andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
also in my opinion the brake rotors/pads are not the issue with repeated brake applications for high speed high deceleration use cases with 5,100 lbs 4 door sports sedan...

there aren't any street legal tires that will hold up well to this type of repeated brake usage - the Tycan is so heavy and so fast - it's really really easy to overwhelm the tires and once they get a bit greasy your PCCB's really don't matter - your braking distance is going to increase when the all season tires are over heated…

if you are using the friction brakes enough to worry about thermal fade your tires are way way way more of a liability than your steel rotors - given this car's weight, size and power it's under-tired and there is no street legal tire that will come close to maximizing the thermal characteristics of even the base steel rotors…

my lizard brain is threatening a revolt right about now and working to overcome the rational brain writing this post - Porsche marketing, can not, must not be wrong - PCCB's are beneficial on an EV with .38g's of regen for 90% of braking usage on the street - they MUST be useful - they look soooooo pretty and cost sooooo much - they must be better.

you'll run out of optimal tire grip before you run out of thermal capacity with the Taycan even with the steel brakes.

that's my $0.02 - my lizard brain is screaming at me right now - I'll take a break.
I went with the PSCBs. I figured it was a good middle ground. Slightly larger brake surface with less dust without the expense of the PCCBs. A fellow Taycan owner told me he had a scary situation with his PCCBs when they were wet. Since they get used less, the pads weren’t drying during heavy rain, and when he needed them there was noticeable lag before friction kicked in. Have any of use experienced that?
Sponsored

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I'll still suggest Posche steel brakes are up the task for this type of "one time" massive slow down - Porsche tests even their steel brakes and their thermal fade to some pretty stringent standards. PCCB's will buy you lack of fade for "repeated" heavy braking applications (track duty) - if you're cruising along at 245 kph and need to suddenly slow down your brakes are already cool and ready for peak performance - I'll suggest no difference here for steel vs. PCCB's - and if there is more than 5 minutes between this and the next application again steels will be more than sufficient…

now 11 turns 4 heavy braking sessions in less than 1.25 miles long and in less than 1:45 seconds @ Laguna Seca raceway - yeah PCCB"s might be a benefit, but when i've done that with no regen even on Porsche 911 steel brakes it's been fine with fade only coming into play on the steel brakes after about 8 or 9 laps of heavy hot laps…that's 32 to 36 heavy braking applications in less than 25 minutes before I've even remotely "felt any fade" with Porsche steel brakes…

I'll still by my assertion that PCCB's are un-necessary on an EV with heavy regen braking support and are lightly used - and the advantage of PCCB's are NEVER used unless you track the vehicle. Even slowing down suddenly from high speed to slow speed on an autobahn is a "one time" thing for which Porsche steel brakes have more than enough thermal capacity to execute with flawless precision and confidence at ABS threshold braking limits.

it's the tires that slow your vehicle down not the brakes…
Defenately the brakes, are you kidding me?
It's the most crucial factor in transferring kinetic energy into heat.
CCs do that much better.
It's a balanced combination of tires and brakes.
Tires for transferring the kinetic energy to the brakes (grip).
Brakes for transferring kinetic energy into friction (heat).
CCs can transfer much more energy per cm2.
That's far before the point of fading.
And with 2500kg of EV you'll need every bit of stopping power.
I won't go along with you into that direction where you think that steel brakes are as good as CCs, that's just not true.
Besides, on CCs you can put much more pressure on the pads than you can with steel brakes, hence the bigger stopping power.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
all brakes from Porsche can reach threshold braking - how do I know - ABS - ABS systems all engage at the grip threshold where the tire would lock up…

once ABS has kicked in you've reached maximum stopping power and rate of deceleration

having tracked/raced for 10 years - I see no difference in stopping power between steel and PCCB"s because the major characteristic is tire grip level - not heat transfer rates…

PCCB's do last longer before fading in track applications - but having tracked GT3 with steel and PCCB's - my personal experience can only tell the difference during sessions of 30 minutes or more - for session times of less than 30 minutes the Porsche steel brakes do just as well with fade vs the PCCB's…

also there is no testing/data on stopping distances that show an improvement for steel vs. PCCB"s - again the major characteristic being tire grip level and therefore deceleration rate…

PCCB"s have superior thermal characteristics, but the Porsche steel brakes are soooo good - it's a very very difficult set of circumstances for you to "run out of brakes" for Porsche steel brakes - i.e. I've only found a difference when hot lapping/racing a Porsche GT3 for more than 30 minutes at a time…

I seriously doubt any street driving will ever approach that much braking capacity requirement such that you would overwhelm steel brakes - and I'll stand by my analysis that the Taycan doesn't have enough battery capacity at high speed to overwhelm the brakes.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Yes it's enabled. The dealership said that the sensor is located a little behind the back bumper so I need to stretch my leg a little farther to get it to work... I find it easier to bend over and push the rectangle button instead.
The sensor also is not exactly in/under the middle of the car. Try kicking under the bumper right under the O (think “Open”) of PORSCHE..

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Does the thermal kit help pano too?
Great question. I got the thermal and insulation package on my config and wondered the same thing. Does Porsche also apply the package to the pano roof?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Great question. I got the thermal and insulation package on my config and wondered the same thing. Does Porsche also apply the package to the pano roof?
I believe the answer is yes, but I’m not positive.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Try braking down 2500kg of EV on the German autobahn from 245 kph to 80 when a lorry thinks he can overtake another lorry.
I can tell you, there's no fading.
There is cursing and a lot of negative G's but no fading.
Wow... that's some serious braking right there!
At 245, things happen very quickly you know...
Of course you need brakes (and tire surface) that are up to the task, steel brakes with smaller tires are just a minimum...

I'll track it some day at the Nurburgring and if there's one track where you need good brakes....:)
I agree, for tracking and German Autobahn, good breaks are essential. For all rest of us low-riders, the red baby breaks are more than enough. :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'll still suggest Posche steel brakes are up the task for this type of "one time" massive slow down - Porsche tests even their steel brakes and their thermal fade to some pretty stringent standards.
True, but only after 1 lap on the short ring of the Hockenheim Experience Center with my race driver/instructor, the breaks were smoking. Unreal...

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
all brakes from Porsche can reach threshold braking - how do I know - ABS - ABS systems all engage at the grip threshold where the tire would lock up…

once ABS has kicked in you've reached maximum stopping power and rate of deceleration

having tracked/raced for 10 years - I see no difference in stopping power between steel and PCCB"s because the major characteristic is tire grip level - not heat transfer rates…

PCCB's do last longer before fading in track applications - but having tracked GT3 with steel and PCCB's - my personal experience can only tell the difference during sessions of 30 minutes or more - for session times of less than 30 minutes the Porsche steel brakes do just as well with fade vs the PCCB's…

also there is no testing/data on stopping distances that show an improvement for steel vs. PCCB"s - again the major characteristic being tire grip level and therefore deceleration rate…

PCCB"s have superior thermal characteristics, but the Porsche steel brakes are soooo good - it's a very very difficult set of circumstances for you to "run out of brakes" for Porsche steel brakes - i.e. I've only found a difference when hot lapping/racing a Porsche GT3 for more than 30 minutes at a time…

I seriously doubt any street driving will ever approach that much braking capacity requirement such that you would overwhelm steel brakes - and I'll stand by my analysis that the Taycan doesn't have enough battery capacity at high speed to overwhelm the brakes.
I know what you mean by threshold braking but you're missing the weight factor of a Taycan.
As you may know, the weight transfer to the front and therefore the grip of the (wider) front tires will increase at (heavy) braking and therefore the amount of energy you're able to "kill".
In that case CCs are superior.
I think that's all I want to add.
In normal driving the steel brakes are fair enough, totally agree.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yes it's enabled. The dealership said that the sensor is located a little behind the back bumper so I need to stretch my leg a little farther to get it to work... I find it easier to bend over and push the rectangle button instead.
You have to "kick" in the line of driving, that means straight to the front, exactly in the middle.
I have a 100% opening rate after doing that. :)
Same for the front, from the crest straight down.
Opening rate is a little lower though.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
ahhh yes - PCCB’s are now purely decorative/cosmetic given 90% regen braking loads - if I could get past the emotional conditioning Porsche has done over the past decade for carbon ceramic brakes (porsche marketing has been very very effective in my inner most lizard brain) - PCCB’s are really really really un-necessary on an EV with 90% regen braking load....

there is really zero reason other than cosmetics/image/perception to have anything other than the stock red-caliper iron brakes.

even with brake dust concerns - there is 90% less dust due to regen being the primary method of deceleration.
I hear ya. I went back and forth many times trying to decided whether I wanted to get the nice-looking, yellow or black PCCB and wheel combo but finally the "devil on my shoulder" lost that battle.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the thermal and noise insulation package, but the pano glass feels like standard!
I'm curious, how is that package working for you? I thought about getting that too but wasn't sure if I'd get a good bang for the buck. I was more interested in the thermal glass option, but I guess, by over-thinking things decided against it.
Sponsored