is only the housing (not the Porsche Charger)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It looks like it is only the housing (not the Porsche Charger)
Definitely only the dock (cover).

Title of sale is:
Porsche Taycan Charging Station Dock for Porsche Mobile Charger Connect

BlueShoes

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

This isn’t the charger they are selling. It’s an optional accessory to hold the charger on the wall.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
This isn’t the charger they are selling. It’s an optional accessory to hold the charger on the wall.
Yeah, found one in the UK. Genuine part. £200 less than Porsche. UK. I need one for the office install, so ordered it. I’ll post pics on arrival.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Electrician checked and said from the electrical side everything looks good. Can anyone else who's using a 50 amp circuit and NEMA 14-50 receptacle feel their cables to let me know whether they are having the same experience - the cable plugged into the receptacle is running warm/hot, and compare it to the charging cable plugged into the car. Just trying to see if this is a normal phenomenon or maybe something to check with the charger itself.
I will check it next time I charge. One easy thing to do is to decrease the Amps on your charger. Since I charge overnight, it does not matter too much if it is 6 or 8 or 10 hours. I have set mine at 32 Amp to reduce the chance of overheating in the circuit - even if it is rated to 50A (continuous load 40A).

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
I currently have the 14-30 plug/cable (have 14-50 on order) 40A breaker and yes, the cable wire from the charger to the car is warm to the touch and after 4 hours of charging the 14-30 plug is definitely hot to the touch, its cable warm/hot. Whether this is normal or not it gives me enough concern to avoid overnight unattended charging.

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
To the guys taking the effort to test the temperature ... Thanks.
Can you also make a rough measurement in °F/°C so that we others can compare? Hot or warm is a very subjective impression.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
If you can grip the cable comfortably then it’s fine, even if it is warm/hot. If you can grip the cable and it gets too hot for you to comfortably grip the cable you are pulling to much amps on the cable.

KenU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Country flag
One other thing I forgot to mention: make sure the cable is completely unwound from the charging unit, no cable should be wrapped around the charging unit, meaning that if your car is 10 feet from the charging unit let the entire 25 ft cable rest on the ground. My personal hang-up is not that particular cable being warm - it’s the 14-30 plug in the receptacle that gets hot, not warm.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
One other thing I forgot to mention: make sure the cable is completely unwound from the charging unit, no cable should be wrapped around the charging unit, meaning that if your car is 10 feet from the charging unit let the entire 25 ft cable rest on the ground. My personal hang-up is not that particular cable being warm - it’s the 14-30 plug in the receptacle that gets hot, not warm.
This ☝. Also make sure it is not coiled on the ground. If you must coil/wind the cord while on the ground during charging, use a figure 8 pattern. This will greatly reduce the resistance and lead to lower temperatures and safer charging.
Sponsored