OP
OP

DJM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo
Country flag
Hi, I’ve not heard about a brown tint. Do you have any pictures. I thought there wasn’t much of a visual difference
Apparently the tint is only noticeable from the outside. Here are a couple of pictures to show it. Different angles highlight it more than others..
Porsche Taycan Insulated glass...? 2
Porsche Taycan Insulated glass...? 1

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Apparently the tint is only noticeable from the outside. Here are a couple of pictures to show it. Different angles highlight it more than others..
2.jpg
1.jpg
do both of these have the Noise insulated glass ?

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
On the question of heat insulated glass and mobile reception interference.

My Taycan has heat insulated glass. For some time now mobile reception in the car has been poor with many dropped calls. My daughter told me the other day to get rid of the car! Rather than take her advice immediately I have been doing some investigating and talking to the dealership.

The preliminary conclusion is that the poor reception is caused not by the heat insulated glass but the fact that when the phone is in the car it connects to the wifi in the car eg "Taycan 6300" (possibly because I experimented with this when I took delivery of the car). I also have the phone (iphone 12) set to allow wifi calling when the cellular network is poor/non-existent. Here is what the dealer thinks is happening: when the cell signal is poor the phone switches to a wifi call using the car wifi. The problem is that as supplied the SIM in the car is only set to allow limited data transfers (basically to allow Google maps to operate). It will not generally support a wifi call unless you separately buy a data package (which I haven't). So by resetting the phone to forget the in car wifi network it does not automatically connect to the car wifi and therefore, even if the "allow wifi calling" on the phone is set to "on" as the phone does not detect/connect to a wifi signal in the car it carries on trying to use the cellular network. Also note that if you use Apple Car Play the car will use the iphone (rather than the car) to download data so Apple Car Play will still work on this basis.

So all in all it appears not to be the glass. However I have noticed that the glass does slightly reduce the cellular signal strength on the phone (which typically goes up when you open a window).

Having made the above changes I was on the phone to the dealer this morning on the move from a very remote spot and it did not drop the call once.

The advantage of the glass apart from the insulating properties - and as others have said - is that it makes for a very quiet car on most surfaces.

I will post again if I learn any more over the next few weeks.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
In that case I am curious why according to the poll, most problems are being reported by owners with metal roof + insulated glass combo. If it was really not due to the glass (and perhaps metal roof in combination), I would expect others who don’t have insulated glass to report cellular receptions issues as well. Perhaps some others with insulated glass and metal roof can test after making the above config changes and report back. Would be great to have more data points.

My Taycan has heat insulated glass. For some time now mobile reception in the car has been poor with many dropped calls. My daughter told me the other day to get rid of the car! Rather than take her advice immediately I have been doing some investigating and talking to the dealership.
Do you have the glass roof or metal roof?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So by resetting the phone to forget the in car wifi network it does not automatically connect to the car wifi and therefore, even if the "allow wifi calling" on the phone is set to "on" as the phone does not detect/connect to a wifi signal in the car it carries on trying to use the cellular network. Also note that if you use Apple Car Play the car will use the iphone (rather than the car) to download data so Apple Car Play will still work on this basis.
Good troubleshooting! Here are a couple of threads describing how wireless Apple CarPlay works despite not allowing your iPhone to connect to the Taycan's published WiFi SSID.

kadwar

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Macan GTS, Audi R8, 2022 Taycan 4S coming
Country flag

The preliminary conclusion is that the poor reception is caused not by the heat insulated glass but the fact that when the phone is in the car it connects to the wifi in the car eg "Taycan 6300" (possibly because I experimented with this when I took delivery of the car). I also have the phone (iphone 12) set to allow wifi calling when the cellular network is poor/non-existent. Here is what the dealer thinks is happening: when the cell signal is poor the phone switches to a wifi call using the car wifi. The problem is that as supplied the SIM in the car is only set to allow limited data transfers (basically to allow Google maps to operate). It will not generally support a wifi call unless you separately buy a data package (which I haven't). So by resetting the phone to forget the in car wifi network it does not automatically connect to the car wifi and therefore, even if the "allow wifi calling" on the phone is set to "on" as the phone does not detect/connect to a wifi signal in the car it carries on trying to use the cellular network. Also note that if you use Apple Car Play the car will use the iphone (rather than the car) to download data so Apple Car Play will still work on this basis.

So all in all it appears not to be the glass. However I have noticed that the glass does slightly reduce the cellular signal strength on the phone (which typically goes up when you open a window).

Having made the above changes I was on the phone to the dealer this morning on the move from a very remote spot and it did not drop the call once.

The advantage of the glass apart from the insulating properties - and as others have said - is that it makes for a very quiet car on most surfaces.

I will post again if I learn any more over the next few weeks.
thanks for the info. do you have the glass roof?

Isaac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Macan GTS
Country flag
In that case I am curious why according to the poll, most problems are being reported by owners with metal roof + insulated glass combo. If it was really not due to the glass (and perhaps metal roof in combination), I would expect others who don’t have insulated glass to report cellular receptions issues as well. Perhaps some others with insulated glass and metal roof can test after making the above config changes and report back. Would be great to have more data points.

Do you have the glass roof or metal roof?
Hi its a glass sunroof

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Nope. The cabin is still very quiet with the normal glass, especially for an EV. I came from a Model S, and one of the first things my wife commented on when I got the car was how quiet it was at highway speeds. I'm sure the insulated glass is very nice, but not sure it's worth the cost when it seems there's a chance it could mess up your cell reception and the base glass is still pretty solid.
Agree. Not sure I am buying it. If it was so significant, wouldn't Porsche be highlighting it more?

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Last edited:

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
It will interesting to see how the new optional electrochromic "pano roof with variable light control" first showing up on the GTS models will affect peoples' cell phone receptions once more people start taking delivery of cars with this option. I really like its cool factor, but I would not get it if it creates a problem with cell reception.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is my 2nd Taycan, first did not have the insulated glass, second one does. The side windows are actually dual pane. As people have said, the car us super quiet without the special glass.
The biggest time I noticed the lower noise was in the rain. I would get this feature again. I'm in SoCal so sun heat can be a problem. Since this keeps the car cooler and warmer, should help
with battery range since AC and Heat use electricity.
Sponsored