kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Interesting conversation, i picked my CT4S up at the beginning of this December, it came with Goodyear Eagle’s on 21’ rims. Does anyone know what type of tyre this is? I had expected Pirelli P Zeros.
Do you mean if they’re any good? I’ve had Goodyear Eagle F1 asym’s on a previous car andthey were decent. Not as good as PZero’s (although they have their own particular quirks), and not a spot on Michelin P4S, but a good tyre and great wet weather performer
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Interesting conversation, i picked my CT4S up at the beginning of this December, it came with Goodyear Eagle’s on 21’ rims. Does anyone know what type of tyre this is? I had expected Pirelli P Zeros.
I have Eagle F1 on mine too. I didn’t know what to expect - the EV tyres are not the same as the non EV, generally the Eagle F1 came out very well for grip and noise. I have only driven a hundred miles or so on mine since I put the winter wheels on almost straight away.

This is for the tyre in general

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-5.htm

I think this is the best tyre review site I have found, proper objective testing of multiple tyres rather than the subjective opinion of a not necessarily very knowledgeable enthusiast - which is most YouTube’s on most subjects IMO.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I'm still not convinced it's worth it (clear head in the sand moment, i know), but out of interest has anyone ordered some new wheels from porsche in the UK? What's the lead time for them?

ta.

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
I trust you are well aware that the Eagle's are a high performance summer tire, right? I would be very cautious of using such tires when temps are below 6-8 degrees C.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm still not convinced it's worth it (clear head in the sand moment, i know), but out of interest has anyone ordered some new wheels from porsche in the UK? What's the lead time for them?

ta.
In my opinion, winter tyres are definitely worth it. Winter wheels work much better below 10°C plus they shift a lot of water too as a bonus. They deal with ice (and snow obvs), 20x better than summers. If you’ve ever seen a RWD beemer (or similar) on ice on winters, sail past 4x4’s on summers then you see how effective they are.
But then I guess it depends if you will drive the car in ice/cold weather or if you have other car options and you’d leave it home. Can’t see even the UK getting warmer winters any time soon.
Classic case of the tyre being the only thing that makes contact with the road and on a car at this price point, what’s another set of tyres? 🤷🏼

I ordered my set from the dealer before delivery. Took about 2 weeks to come iirc

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

ta.
It does depend on which wheels you want but mine were in stock at Porsche GB for next day delivery to the dealer.
They have 20” P Zero winters on.
IME the Brits are amazingly uninformed about tyres and I wouldn’t dream of using summer tyres in winter based on my own experience

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
at this price point, what’s another set of tyres? 🤷🏼
By this logic everyone should be buying a $25K security front doors for their home, since the cost is small compared to the cost of the house and it's the only thing that stands between your home and uninvited guests. ;)

PS> I am not saying winter tires are not worth it, and definitely would not drive on summer tires even in the mild US Northwest winters. So far however I managed with all seasons since I've lived here (on the east coast I used winter & summer tires). As winters are getting colder here, I'm thinking whether or not to get a set of winters for the Taycan, but not because it's "immaterial" compared to the price of the car.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By this logic everyone should be buying a $25K security front doors for their home, since the cost is small compared to the cost of the house and it's the only thing that stands between your home and uninvited guests. ;)

PS> I am not saying winter tires are not worth it, and definitely would not drive on summer tires even in the mild US Northwest winters. So far however I managed with all seasons since I've lived here (on the east coast I used winter & summer tires). As winters are getting colder here, I'm thinking whether or not to get a set of winters for the Taycan, but not because it's "immaterial" compared to the price of the car.
The choice was between summers and winters. If it had been all-seasons (I don’t think we can specify these in the UK), then that’s a different discussion.

I have indeed fitted a very high security specification front and back door to my house, by the way! 😉

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag

ta.
Mine took around 10 days ex stock from Porsche AG in Germany.

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
I run 5 cars. Three have all-season tyres and one only comes out between April and October (BST).
The Porsche, which I drive all year round, has two sets of wheels with winter/summer tyres. Sure, I could get away with all-season but it’s a Turbo ST so why would I? I want to drive it; that’s the point.
As for nursing a car through the winter on summer tyres when temperatures are typically below 7°c, that’s not something I’d do. Again, you’ll probably get away with it if you don’t drive on the very worst days but why risk it. It’s your life after all.
So, all season is fine if you’re not bothered about performance but never summer tyres all year.

Dan1210

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo.
Country flag
I trust you are well aware that the Eagle's are a high performance summer tire, right? I would be very cautious of using such tires when temps are below 6-8 degrees C.
Thank you, that's what i was wondering if they were season specific.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
My car came on Eagles, it’s coped with some very low temps this winter and I’m not sure they’re any worse than any other summer tyre. As someone else mentioned, in the U.K. the bigger issue is cold and wet, I watched a tyre test during a PEC visit some years ago, the stopping distance was 15yds on a Macan shod with winters, even the test drivers were surprised.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Didn't want to start a thread for this item, but it caught my eye when looking through a Tequipment catalogue (all Porsche models, but predates CT and ST Taycans)- the relative performance of Porsche-approved tyres (the same % differentials apparently apply to all models) seems relevant to this thread-
Porsche Taycan South of UK - Winter wheels thoughts Summers v Winters

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Didn't want to start a thread for this item, but it caught my eye when looking through a Tequipment catalogue (all Porsche models, but predates CT and ST Taycans)- the relative performance of Porsche-approved tyres (the same % differentials apparently apply to all models) seems relevant to this thread-
Summers v Winters.jpg
That's very interesting. So on a cold wet road with summer tyres a taycan's stopping distance is still significantly better than a 'regular' car in normal weather conditions -

Not including thinking distance at 60mph-
An average car takes 55 metres to stop in normal UK road conditions.
A taycan on summer tyres in winter takes 36.5 metres to stop.

I guess there is a risk if you fit winters, everyone in their average cars will be rear-ending you when it gets cold! I concede it doesn't necessarily help you if you're going sideways into a ditch at the time!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That's very interesting. So on a cold wet road with summer tyres a taycan's stopping distance is still significantly better than a 'regular' car in normal weather conditions -

Not including thinking distance at 60mph-
An average car takes 55 metres to stop in normal UK road conditions.
A taycan on summer tyres in winter takes 36.5 metres to stop.
Where does that 36,5 come from?
Sponsored