First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th…

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Got my email today, looking forward to the switchover.

For those not in the software business, it sounds to me it's one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_day_(computing)
As @Dee already mentioned there seems to be a model specific targeting of the emails to date or is this incorrect i.e. primarily focused on pre-2022 builds?

I have received all prior general update emails (e.g. WNA5 etc) pretty fast but have nothing on this one as yet - mine a Nov 2021 build of a model '22 CT.

Sorry too damn lazy to go back through all prior posts to see if other 2022 builds have or have not received this email yet :)!

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Lots of noise on this thread. The subject line of the email makes it clear. This is not an in car functionality update. It’s about making sure your car can talk to the new Porsche services.

Maybe this will become the platform for more functions on demand in the future, but for now it’s about making sure your car can connect to the servers. Nothing else.
Porsche Taycan First real OTA update for the Taycan 2020 and 2021 happening April 27th… 86D75B26-CD10-4B72-BAFB-4987677FE255

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really don't understand this rant.
So improvement isn't something you asked for?
Complaining and complaining, page after page.
And now that Porsche has actually listened to us the rant keeps going on and on and on...
Ok.
Some people are just prisoners in their house of frustration. 😂
I'm glad my car performs great and connect services work now 10/10.
I'm sure this update will improve things even more, like Porsche has done in the past.
Sorry you missed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Right words, right attitude, right tone.

Thanks.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Got my email.

Poor timing as we go on holiday early that morning.
So I will have to leave the car (plugged in) and deal with it in a couple of weeks.

Not great as they suggest logging in ideally within 24 hours.

But I'm not going to start pi55ing about with things before an early morning flight.
I can just imagine things going pear shaped and then the taxi arriving.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
So "bullshit" is a valid contribution today here?
It's a valid contribution for guys that have a very special reception of reality but having the time to discuss whether an ordinary backend update will be some miracle OTA PCM upgrade! :)

Ok, let me dodge this valuable reply by asking you another question: why would Porsche want you to connect the car preferably to a charging station before the system upgrade if it's just a "fiddle or move backend services"?
Whenever Porsche did some of the bigger WMA5/6 Updates that took many, many hours, the dealer is forced to use a very special 12V charger. You will find it in every update instruction seen in the Porsche TIs. You think they suddenly found a way to do the task while simply put power in the HV charger?

the upcoming week will be very funny to see your reaction, but I am still curious if they improve the access token refresh and reconnect issue in the backend, which would make me happy anyway if the unreliablity is somehow minimized.

here is the german email if you like to extract some unintended details:
(it starts with a joke in the very first sentence, they never tried to satisfy me)

Anstehende Porsche Connect Systemumstellung.

Sehr geehrter Herr RS38,

Ihre Zufriedenheit steht für uns immer an erster Stelle. Damit das auch so bleibt, führen wir unter anderem regelmäßige Systemanpassungen der Porsche Connect Dienste durch. In der Regel geschieht dies im Hintergrund. Wir arbeiten mit Hochdruck daran, Ihnen zeitnah neue Funktionen und Verbesserungen anbieten zu können. Dafür bereiten wir Ihr Fahrzeug vor, indem wir im ersten Schritt eine Systemanpassung vornehmen.

Diese Systemanpassung findet in der Nacht vom 26. auf den 27. April zwischen 23 und 6 Uhr statt. Im Anschluss daran sind wir auf Ihre Mithilfe angewiesen. Beim nächsten Start Ihres Porsche nach diesem Zeitraum ist eine erneute Kommunikation zwischen Ihrem Fahrzeug und unseren Systemen notwendig.

Hierfür sind Ihre Porsche Login-Daten und gegebenenfalls der Security-PIN (S-PIN) der im Fahrzeug hinterlegten Nutzer notwendig. Weiter unten geben wir Ihnen hierfür auch eine ausführliche Anleitung.

