Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I test drove the Lucid Air Grand Touring for an hour.

Overall it's a very nice car. IMO it doesn't compare to a Taycan though.

I was impressed by the steering feel, had a good amount of feedback, much better than E-Tron GT.
Handling and suspension were good, but it wasn't anything how journalists described it. It wasn't like driving on glass on the garbage LA roads. I made sure to use the normal streets which the sales team also wanted me to try. It didnt handle like a Porche the way MT described it. I was driving 75 on the curvy roads for a small stretch and I really felt the weight and some body roll. They asked me to keep it close to the speed limit at the point.
In Taycan it feels like it's on rails on that same stretch.

Interior quality is excellent, Napa leather is like the Taycan Club Sport, seats were comfortable, back seat is very roomy.
I will say the battery cutout for legroom in the rear for the J1 platform is very underrated. It's hard to sit with your knees up.
Cabin feel was airy, felt more like an S Class, Taycan is a sports car that hugs you.
Canopy windshield was better than I thought, not invasive.
The car feels much smaller than the actual size.

Build quality, fit finish, materials were excellent.

The car gets a lot of looks. Everyone stares at it. It has low slung roof which gives it a more aggressive look.
The front facia doesn't do it for for me at all. The look of the car doesn't do it for me In general. Stale is how I would describe it.

We were at 50% SOC did a launch 2x, it felt like a 5sec 0-60. It's pre production so that's fine. Taycan Turbo I wanted to vomit for 5 hours after. ❤
The car wants to drive above 70. It would be perfect for the Autobahn.
I had it on high Regen was very aggressive but I like that.

I feel the Lucid lacked the soul I'm yearning for. It was much better than Model S, but that doesn't have a soul either.
I would call it the very next level beyond Model S.
Is you're looking for a luxury EV Cruiser than Lucid is a fantastic car. If you want to feel the emotional connection than Taycan or even Audi E-Tron GT are the winners

Porsche Taycan Lucid test drive 20220314_122941
Porsche Taycan Lucid test drive 20220314_122918
Porsche Taycan Lucid test drive 20220314_122909
Porsche Taycan Lucid test drive 20220314_120740

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Call me shallow but the looks of lucid just don’t do it for me.
There are no sexy curves or lines on the car. It looks like it was engineered to optimize efficiency, then aesthetically designed.

Designing a car is a very sensual experience. This didn't feel it was designed In that way.

VA_CT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Macan, 2022 4CT
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I had similar opinion as yours after my test drive. I canceled my reservation.It took a month for Lucid to cancel my reservation with lot of follow up calls/emails.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I quite like the styling but have no need for a roomy back seat and want good handling.

In fact the Taycan is the only new car available that I would consider, if it wasn't for the Taycan I wouldn't buy a new car yet.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I don’t care for the exterior styling but I like everything else about this car a lot. If the exterior styling was better, I likely would have gone for one instead of Taycan.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How does the user interface compare with the Taycan?
I didn't spend too much time on it because I wanted to focus on the driving dynamics, but I have to say I preferred the Taycans.
PCM and AC controls are not pretty graphically, but a stranger can get in the car to figure out how to turn on the heated seats. I had to ask how to do this task.
Very relevant performance data is in your face on the Taycan, not with the Lucid. This could be due to the Lucid being pre production.
I like the 3 screen approach of Taycan instead Lucids 2 screens. It separates everything more intuitively.

I love that in both cars the infotainment isn't the focal point to distract from the lack of quality of the interior.

Personally I don't see how these cars would be cross shopped. Maybe I'm too picky about a cars nuances so I can say that.
The Lucids target is S Class, 7 Series, A8, Model S.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
@Mr.Smith you certainly get around. The car looks like a giant appliance to me and I love that you acknowledge the "role of soul" in judging the attributes of a new car purchase. I remember telling you I might have difficulty letting go of the feeling I had in my 911 with the top down. Guess what? Its been replaced with the feeling of a refined and highly evolved Porsche that is just as much fun to drive. And turns even more heads than my last car. One thing I'd like, however, is for people to stop taking pictures of me while I'm in it.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Mr.Smith you certainly get around. The car looks like a giant appliance to me and I love that you acknowledge the "role of soul" in judging the attributes of a new car purchase. I remember telling you I might have difficulty letting go of the feeling I had in my 911 with the top down. Guess what? Its been replaced with the feeling of a refined and highly evolved Porsche that is just as much fun to drive. And turns even more heads than my last car. One thing I'd like, however, is for people to stop taking pictures of me while I'm in it.
Thats wonderful to hear! Well Taycan turns heads, but yours spec is exceptional. You cant miss the Neptune

You also drive other EVs. What makes the Taycan different than the other EVs? I assume it comes down to driving dynamics because all the EV motors are the same, just more or less juice
Sponsored