kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I love my Taycan -- my first EV. Going electric lifted the guilt of "wasting gas" while cruising around and driving on a twisty road, and it made me realize how much I love driving a well built sporty car. Better yet, I get to enjoy it every day going to/from work, picking up the kids, groceries, and of course free charging on road trips.

So, needless to say, I love daily'ing my Taycan. Just wondering if I am the few who puts on lots of miles on an expensive car, whereas most people baby their Taycan like a 911?
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I have never understood why anyone would baby a Porsche and keep it locked away. I see some resales with 5k or less miles after 3 or 4 years of ownership and you have to wonder "whats the point?". If I'm ponying up this kind of coin for a car, I'm going to drive the hell out of it, and a Porsche just begs to be driven. Not to be locked away for weekends in only the warmest months.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Most cars aren’t a 918 or Carrera GT. For the limited editions, I suppose you could justify treating them like art if you really wanted to. Sounds kinda boring.

but usually it’s pointless. Even 911s depreciate.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Baby a 911? Porsches are built for driving, while some cars become garage queens many more are daily drivers.
I've always driven cars I owned, but you'd be surprised how many people confuse an expensive car with a museum investment piece. They think such car's purpose is the same as some expensive art piece - show it off to people and keep it pristine to preserve its value. They see mileage put on the car as depreciating their "investment" - you don't put a lot of miles on it pulling in and out of the garage onto the driveway to show the neighbors, but only when the weather is good.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I love my Taycan -- my first EV. Going electric lifted the guilt of "wasting gas" while cruising around and driving on a twisty road, and it made me realize how much I love driving a well built sporty car. Better yet, I get to enjoy it every day going to/from work, picking up the kids, groceries, and of course free charging on road trips.

So, needless to say, I love daily'ing my Taycan. Just wondering if I am the few who puts on lots of miles on an expensive car, whereas most people baby their Taycan like a 911?
Garage queens make me think that Ferdinand Porsche is shaking his head. I think about those early 356 drivers scooting around the windy roads of Germany and Europe and Ferdinand giving them a big thumbs up ?. I would like to think that a lot of those early 356's did some uncontrolled sliding with sometimes results that were not to pleasant and Ferdinand smiling when they came back in for repairs - smiling because he knew the owner was driving the car the way he intended. I think that if he were still alive he would be saying, 'Take it out and drive it!'

For me that is were the fun is.

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan 4S, '91 911 C4
Country flag
I think folks are conflating a "Porsche" versus the "Taycan" a specific model in the Porsche lineup. Some Porsche models/variants are more likely to be bought as weekend toys/garage queens/track use, and some will be more likely bought for daily/regular duties. I see the Taycan as a daily/regular use model, much like the Panamera/Cayenne/Macan. It just happens to look a hell of a lot better than the others. Plus it's an EV, so residual values and long term collectability is an unknown (probably bad) at this point.

OP
OP
kwanyu

kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I think from the poll results it's safe to say the Taycan is a great daily driver. :cool:

I don't feel so bad putting on 6k miles in 6 months then.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Do you daily… what?
Wash?
Admire?
enjoy?
Or you meant only drive?
I;d say….almost all of that :like: :clap:.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I think folks are conflating a "Porsche" versus the "Taycan" a specific model in the Porsche lineup. Some Porsche models/variants are more likely to be bought as weekend toys/garage queens/track use, and some will be more likely bought for daily/regular duties. I see the Taycan as a daily/regular use model, much like the Panamera/Cayenne/Macan. It just happens to look a hell of a lot better than the others. Plus it's an EV, so residual values and long term collectability is an unknown (probably bad) at this point.
I had a custom build 911C4 which was was my daily driver when I lived in California. I kept a Toyota 4Runner as a second for when I needed to do larger shopping, but the 911 was my commuter and weekend road-trip fun car. I must say however, when I moved from California to Washington, 911 was no longer a suitable daily driver because of 2 reasons:
  1. WA road surfaces suck! By far the worst roads in the entire USA. When I first moved, I pulled over on several occasions because I thought I blew a tire (which I actually experienced in the 911 at ~90mph on a CA highway, not as bad as you'd think except a pain in the ass to try to wedge the rear tire rim into the car somewhere after replacing it with a spare, oh and it was my fault to wear out the tires all the way out to a blow out in less than 6 months and 10K miles - I usually check tire wear every 6 months on my car, so it never occurred to me to check them earlier on the 911 - changes all 4 tires right after, since they were on on a verge of blowout). I also did a coast to coast road trip in my Tesla in 2016, and I kid you not, I could tell without looking at the map when I entered Washington state - worst road surface quality out of all the states I drove through!
  2. People in WA drive their cars like they would ride a cow - get on it, point it in the general direction, never worry who's you're blocking by doing 10 under speed limit in the fast lane. CA has some crazy drivers, but a lot of them have the moves to back it up. In WA people merge on the highway, cut everyone off while trying to get to the left most lane, then drive under the speed limit, except if someone tries to pass them or they are going down hill, and significantly under the speed limit if the highway happens to be going uphill (again like riding a cow).
My point is, some cars can be daily drivers in some places but not in others. I'm specing out my Taycan with 20" wheels precisely because I intend to drive it every day on crappy WA roads. I hope that works, since 19" will not fit with the larger brakes. I also hope the suspension setting work well in a Taycan, so I can smooth out the bumps for boring rides, and feel every little road bump when I feel like driving for fun.

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
If it ever arrives (yes, first world problems acknowledged, before the proctors leap upon me) then I will daily the bejesus out of it. Gone for a 17500 mile a year lease and I plan to use each and every one of them. Never understood the garage queen phenomenon. A dear friend of mine has a beautiful silver birch DB5 and he takes the kids to school in it and the car is all the better for all the use he gives it. Want a sculpture? Buy a Henry Moore.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I'm specing out my Taycan with 20" wheels precisely because I intend to drive it every day on crappy WA roads. I hope that works, since 19" will not fit with the larger brakes. I also hope the suspension setting work well in a Taycan, so I can smooth out the bumps for boring rides, and feel every little road bump when I feel like driving for fun.
Are you getting PDCC? I’ve read posts that say that it helps smooth out bumps also. I don’t have it and have no opinion. But your post made me think of it.
Sponsored