Wir möchten darauf hinweisen, dass nach dem oben genannten Zeitfenster der geplanten Systemumstellung bis zum erneuten Starten Ihres Fahrzeugs verschiedene Porsche Connect Dienste ohne Funktion sein können. In dieser Zeit kann es passieren, dass Sie keine Benachrichtigungen aus dem Fahrzeug in Ihre My Porsche App und in das My Porsche Portal erhalten und können darüber hinaus keine Befehle über die My Porsche App oder aus dem My Porsche Portal an Ihr Fahrzeug senden. Sie werden aber auch über eine entsprechende Fehlermeldung in der App und im Portal informiert. Des Weiteren besteht die Möglichkeit, dass einzelne Dienste im Fahrzeug zunächst nur eingeschränkt zur Verfügung stehen.

Bitte versuchen Sie auch aus diesem Grund den Zeitraum nach der Systemanpassung bis zum erneuten Starten Ihres Fahrzeugs kurz zu halten (möglichst innerhalb von 24h), um schnellstmöglich eine erneute Kommunikation zwischen Ihrem Fahrzeug und unseren Systemen herzustellen. Um ein reibungsloses Update zu ermöglichen, sollten sie vor der Systemumstellung und dem Abstellen Ihres Fahrzeuges mit Ihrem Hauptnutzer angemeldet sein und das Fahrzeug an einer Ladesäule anschließen. Sollte Ihnen dies nicht möglich sein, so entsteht Ihnen hierdurch kein Nachteil.

Bitte gehen Sie beim nächsten Start Ihres Fahrzeugs nach der Systemanpassung wie folgt vor:​
  1. Starten Sie zunächst die Zündung Ihres Fahrzeugs. Sollte Ihr Fahrzeug am derzeitig befindlichen Standort keine Onlineverbindung aufbauen können, bewegen Sie bitte Ihr Fahrzeug, bis eine Onlineverbindung möglich ist. Sie erkennen dies, an den Verbindungsbalken/Hinweis in Ihrem Infotainment-System. Erst dann kann eine Kommunikation zwischen unseren Systemen und Ihrem Fahrzeug aufgebaut werden.
  2. Melden Sie sich zunächst wie gewohnt in Ihrem Fahrzeug mit Ihrer Porsche ID an.
  3. Sollten nach Fahrzeugstart bestimmte Connect Dienste im Fahrzeug nicht zur Verfügung stehen, wechseln Sie bitte in den Gastnutzer und kehren anschließend wieder zu dem zuvor von Ihnen ausgewählten Nutzer zurück.
  4. Sollten Sie trotz der durchgeführten Schritte weiterhin Probleme mit Ihren Connect Diensten haben, schalten Sie bitte das Fahrzeug aus, stellen dieses Verkehrssicher ab und warten 2 Minuten bis zum erneuten Start des Fahrzeuges. Danach führen Sie bitte die genannten Schritte 1-3 erneut durch.

Für weitere Informationen finden Sie ein Video mit Detailanleitung und Schritt für Schritt Anweisungen unter folgendem Link:​

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Obviously there are different emails (like I already suspected).
This may be due to different model years and/or different countries.

Here's the part what makes the difference and why I stated it's a OTA-update and not just a server upgrade (key words in bold):

"Your satisfaction is always our top priority. To ensure that this remains the case, we regularly make system adjustments to the Porsche Connect services, among other things. Usually this happens in the background. We are working hard to bring you new features and improvements in a timely manner. We prepare your vehicle for this by carrying out a system adjustment in the first step.

This system adjustment will take place on the night of April 26 to 27 between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Then we need your help. The next time you start your Porsche after this date, communication between your vehicle and our systems must be re-established.

