Taycan software update - reported problems post update

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Seems my technician is taking a very prudent approach to my scheduled update? My car MY 2020, is booked in for Monday 12th April at 09.00 until Wednesday 14th at 17.45! Three full days.

Booked in for update and wants both PMCC and both keys? Software update and possible OTA module replacement!
My connection was lost (again) two weeks before I had my appointment for the update, how convenient...
My OTA-module was replaced three times already but with this WMA5 there was no need to replace again.
It works again now, even better, much faster actually.
Indeed, the charger needs some firmware too which can't be done through WiFi apparently.
Both keys need reprogramming (which resulted in much better Comfort Access in my case).
Everything works ok, even better, you'll see.
Mine was in for a week.
Sponsored

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
It's pretty easy to brick hardware with a firmware update if you are updating your bootloader. Since you're likely using bootloader functions to do the update, if it gets hosed, you have no pure software way to replace the bootloader.

The manufacturer will be able to reflash the bootloader, but it requires hardware to directly write the chips.
This is true, - which makes it all the more important to TEST the upgrade before rolling it out.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Wait, are we sure that the keys need to be reprogrammed? I received my car back, and it's performing great, but I never gave them my key. I only gave them my spare key (which I haven't used since).

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I also brought in my 2020 4S for the WMA5/7 updates at the dealership this morning, offered both keys and was told that they only need the primary key. The dealership was fair enough to warn that the updates are likely to take two days rather than the less-than-one as claimed by Porsche. I received a decent loaner (nicely optioned Macan S) and checked late this afternoon with the service manager how the progress looked like. I again offered to bring the second key but he again declined (after checking the procedure).

By the way 1: they successfully finished section 4 of the upgrade which appears to be the PCM upgrade. No fried PCM therefore (I hope). They will start section 5 tomorrow morning.

By the way 2: the loaner Macan had a Bose audio system. It did not sound half as good as the Bose in my Taycan. It has been claimed by other forum members that Bose did an unusually good job in the Taycan and that seems to be true.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I also brought in my 2020 4S for the WMA5/7 updates at the dealership this morning, offered both keys and was told that they only need the primary key. The dealership was fair enough to warn that the updates are likely to take two days rather than the less-than-one as claimed by Porsche. I received a decent loaner (nicely optioned Macan S) and checked late this afternoon with the service manager how the progress looked like. I again offered to bring the second key but he again declined (after checking the procedure).

By the way 1: they successfully finished section 4 of the upgrade which appears to be the PCM upgrade. No fried PCM therefore (I hope). They will start section 5 tomorrow morning.

By the way 2: the loaner Macan had a Bose audio system. It did not sound half as good as the Bose in my Taycan. It has been claimed by other forum members that Bose did an unusually good job in the Taycan and that seems to be true.
Same here - offered the second key but was told they didn’t need it.

On Bose - personally I think it sounds fantastic in the Taycan. Then again, I have been told by others that I’m tone deaf. Mainly when I’m singing though.

moballa

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dropped off Monday at noon, they called Wednesday morning saying it was done . That included the rear spoiler fix and both front door rattle repair.
Sounds like you had a flawless update - Does your 4S have rear axle steering? Mine has been in for the update at PC Vancouver for the past 6 days...apparently it is failing during the update due to a communication issue with the rear axle steering module.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Wait, are we sure that the keys need to be reprogrammed? I received my car back, and it's performing great, but I never gave them my key. I only gave them my spare key (which I haven't used since).
that's a new wrinkle, never heard about anyone else having key issues caused by the update

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
MY21 Turbo S, update took less than 24 hours, no settings were erased, all works ok except I lost online radio and dynamic lighting. Both tell me not available. Will wait a day to see what happens.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just picked up my car (2020 4s) after the update. I asked about programming the second key. The service advisor said that programming the key does not show up in the system under the VIN. So it seems only certain cars might need the key reprogramming.

First impressions for the update itself. I am worried that the update introduces as many bugs as it fixes. I had two PCM major issues in the first 20 minutes. Before the update I had many minor glitches but no major one. I captured both issues on videos. The rest is what others described, PCM feels more responsive.

Problem 1: PCM froze and eventually rebooted on its own after accessing the SmartLift setting while the car was turned on.

Problem 2: While the car was off, I used the lower to use the charging screen. The main PCM screen woke up and got into a weird a loading/spinning mode and it would not come out without starting the car. I can imagine this would drain the 12v battery, if I did not start the car to get it out of this mode.

Last edited:

Schlossj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taking ALLLLLL of this into account...maybe it's better to wait on the update...I have an appt next Wed...but it still sounds super buggy...and for what? Wireless Apple Play and GPS lifting? My car (knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find) has been flawless...do I really want to chance it? Or wait a few months...let this work itself off...the conundrum!!!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Taking ALLLLLL of this into account...maybe it's better to wait on the update...I have an appt next Wed...but it still sounds super buggy...and for what? Wireless Apple Play and GPS lifting? My car (knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find) has been flawless...do I really want to chance it? Or wait a few months...let this work itself off...the conundrum!!!
My car is perfectly fine after the update.
On internet you only read about problems cuz people like to share that and/or need a solution.
Perfectly normal imho.
But I can understand your concern.
How many issues are reported, really? (5?).
On how many cars? (25.000+).
My car's got better and love it.
There's a ton of improvements on the many many modules but they're not that visible.
I'm sure you'll run to your dealer when your 12V battery is dead...
Sponsored

Last edited: