W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'd like to see the dynamic loads analysis on a central hitch mount for a carrier with a heavy load. The torsional loads must require far more strengthening than would be required with a two point mount. The offset tow hook is an existing second mounting point.
I had the Thule Cycle carrier for my Panamera ST (which this looks like and also OEM'd by Porsche) and it had a central single mount for the trailer hitch.

I carried 2 bikes on mine - no problems. The other neat thing was that you could tilt the carrier with a foot operated lock to open the rear hatch without removing the bikes.

My hope is that this is similar as I want to reuse my carrier.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
We need someone who stares at Ice grey a lot, maybe @TAYC4S can help?
Its either Ice Grey or Crayon - I was inclined to feel it was more likely to be Crayon but in some pics it looks Ice Grey. To be honest either colour is the best combination for the Taycan (in my opinion).

Also the metallic in Ice Grey is nice but not as prominent as other colours, as there is not enough contrast. Sometimes it looks flat and only when the sun comes out and hits at different angles to the eyes, do you get a little sense of sparkle - its a great colour but I would not determine choice between these two based on the "metallic" element. I love Ice Grey Metallic but I would equally have loved Crayon/Chalk. Its down to personal choice when you see both - for me it was the fact that Ice Grey Metallic was so unique to the Taycan.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So I've downloaded the press pack photos to get a good look at the cycle carrier and it does look indeed to be a completely new design with two bars protruding from either side of the rear diffuser.

It also looks to be a Thule product (some tell tale components and fixings) branded Porsche.

If you look carefully there are two pop-out panels either side of the licence plate which hide the connectors for the rack.

LHS

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color 1615029397643

RHS

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color 1615029497798

Pop outs

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color 1615029581774

Anybody need a now redundant trailer hitch Thule Cycle carrier???

typ993

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Porsche Carrera 4
Country flag
Can't say I'm a big fan of this rack (though I was initially excited to hear about it a few months ago). I currently have a 1UP and like the fact that it doesn't touch my bike frames at all.

OP
OP
Bry5on

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'70 electric Jaguar, ‘21 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
What do you use to lock your bike up? I've always seen the 1UP as risky. Maybe that's because I'm in the bay area where you'll get your windows shattered for leaving a pack of gum in the interior..

OP
OP
Bry5on

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, it's on the German configurator as an option, so let's hope this isn't euro-only and that the mounting points are there on US cars.. full text translated via google:

Lockable, collapsible rear bicycle rack for the Taycan Cross Turismo in black (matt) with “PORSCHE” logo and Taycan-specific design elements for two bicycles or e-bikes. The uncomplicated fixation of the rear bicycle rack with two fastening tubes on the vehicle ensures quick, tool-free assembly. The dampened folding mechanism enables the tailgate to be opened easily without great effort, even with a loaded rear bike rack. Due to its low weight and pack size, the rear bicycle rack offers the highest level of transport and carrying comfort.

- Dead weight: 20 kg (rear bicycle rack) + 5 kg (fastening tubes),
- Dimensions: 26 cm high x 75 cm deep x 89 cm wide (folded),
- Maximum load: 50 kg,
- Cushioned folding mechanism by 40 °

Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.02.13 PM
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.38 PM
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo launch color Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.47 PM

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well, it's on the German configurator as an option, so let's hope this isn't euro-only and that the mounting points are there on US cars.. full text translated via google:

Lockable, collapsible rear bicycle rack for the Taycan Cross Turismo in black (matt) with “PORSCHE” logo and Taycan-specific design elements for two bicycles or e-bikes. The uncomplicated fixation of the rear bicycle rack with two fastening tubes on the vehicle ensures quick, tool-free assembly. The dampened folding mechanism enables the tailgate to be opened easily without great effort, even with a loaded rear bike rack. Due to its low weight and pack size, the rear bicycle rack offers the highest level of transport and carrying comfort.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.02.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.47 PM.png
Cool. Not on UK configurator yet just the mount. Just annoyed I have to source another rack. Features the same as what I have except for the mount.

typ993

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Porsche Carrera 4
Country flag
What do you use to lock your bike up? I've always seen the 1UP as risky. Maybe that's because I'm in the bay area where you'll get your windows shattered for leaving a pack of gum in the interior..
I use a Kryptonite U-lock with a cable through the front wheel and the 1UP, which deters the walk-by bike thieves. Many of my bike teammates have a 1UP and I've never heard of any theft problems off the rack.

I don't leave my bike on the rack for extended periods and my solution wouldn't stop a determined thief with the right tools. Of course, they'd still have to get the U-lock off the rear wheel without damaging the frame.

Stretch9

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Audi R8 V10, '19 Mini JCW, '15 MB C300 hybrid
Country flag
The bike carrier is not on the UK configurator yet but the preparation kit is there under Exterior for £345.

The list price of the bike carrier itself in Germany is €1,785 (£1325) so it all adds up to one very expensive bike carrier.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The bike carrier is not on the UK configurator yet but the preparation kit is there under Exterior for £345.

The list price of the bike carrier itself in Germany is €1,785 (£1325) so it all adds up to one very expensive bike carrier.
Precisely, more than my current bike is worth. Most disappointed as I had hoped there would be a proper trailer hitch than this (expensive) monstrosity!

OP
OP
Bry5on

Bry5on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ll say it’s pretty easy/cheap to build your own using some extruded aluminum and roof bike mounts. I’m sure it would need the prep kit though. Guess we in the US will have to retrofit that somehow.

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.02.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 7.04.47 PM.png
Hi
I have 2 electric bikes that together weight 54 kgs.
You think it will be ok although max load is 50 kgs ?
Thanks.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi
I have 2 electric bikes that together weight 54 kgs.
You think it will be ok although max load is 50 kgs ?
Thanks.
Take the battery out and keep in the boot!

Carrier is designed for 3 bikes.... presumably of the carbon fibre kind!
Sponsored