Increased range on older models from big update?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
InnoDrive now available in Lithuania (small) and Vatican (really?) but still not in China!

Makes a lot of sense actually. There's reliance on GPS so probably some Chinese government security issue around it as well as having accurate maps of all the roads.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I didn't think that private/secular autos could access the vatican
Can that be due to choice of map material as well as use of GPS signals. And perhaps data about speed limits on different parts of the drive.

How are other EV’s handling this. The chinese cars probably have map material as well as signals and data from purely Chinese sources?? Wonder how they then work in other parts of the world then??

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Makes a lot of sense actually. There's reliance on GPS so probably some Chinese government security issue around it as well as having accurate maps of all the roads.
Neither is a problem in China. It looks like Porsche just don't need to compete with tech, since it sells in China for people to show off their wealth. Irritating, to say the least.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Can that be due to choice of map material as well as use of GPS signals. And perhaps data about speed limits on different parts of the drive.

How are other EV’s handling this. The chinese cars probably have map material as well as signals and data from purely Chinese sources?? Wonder how they then work in other parts of the world then??
The speed limits are wild and often not very clear, but when I use baidu (Chinese) navi on phone, they usually got it right. GPS is working in China, but not sure how reliable. Why not offer InnoDrive for highways only? That is where it's needed, isn't it?

They clearly made the car for the Chinese market, because the internet radio has only Chinese radio stations, complying with Chinese censorship. On my phone without VPN, I can listen to radio stations all over the world while driving. Technically not an issue!

Shows the mindset: Rather don't offer anything to the customer to avoid any conflict with the gov. Meanwhile the Chinese brands develop self driving cars...

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Yes, but not over 140km/h.
Ah, not tried to set it over 85 on this side of the water. Although, at that pace, drag will be killing range anyway so kind of pointless ;)

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Hit the go pedal hard and it goes up to 267km/h...

...which makes sense, since it's a Porsche and Porsche always goes fast, no? :)
I know that…but still, i’m not comfortable with a fact, that in case that i won‘t hit the pedal,on the right way, it will be blocked.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Ah, not tried to set it over 85 on this side of the water. Although, at that pace, drag will be killing range anyway so kind of pointless ;)
In case of overtaking, i don’t want to be in any doubt that there’s no limit, no matter how i press the pedal.
IMO, this limitation has no sense (=it’s stupid).

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
Not sure if this has been shared yet, but was an interesting watch:
I would disagree with the final conclusion: the driving conditions were IMHO better than the first test, simply because it was July and not like October! Air density is lower, battery likes summer temps etc.

Also wind and topology are not negative by definiton. If you end up at zero elevation it's usually helpfull to have some inclines and back etc.

You cannot compare single test runs that were months apart on some highways.

I am currently gathering logging data on certain defined roads and conditions with many repetitions and I need to get 4-5 runs to reduce the error in consumption readings below 3%.

After WNJ8 ist applied I will repeat it, wait for similar temps and am very keen to see some diffs, as having 4wd and expecting to see 50km (~9%) range increase as promised by press releases :D

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Air density is lower,
Finally someone is pointing out how critical air density is to the mileage you get on a 300 mile trip! Whenever I plan a 300 mile trip, the FIRST thing I do is evaluate the air density (I got a great air density meter during Amazon Prime day) and use that to calculate whether or not I can make the trip, and if I need to charge along the way, whether I should charge for 4.2 minutes or 4.3 minutes based on the air density.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
What you can expect:

* higher range improvement for 4WD over 2WD Taycans (as front motor decouples)
* practical tests here seem to consistently show 10% up to 20% improvement
* higher end is with lower speed (lots of city traffic)
* lower improvement at higher speeds

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Think logical.
1 kwh = 1kwh.
and 2500 kg (weight of Taycan) = 2500kg.
Now… how could (entertainment) software extend range, ie. change kgs or kwhs?
The actual mapping of the use of the available power can have an influence. If, for example, the rolling resistance and losses vary depending on the percentage of power going to each axle, which it almost certainly does, and this varies in dynamic conditions as it may well, re-mapping the power split may improve efficiency but, as you imply, the weight and power and more importantly, the aero drag and rolling resistance, won’t change to the potential gain is limited.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61