rcsting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My 22 RWD is incoming on ship now, I could probably do OK, I'm in Nor Cal.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
And no $7.5k tax credit with a used EV. I broadened my search and have an order for an early June build date / August Delivery from an out of state dealer at MSRP + the $770 2yr maint package

I'm always a bit surprised at the way the market is, that people are willing to pay +$25k (actually +$32.5k w/ credit) for a used car just to have it now. I somewhat understand for more "normal" cars like a RAV4 (if someone's car died and need a new one now), but I'd assume most Taycan buyers have other cars to drive while they wait

OP
OP
twporscheguy

twporscheguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the market for a Taycan
Country flag
And no $7.5k tax credit with a used EV. I broadened my search and have an order for an early June build date / August Delivery from an out of state dealer at MSRP + the $770 2yr maint package

I'm always a bit surprised at the way the market is, that people are willing to pay +$25k (actually +$32.5k w/ credit) for a used car just to have it now. I somewhat understand for more "normal" cars like a RAV4 (if someone's car died and need a new one now), but I'd assume most Taycan buyers have other cars to drive while they wait
I thought the $7500 is over with already since the beginning of the yr.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Just because the dealer is listing it for so much doesn't mean it will sell at that price. When I bought my CT4 a few months ago there were some crazy listings like this one but they weren't selling. There are used and new Taycans available at more reasonable pricing. Not saying you are going to get a great deal but this one is kind of ridiculous.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just because the dealer is listing it for so much doesn't mean it will sell at that price. When I bought my CT4 a few months ago there were some crazy listings like this one but they weren't selling. There are used and new Taycans available at more reasonable pricing. Not saying you are going to get a great deal but this one is kind of ridiculous.
Agreed - though I do think with EVs (besides Tesla which isn't eligible), for now the $7.5k tax credit still being available makes a used one a more difficult proposition.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
2021 base model taycan with 12k miles. Sold with +$25k on Msrp. o_O

Screenshot_20220301-195718_Instagram_1.jpg
who in their right mind would pay a "Market Rate Adjustment" unless you keep and hold cars forever? Otherwise you will never make up any of it on resale. At some point the market will normalize, and these folks paying way too much, will be underwater in the Marianas Trench. That being said, as long as people pay, the dealers will keep doing it. As a side note, some lesser popular but stunning cars, such as Aston Martins, are still selling at sticker, may be a good time to pick up a stunning bespoke car that is unique and affordable (compared to a Porsche with a huge mark-up). Just my opinion.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I somewhat understand for more "normal" cars like a RAV4 (if someone's car died and need a new one now), but I'd assume most Taycan buyers have other cars to drive while they wait
…?
What makes a RAV4 more “normal” than a Taycan? Our Taycan is my wife’s DD. We’d have to replace it immediately if it died.

Reactions: B61

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nuts. When I ordered my 4S last July, my local dealer here in NorCal offered me a brand new leftover 2020 Turbo for $25k off sticker.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
…?
What makes a RAV4 more “normal” than a Taycan? Our Taycan is my wife’s DD. We’d have to replace it immediately if it died.
I guess normal may not have been the right word, but rather in the sense of being a family's only car that they have to rely on. The Taycan is a great DD (how mine is going to be used), but given the high price point of the Taycan and early adoption nature of EVs, I'd bet most owners or prospective buyers have at least another vehicle, and the car the Taycan would replace is relatively newer / doesn't have any major mechanical issues. Due to this I'd think they'd be more willing to wait out markups, given no actual urgent need to buy a Taycan. I'm in this boat - our other cars (GX460, Mazda 3) work perfectly fine, so there's no "need" to have something now to the point I'd pay over sticker for a used Taycan. Instead, I'm OK waiting for lead time on a new order, saving money and getting the exact spec I want

On the other hand, at least some buyers of a RAV4 are more likely to be looking to replace a relatively old vehicle that may have issues, or is the only car they own. As a result, they would have an actual need where they need a new car now, and can't wait. Hence if all that is available is a an almost new Rav4 with markup, they might have to bite the bullet and pay it

Last edited:

soul.electrified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 4S convertible, LX570, CT4 (pending)
Country flag
why buy from a Cali dealer? Get it new through any normal state dealer and deliver through PECLA, or if you want to buy pre-owned, make a fun road trip out of it.
Absolutely agreed. It took me a few hours in January to find three dealers across the country with available allocations for a 4CT at MSRP. All it took was sending a generic email (I stated that I would not pay any market adjustment). The dealership that I purchased from in the Midwest indicated that they had sold their last 3 allocations to customers in California…
Sponsored