First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The root of this is an ongoing bug:

- Leave the car on a native audio source (XM, Podcasts, Apple Music)
- Return to the car and it plays your last source (yay!)
- Carplay attaches and suddenly you're not playing anything at all (super frustrating.)

Adding to the frustration, this usually happens while I am backing out and the cameras are covering the screen leaving me unable to rectify the situation.

After being pissed at this for the millionth time, I realized...I don't need Carplay.
  • I use native apps for the music sources.
  • I use native navigation (and so should you, for the charging station benefits, battery prewarming, dashboard integration etc.)
  • I don't use any other carplay apps (Waze, ABRP, PlugShare...I just use those on the phone)
  • The only thing I use it for is to read texts to me, and allow me to reply with Siri.
Well, guess what? The car can natively read texts too.
You can't reply, but I can do that via Siri on my phone or watch if it's something that can't wait.

For me, it's worth it to stop having this annoyance every single time I use the car.
Yep you've pretty much outlined you don't actually have a need for Carplay in the Taycan.

So you probably made the right call 👍🏼
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Yep you've pretty much outlined you don't actually have a need for Carplay in the Taycan.

So you probably made the right call 👍🏼
I've never had a car with it before, so I was excited to get it as an Apple fanatic. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
And just a reminder that when using native PCM:
  1. Short press of the voice button on the steering wheel brings up the car native voice prompt, but:
  2. Long press (2.5 secs) of the voice button on the steering wheel brings up Siri even when not using CarPlay, which allows you to respond to texts/iMessages.
wow thanks, never learnt this, could come in handy

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
It’s funny since CarPlay Is my go to. Yes I can get streaming services but having tracks dowloaded on your phone and played by carplay is great. I like it a lot. Maybe my expectations are not as high. Perhaps the experiences on each side of the Atlantic are different?

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I don't use CarPlay anymore either. I have all the native apps plus Apple Music, Podcast, Spotify and the interface seems to work better for me.

ab521

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, CT4
Country flag
How long does it take y'all to have your phone connect via Bluetooth / CarPlay /Android Auto after the car turns on? Mine seems to take 3-4 minutes before Bluetooth turns on for some reason (even if you go into the Bluetooth menu it is unchecked and you can't check it). Wondering if this is normal.
Usually takes a while for my phone to connect as well, especially if I want to use it in the for music or other apps. Sometimes it connects right away though, haven’t noticed any pattern to when this happens or what can be the cause.

SlyStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Tesla Model X Pld, '24 GLS450
Country flag
I used CarPlay when I first got the car. Ended up moving to native PCM for everything because of the audio switching issue and also because I prefer the navigation on the HUD and the center of the speedometer screen. I also use the Porsche app to send destination addresses to the car on occasion.

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
PMFJI
I have Waze on my phone after being recommended it by a friend who lives in a big busy city who told me it was invaluable.

I find it recommends bad cross country routes and stopped using it after it directed me down a road so narrow the undergrowth scored the paint both sides of the car. It seems to have no “knowledge” about single track roads.
I have exactly the same experience.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
How long does it take y'all to have your phone connect via Bluetooth / CarPlay /Android Auto after the car turns on? Mine seems to take 3-4 minutes before Bluetooth turns on for some reason (even if you go into the Bluetooth menu it is unchecked and you can't check it). Wondering if this is normal.
Mine usually takes 10-15 seconds to boot up, but occasionally a 1 or 2 mins (usually when I’m in a rush and want to set Waze).
it is definitely slower at hooking up than it was before the big software update.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
PMFJI
I have Waze on my phone after being recommended it by a friend who lives in a big busy city who told me it was invaluable.

I find it recommends bad cross country routes and stopped using it after it directed me down a road so narrow the undergrowth scored the paint both sides of the car. It seems to have no “knowledge” about single track roads.
Sadly not just limited to Waze… googlemaps and the Porsche map did the same in cornwall..

A taycan vs a tractor isn’t going to work and no way i can look to reverse back half a mile down a dirt road!

I’ve learnt to stick to big roads and the sat Nav will re route it.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Sadly not just limited to Waze… googlemaps and the Porsche map did the same in cornwall..

A taycan vs a tractor isn’t going to work and no way i can look to reverse back half a mile down a dirt road!

