Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I have no hard evidence one way or the other but my main reasons for not choosing the insulated glass were anecdotal reports of reduced radar detector performance in other Porsches with this option as well as issues with cell phone signal.

Regardless, with the standard glass the noise level in the car is already very low. The insulated glass may be even better in this regard but, for me at least, it would be a matter of steeply diminishing return. As for thermal rejection, my car is a light color and doesn't have the pano roof so heat loading isn't really an issue.

Bottom line, I have no regrets over skipping the option and I saved $1130 to spend elsewhere.
Sponsored

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
Tesla Bjørn actually did some testing and meassured with/without glass- see link below.

His meassurements show very little real life difference in noise.

Scheme at 9.07 min.

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
I drove our old Macan (regular glass) to the trade in for our Taycan (acoustic glass) and made a conscious note to compare external noise levels on the motorway journey. A Macan compared to a Taycan isn't exactly 'like for like' of course... but it's not apples and oranges either and you can tell what noises from other cars and motorbikes are coming through the glass.

As has been pointed out a few times, the wind noice was noticeably lower but I was struck by how much the noice from other vehicles was reduced too. Ambient noise from the car's own tyres is still unaffected of course but the drop in noise from other road users does (in my very humble opinion) seem to make the environment more serene.

Reactions: B61

kadwar

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Macan GTS, Audi R8, 2022 Taycan 4S coming
Country flag
I've got that option and I'm glad I got it, but mostly from a thermal perspective because it really does help reduce the heat transmission into the car and therefore reduces the workload of the AC which I believe helps a lot with range and efficiency. But then I'm also in California, not Northern Europe.

I haven't experienced a Taycan without the Noise and Thermal glass option, so I can't write from experience as to its noise dampening qualities, but the cabin is very quiet indeed.
Do you have any issues with cellular reception?

Todd Rose

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is anyone disappointed they did not spec the insulated glass from a sound perspective?
I'm not concerned with the thermal benefits so much, but do want a quiet cabin!
I have it on my Turbo. I didn’t realize how much it helped with heat until today. I dropped my car off for the recall and they gave me a 4s without insulated glass, and it was noticeably hotter (and it was only 80 outside).

But from a noise perspective I didn’t notice much of a difference until getting to freeway speeds, and even then it was only modestly louder without it. Still, all in all, I’m happy that I have it.

Reactions: B61

Todd Rose

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have it on my Turbo. I didn’t realize how much it helped with heat until today. I dropped my car off for the recall and they gave me a 4s without insulated glass, and it was noticeably hotter (and it was only 80 outside).

But from a noise perspective I didn’t notice much of a difference until getting to freeway speeds, and even then it was only modestly louder without it. Still, all in all, I’m happy that I have it.
Forgot to add that I don’t have any issues with cell reception either.

Ajjra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any data on the weight difference? The insulated glass looked substantially thicker when I saw it in person (opening the car car and lookin at the glass from the side. Insulated glass windows in homes are generally considerably heavier than standard windows. Wondering if this carries over to autos…

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Any data on the weight difference? The insulated glass looked substantially thicker when I saw it in person (opening the car car and lookin at the glass from the side. Insulated glass windows in homes are generally considerably heavier than standard windows. Wondering if this carries over to autos…

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
I’m on the edge for this option too. But this is a good question here ? does insulated glass change car/battery performance ? It would be surprising. As an architect when we spec double insulated glass, we always have to more to the structure to support it. Plus drastic weight increase. wondering how that works for a car

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
i think i read somewhere that insulated glass is lighter. though might not be a significant difference. wonder if we can get official comparisons from porsche.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There’s mixed responses on here for that, so I’m not sure if you’ll get good answers.

I have the insulated glass and both me and my wife have reduced cell signal in the car. I have an iPhone 12 and she has an iPhone X. Her issues are worse though, sometimes having no signal at all. The problem goes away if we roll a window down and we don’t have issues in other vehicles.

We do see a signal boost if we place the phone in the center console charger, but I thought I read the cell signal booster there was not going to be continued in 2022. I didn’t research myself though.

It might be interesting to see if people with and without issues have the glass or metal roof. Maybe that makes a difference? We have the metal roof.
For what it's worth, I have the glass roof, insulated glass and 0 cell issues on my Samsung S21 or my wife's Iphone 12.
Sponsored