First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The root of this is an ongoing bug:

- Leave the car on a native audio source (XM, Podcasts, Apple Music)
- Return to the car and it plays your last source (yay!)
- Carplay attaches and suddenly you're not playing anything at all (super frustrating.)

Adding to the frustration, this usually happens while I am backing out and the cameras are covering the screen leaving me unable to rectify the situation.

After being pissed at this for the millionth time, I realized...I don't need Carplay.
  • I use native apps for the music sources.
  • I use native navigation (and so should you, for the charging station benefits, battery prewarming, dashboard integration etc.)
  • I don't use any other carplay apps (Waze, ABRP, PlugShare...I just use those on the phone)
  • The only thing I use it for is to read texts to me, and allow me to reply with Siri.
Well, guess what? The car can natively read texts too.
You can't reply, but I can do that via Siri on my phone or watch if it's something that can't wait.

For me, it's worth it to stop having this annoyance every single time I use the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
So you don’t use Waze?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve thought about doing the same thing. It’s the only thing that bugs me about my car. Having to reset the radio every time I drive off is getting old.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
As much of an Apple fan as I am, I think I might be with you on this - that, and I know it is super trivial, but those goofy big icons just irritate the heck out of me!

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have my steering wheel diamond button set to move on from car play to favourites. A single press of this moves me back to the radio when car play connects. Not perfect, but works. Obviously no good if you use that button for something else

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
So you don’t use Waze?
PMFJI
I have Waze on my phone after being recommended it by a friend who lives in a big busy city who told me it was invaluable.

I find it recommends bad cross country routes and stopped using it after it directed me down a road so narrow the undergrowth scored the paint both sides of the car. It seems to have no “knowledge” about single track roads.

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I mostly gave up on wireless Bluetooth connection and now just plug in each time which works perfectly. Doesn’t bother me at all since it charges as well (wireless charging is terrible). I use CarPlay daily for google maps (much better than native navigation imo) and my iPhone music playlist.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
PMFJI
I have Waze on my phone after being recommended it by a friend who lives in a big busy city who told me it was invaluable.

I find it recommends bad cross country routes and stopped using it after it directed me down a road so narrow the undergrowth scored the paint both sides of the car. It seems to have no “knowledge” about single track roads.
I’m sure this is true. Waze is best where there are many Waze users because it “crowd sources” information. In urban areas, I think it is indispensable, particularly for spotting police and speed cameras. It also spots traffic jams due to accidents or constructions far better than the native navigation. Waze is the only reason I use CarPlay.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Has anybody tried unistalling all the music apps in Car Play... iPhone/Settings/General/Car Play?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’ve thought about doing the same thing. It’s the only thing that bugs me about my car. Having to reset the radio every time I drive off is getting old.
The PCM has stabilized dramatically after the big update for me. I no longer have complaints other than this one.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Has anybody tried unistalling all the music apps in Car Play... iPhone/Settings/General/Car Play?
I do not think you can do that. Phone, Music, Maps, Messages are the Pple apps that will be there as an absolute minimum.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
You can't reply, but I can do that via Siri on my phone or watch if it's something that can't wait.
And just a reminder that when using native PCM:
  1. Short press of the voice button on the steering wheel brings up the car native voice prompt, but:
  2. Long press (2.5 secs) of the voice button on the steering wheel brings up Siri even when not using CarPlay, which allows you to respond to texts/iMessages.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I do not think you can do that. Phone, Music, Maps, Messages are the Pple apps that will be there as an absolute minimum.
Ah yes you are correct. I've just looked at my wife's iPhone. You can delete Spotify but not Music App. If you delete Spotify it would stop if switching over when using the native Spotify App.
Sponsored

Last edited: