at what point do we stop apologizing for Porsche

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
As some have pointed out, comparing Porsche's software with Tesla's isn't really fair.

I think a better and more fair comparison is Porsche vs some other traditional manufacturer moving towards electrification, say Mercedes or BMW. Is Porsche doing better or worse on the software side? I don't know and I'm curious to learn more.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
flawless. Yes it took 8 months but I’m very happy now.

Don’t forget that this is a brand new technology for Porsche and Tesla has similar issue for years. They are just way better with OTA. Porsche is getting there.
tesla certainly did have their issues, they had contact issues that affected most early cars and then most 2012-13 car's drive units had to be replaced but they made those repairs quickly.

in fact when my contacts were failing I was on my way to the airport, they sent a crew to the airport to flat bed the car from jacksonville fl to the closest service center in orlando, about 150 mile away, made the repairs and returned the car to the airport in three days.
porsche needs three days to complete an update that should be made OTA.
there is no comparison.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
As some have pointed out, comparing Porsche's software with Tesla's isn't really fair.

I think a better and more fair comparison is Porsche vs some other traditional manufacturer moving towards electrification, say Mercedes or BMW. Is Porsche doing better or worse on the software side? I don't know and I'm curious to learn more.
AFAIK MB is doing better, I cannot comment on BMW

Reactions: B61

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
AFAIK MB is doing better, I cannot comment on BMW
I grew out of BMW decades ago and I’m decades too young for MB, so I unfortunately cannot comment.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
TBH, found this to be a bit of a bizarre post and as others have responded, I too cannot truly relate to any of the bullet points with any degree of support from my experience to date - car has been superb in every aspect.

I have noticed and commented elsewhere that CA in particular does seem to have an EA issue above and beyond other areas of the country but flawless for me here in TX after 9-10 months. Every other aspect of the car honestly has performed really well and the one electrical error I had, I actually induced myself by not properly attaching a Tesla adapter!! - power on-off seq fixed it and never recurred.

Tough deal to have had your experience and perhaps some of it linked to an early adopter of 20/21 model year builds. For me waiting until 2022 seems to have paid off some.

Last edited:

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
I just can't grasp this obsession with software, which seems to be started from Tesla owners. My PCM is a little laggy, but radio, heating, gears etc. comes on straightway, so everything you need to drive functions great. How big problem is that when shifting from a setting to another setting takes few milliseconds more?

App works good enough i can start charge and pre heat/cooling etc. sure it takes again few milliseconds more than the best apps would take.

Updates are the only problem which is real in my mind. And only that the big uPdate needs to happen in dealer. That is self it is not a big problem (if you live nearby) but if it takes days, that is a problem.

Recalls happen to every car maker and it is part of living with a car.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Just have not experienced any of those bullet points.
Almost same here.

But i do agree that software is…a big shame.
including uPdate that might takes days (weeks).
being in software industry for 40 years, I’ll never understand how Porsche could afford something like that.

also, remember rear camera? :headbang: I had amazing view (360) in almost 6-8 times less expensive cars (2017).

bottom-line: we are biased for sure. but it’s our money, nobody forced us to buy Taycan, the best (looking) EV in the world. :angel:

and before i forget: do i regret my decision? No, of course not. I’d buy another one in a hartbeat!

Last edited:

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Porsche's PCM easy of use and general interface is way better than e.g. Audi's MMI - at least on the Q4 where there are a bunch of bugs.

Reactions: Dee

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
Great car, great looks, superb driving (even after a number of BMW 7) but to call the humming at 50-70 km/h a “product feature” as I wrote in my thread, is wrong and disappointing. No apology! It‘s there on every ride and it shouldn’t be.

xahhax

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
I dont know about the "software"...what you guys do in your car that you need better software.? does the Porsche do navigation and play music/podcasts? check.
maybe I miss something.
what is more important to me is how it corners on those roads...

Porsche Taycan at what point do we stop apologizing for Porsche IMG_2179.JPG

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
Xahhax makes a good point. As a drivers car it’s brilliant, and I’ve had no issues, but I too have a ‘22 and may have avoided some early growing pains.

As a computing device, I’ve had a few minor glitches similar to every iPhone, Mac, PC, plane, or other piece of technology I’ve ever used. In the worst case (a blank screen) a two finger reboot has solved the issue. Glitch free tech seems out of reach present day…

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I will be honest in that I believe Tesla is more worth your money if you only look at the price per pound. However, many of us on this forum didn't buy a Porsche because we are looking at the value proposition. We bought our car because of it way it made us feel and sitting in a Porsche feels a heck of a lot better than sitting in a Tesla.
+2. Appliance vs. driving machine.

jijitalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD-ASTON DB9-DB11-CooperS-BM530e
Country flag
NO EV are perfect & 100%reliable, nor the ICEs nowadays ...
Porsche are good cars , that people enjoy to buy and ride....

To me when you re buying an EV @ porsche you definitively are... you have to be forgiving .... or buy another brand instead, where you 'll spend less money, & then you 'll probably be more forgiving when problems occur I guess !?

I knew for sure that I'll be facing problems when I'll receive my ST ... but I 'm happy to experience it all (good and bad, hopefully lots of the first and very few of the second)

If you re facing too much problems swap it !
Sponsored