tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
And my iPhone 12 mini does not charge at all..
I had the same problem with the mini. Its the size not the protocol. If you put the mini into the holder and then use your finger to pull/rase it up about 10 mm from the bottom of the holder, it will start charging.

Unfortunately that is not a solution, so I traded mine in today for a regular iPhone 12 Pro. I did love my mini!
Sponsored

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had the same problem with the mini. Its the size not the protocol. If you put the mini into the holder and then use your finger to pull/rase it up about 10 mm from the bottom of the holder, it will start charging.

Unfortunately that is not a solution, so I traded mine in today for a regular iPhone 12 Pro. I did love my mini!
The entire center console (almost everything about it) is a bad design. If Qi charging needs center-to-center alignment, designing a holder with an edge datum/alignment is just poor design.
In your case, you can also try to add a spacer at the bottom to touch the mini to prevent it from going all way down. A crappy solution for a crappy design.

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
Has anybody had there IPhone 12 overheat during wireless charging ?, it has happen to me twice so far, both times the phone has been charging for just over an hour, the phone just shuts down, has a temperature gauge displayed and is extremely hot.

Thoughts ?
Have my 22 GTS for about a month now, and after trial and error (case, no case, console full, console empty, carplay, no CarPlay) I‘ve found my iPhone 12 overheating (very quickly - 20 minutes), only when connected with CarPlay. Had no issue without CarPlay. Anyone else?

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
Have my 22 GTS for about a month now, and after trial and error (case, no case, console full, console empty, carplay, no CarPlay) I‘ve found my iPhone 12 overheating (very quickly - 20 minutes), only when connected with CarPlay. Had no issue without CarPlay. Anyone else?
Yup, same here. Takes about an hour or so and the phone (iPhone 12 Pro) over temps and shuts down. I bought this super short USB-C to Lightening Cable for the console, seems better - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07WVXGFCJ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_0WGF30EHY9F2VNBH99S8

pauloamore

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan C4SCT
Country flag
My iPhone 12 Pro overheated on a wireless charge using CarPlay on a 1 hr drive today. CT4S.

Rainforest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Yes, I find my iPhone 12 Pro Max gets super hot after charging for an hour or so. Worried it will ruin the battery.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
It has been my experience that the wireless charger heats up the phone faster than it charges. I've just resorted to a USB-C to Lightning cable.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I haven’t got my Taycan yet but if I have my iPhone Pro 12 Max on the charge pad in my current car it warms a bit but if I use navigation and traffic monitoring as well it gets very hot indeed.
It isn’t an enclosed space and has never shut down but gets worryingly hot if both charging and running an app which is continuously linked to the internet.

Charging whilst, I suppose, in standby and connected to the cell network it gets barely warm.

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
Same issue with my Taycan, Audi Etron SUV had it even worse since they didn’t have a fan in the charger like the Taycan has, the fan is.not really effective in the Taycan anyway…
Im not sure why Porsche hasn’t recalled this part and redesigned it with the proper fan/vents

offplan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S , bicycle , my own feet
Country flag
Same issue with my Taycan, Audi Etron SUV had it even worse since they didn’t have a fan in the charger like the Taycan has, the fan is.not really effective in the Taycan anyway…
Im not sure why Porsche hasn’t recalled this part and redesigned it with the proper fan/vents
There’s a fan for the charger? Need to look for it now. This is a known issue with Porsche sales rep claiming that “proper placement” is required for optimal performance. Kind off impossible with the armrest falling down when not held up

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2020 Macan, BMW i8, Audi ETron
Country flag
I see venting holes, I assume it also has a fan..

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
There’s a fan for the charger? Need to look for it now. This is a known issue with Porsche sales rep claiming that “proper placement” is required for optimal performance. Kind off impossible with the armrest falling down when not held up
Made me laugh! It is unbelievable that with all Porsche's technical and mechanical knowledge and the quality of their build, no one picked up on the fact that the armrest requires two hands to access at the same time the steering wheel could use them. There must be a lot of three armed German engineers out there.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I might give the charger a try to see if I have the same issue (iPhone 12 Pro), but so far my normal habit, in all of my cars, is to plug in my phone at the beginning of a trip and don't touch it until I'm stopped for a break or at my destination. I mean I can do everything through the car interface, including voice commands, so it just stays in the center console plugged in.

I've found that Carplay, again on all of my vehicles, is more reliable when plugged in than while using Bluetooth.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Made me laugh! It is unbelievable that with all Porsche's technical and mechanical knowledge and the quality of their build, no one picked up on the fact that the armrest requires two hands to access at the same time the steering wheel could use them. There must be a lot of three armed German engineers out there.
agreed, whomever had any part in the design of that armrest compartment cover should be dealt with severely.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
.....In your case, you can also try to add a spacer at the bottom to touch the mini to prevent it from going all way down. A crappy solution for a crappy design.
In order to align my iPhone 13 mini with the console charger I used a velvet pen sleeve stuff with a short length of foam caulk backer rod as a spacer at the bottom edge of the charger "slot". I never got any overheating warnings on the iPhone 13 mini, but quit using the Porsche wireless charger since I kept forgetting my phone in the car. I now use a Magsafe charger with a ProClip mount on the passenger side of the console.
Sponsored