I’ve learnt to stick to big roads and the sat Nav will re route it.
I have a habit of testing any navigation route against routes I know well and have tried plenty of alternatives over the years.
You are quite right, “fast routes” often send you on a boring dual carriageway route over 10% longer than the known best route to save a couple of minutes and waste lots of fuel. Short routes take you down single track roads with grass growing in the middle.
None that I have found have a working “sensible route any normal person would take” option. :)

Our Plug-in Prius has an “ecological” route suggestion which has often suggested the route I have found to be the best, nicer driving roads taking a tiny bit longer but without silly detours to save 10 yds. It is the best I have found so far.

Sat Nav still isn’t as good as it is purported to be IME, my original now ancient and not supported Tom-Tom Go was still as good as any I have tried since.

I suppose the Taycan route planner will be useful to preheat the battery for charging stations but I am still using a map to initially plan routes and mainly check traffic and road works using the apps.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a habit of testing any navigation route against routes I know well and have tried plenty of alternatives over the years.
You are quite right, “fast routes” often send you on a boring dual carriageway route over 10% longer than the known best route to save a couple of minutes and waste lots of fuel. Short routes take you down single track roads with grass growing in the middle.
None that I have found have a working “sensible route any normal person would take” option. :)

Our Plug-in Prius has an “ecological” route suggestion which has often suggested the route I have found to be the best, nicer driving roads taking a tiny bit longer but without silly detours to save 10 yds. It is the best I have found so far.

Sat Nav still isn’t as good as it is purported to be IME, my original now ancient and not supported Tom-Tom Go was still as good as any I have tried since.

I suppose the Taycan route planner will be useful to preheat the battery for charging stations but I am still using a map to initially plan routes and mainly check traffic and road works using the apps.
I’m showing my age when i had to have a London A-Z and memorise a route rather than follow a sat nav blindly….I’m so guilty of doing that!!! 😳

I don’t use it when i know which way I’m going roughly and i do ignore when i know better and don’t want to go round the block to miss 4 cars in front of me and some lights (only to not get let back in the junction up ahead).

Only becomes a problem when I don’t know where i am and cant be bothered to stop and check it out…. My wife isn’t a good co-pilot!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
My wife isn’t a good co-pilot!
I’m lucky, my wife is an excellent map reader and will always come up with a better diversion than any official one and probably better than the sat nav which is still trying to direct me onto one of its rubbish suggestions.

Mind you sat nav is at least going to get you there if you put the address in, even if the route isn’t very good.

Back when we went back to the (new short) Nurburgring for the German GP in 1985 one of the team’s crew of mechanics looked on the map for Nurnberg and moaning about the fact their travel department had flown them to Cologne drove all the way there and didn’t realise their mistake until asking a Nurnberg local where the circuit was. About 300km away :CWL:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I’m showing my age when i had to have a London A-Z and memorise a route rather than follow a sat nav blindly….I’m so guilty of doing that!!! 😳

I don’t use it when i know which way I’m going roughly and i do ignore when i know better and don’t want to go round the block to miss 4 cars in front of me and some lights (only to not get let back in the junction up ahead).

Only becomes a problem when I don’t know where i am and cant be bothered to stop and check it out…. My wife isn’t a good co-pilot!
Haha. You don’t use one and I always use two at once!
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/why-i-dumped-carplay.13069/post-195161

It’s not the “route” itself that is a problem: that’s easy enough to look up before travel. Rather, it’s the variables. Around me, there can be long delays due to accidents, events, protests (like, for just one example, January 6, which can be debated by most from a distance but which affected me and my family very personally). The police also move around and hide or set up temp cameras. Radar and laser detectors just do not work for those situations. So, for my particular circumstances, I feel that I need instant, up to date information regarding subjects that can materially impact my travel. I can’t give up native navigation due to battery warming and I like how it displays info on display screen and heads up, but I also want the real time update via Waze, which has widespread usage in the Northeast. Ideal would be for native to take in data from Waze and integrate it into the native system.

Porsche Taycan Why I Dumped Carplay B534C60C-760E-4984-AAF2-3F00348BBAAB

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I just set up a thread about Android Auto as I thought I was missing out on some amazing stuff (once I got it with the uPdate).

Appears that is probably not the case and is the same story for many Apple users.

The car does most things well enough, without the need for AA or AC.

I may be different to many, as I don't automatically want to use my phone at all in a car.
And I also don't feel any need to get the latest phone / apps etc most of the time.

Tech for me is generally a neccesary evil and not something to get very excited about. 🫣
Sponsored