For this you need your login details and, if applicable, your Security PIN (S-PIN) of the user stored in the vehicle. Detailed instructions for this can be found below.
I think you are correct about the difference in model years. The event as a first step will be a server migration to make sure there is a more reliable connection. My email ( in french ) says the same as your translation above. In order to offer more features and updates the first need to prepare the car ( I read it that we as owners need to prepare the car by a new log in) and then there may be an important update following this migration. That second step would be the logical explanation of the requirement to have the car well charged! And a server migration like that requiring a new log in is probably happening with many other services on the internet like news subscription etc etc.

I look at this as a positive step so there will be a better connection between the car and the servers!

I am slightly nervous about it though because we will be on a 8000 km trip at that date. And Roaming as well, so not in the cars home country!

I think I have also found a good way to get the car to reconnect to the LTE network and Porsche servers, that has worked extremely well twice already, so maybe next week will be the real test.

I am nervous about it, but a step in a positive direction if we have a better service after the migration. And I think Porsche have made a lot of improvements on the new myPorsche app lately, even if there have been a lack of features and functionality initially!

So let is see how things are on Thursday latest.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
historically "flag day" updates like this go very poorly with confusion, lack of sufficient scale when everyone tries to login and many many retries causing additonal load - and lack of sufficient error feedback causing customers/clients to be confused.

but maybe Porsche will be the exception and they will do a wonderful job in this space and be the exception rather than the rule - in any case we'll know soon enough.

I still stand by my analysis that there does not appear to be any OTA vehicle software update that is part of this - not sure why people think that is the case.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
because it's bulls**t. They fiddle or move some backend services as stated in the email.
Dream on.
What about a bet if you are so sure?

Overpromise and underperform is Porsche's digital connect slogan.

from yesterday:
1650632606175.png
Totally off topic...but was the choice of music intentional....when you took this picture...in relation to the "Dream on" remark?! :D

For people who didnt experience the 80's, its the album cover for Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics.

• Haha
Reactions: Dee

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I think I have also found a good way to get the car to reconnect to the LTE network and Porsche servers, that has worked extremely well twice already, so maybe next week will be the real test
Do share 🤞

Reactions: MyA

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
Hmm. I still haven’t received the email. Mine is MY21 (April 21 build I believe). Hopefully mine hasn’t been rendered a “classic” Porsche already that’s not supported by software updates. 😂

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's a valid contribution for guys that have a very special reception of reality but having the time to discuss whether an ordinary backend update will be some miracle OTA PCM upgrade! :)

Whenever Porsche did some of the bigger WMA5/6 Updates that took many, many hours, the dealer is forced to use a very special 12V charger. You will find it in every update instruction seen in the Porsche TIs. You think they suddenly found a way to do the task while simply put power in the HV charger?

the upcoming week will be very funny to see your reaction, but I am still curious if they improve the access token refresh and reconnect issue in the backend, which would make me happy anyway if the unreliablity is somehow minimized.

here is the german email if you like to extract some unintended details:
(it starts with a joke in the very first sentence, they never tried to satisfy me)

Anstehende Porsche Connect Systemumstellung.

Sehr geehrter Herr RS38,

Ihre Zufriedenheit steht für uns immer an erster Stelle. Damit das auch so bleibt, führen wir unter anderem regelmäßige Systemanpassungen der Porsche Connect Dienste durch. In der Regel geschieht dies im Hintergrund. Wir arbeiten mit Hochdruck daran, Ihnen zeitnah neue Funktionen und Verbesserungen anbieten zu können. Dafür bereiten wir Ihr Fahrzeug vor, indem wir im ersten Schritt eine Systemanpassung vornehmen.

Diese Systemanpassung findet in der Nacht vom 26. auf den 27. April zwischen 23 und 6 Uhr statt. Im Anschluss daran sind wir auf Ihre Mithilfe angewiesen. Beim nächsten Start Ihres Porsche nach diesem Zeitraum ist eine erneute Kommunikation zwischen Ihrem Fahrzeug und unseren Systemen notwendig.

Hierfür sind Ihre Porsche Login-Daten und gegebenenfalls der Security-PIN (S-PIN) der im Fahrzeug hinterlegten Nutzer notwendig. Weiter unten geben wir Ihnen hierfür auch eine ausführliche Anleitung.

Wir möchten darauf hinweisen, dass nach dem oben genannten Zeitfenster der geplanten Systemumstellung bis zum erneuten Starten Ihres Fahrzeugs verschiedene Porsche Connect Dienste ohne Funktion sein können. In dieser Zeit kann es passieren, dass Sie keine Benachrichtigungen aus dem Fahrzeug in Ihre My Porsche App und in das My Porsche Portal erhalten und können darüber hinaus keine Befehle über die My Porsche App oder aus dem My Porsche Portal an Ihr Fahrzeug senden. Sie werden aber auch über eine entsprechende Fehlermeldung in der App und im Portal informiert. Des Weiteren besteht die Möglichkeit, dass einzelne Dienste im Fahrzeug zunächst nur eingeschränkt zur Verfügung stehen.

Bitte versuchen Sie auch aus diesem Grund den Zeitraum nach der Systemanpassung bis zum erneuten Starten Ihres Fahrzeugs kurz zu halten (möglichst innerhalb von 24h), um schnellstmöglich eine erneute Kommunikation zwischen Ihrem Fahrzeug und unseren Systemen herzustellen. Um ein reibungsloses Update zu ermöglichen, sollten sie vor der Systemumstellung und dem Abstellen Ihres Fahrzeuges mit Ihrem Hauptnutzer angemeldet sein und das Fahrzeug an einer Ladesäule anschließen. Sollte Ihnen dies nicht möglich sein, so entsteht Ihnen hierdurch kein Nachteil.

Bitte gehen Sie beim nächsten Start Ihres Fahrzeugs nach der Systemanpassung wie folgt vor:​
  1. Starten Sie zunächst die Zündung Ihres Fahrzeugs. Sollte Ihr Fahrzeug am derzeitig befindlichen Standort keine Onlineverbindung aufbauen können, bewegen Sie bitte Ihr Fahrzeug, bis eine Onlineverbindung möglich ist. Sie erkennen dies, an den Verbindungsbalken/Hinweis in Ihrem Infotainment-System. Erst dann kann eine Kommunikation zwischen unseren Systemen und Ihrem Fahrzeug aufgebaut werden.
  2. Melden Sie sich zunächst wie gewohnt in Ihrem Fahrzeug mit Ihrer Porsche ID an.
  3. Sollten nach Fahrzeugstart bestimmte Connect Dienste im Fahrzeug nicht zur Verfügung stehen, wechseln Sie bitte in den Gastnutzer und kehren anschließend wieder zu dem zuvor von Ihnen ausgewählten Nutzer zurück.
  4. Sollten Sie trotz der durchgeführten Schritte weiterhin Probleme mit Ihren Connect Diensten haben, schalten Sie bitte das Fahrzeug aus, stellen dieses Verkehrssicher ab und warten 2 Minuten bis zum erneuten Start des Fahrzeuges. Danach führen Sie bitte die genannten Schritte 1-3 erneut durch.

Für weitere Informationen finden Sie ein Video mit Detailanleitung und Schritt für Schritt Anweisungen unter folgendem Link:​
So your email is the same as mine.
Now, do you still think this is NOT an OTA-update of the car?
If you still do, we disagree which is ok too.
I apologize if I was not clear before (to others I was, apparently).
I said everything I needed to say so we are just going to see what will happen.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I received the email yesterday. 2021 4S.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
- not sure why people think that is the case.
Did you actually read my replies?
Do you understand that there are two types of email?
Did you read the "the car will be prepared" and the "connect to a charging station" part?
If so, then it's just you (and that's perfectly fine 😉).
We'll see.
It's just exciting!

PS I don't share your negative perspective though but each to their own I guess...🤷🏻‍♂️
Sponsored

Last edited: