Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My parcel shelf likes to dance and it’s driving me mad with its incessant rattling. Before I drag it the OPC and have them fiddle with it only to show me it wasn’t seated properly, is there anyone else had this issue and what should I be looking for?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Easy fix. In the boot (trunk) make sure the tabs that look like hooks are not pushed back. They should be out to support the shelf .
I had no rattling issues, but had a look and found that mine were also pushed back. Because I also:

Ha ha. I thought they were to hang carrier bags on. doh!

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Well I never....😄 I also thought they were just for bags. So they have a dual purpose...!

They will also logically still be bag hooks, given that they have a hook shape (as this would not be needed if they were simply only designed for the shelf). I use them all the time as hooks and they work well for this purpose. I now know to keep them open at all times, even when not using them to hold a bag. Thanks for the advice. 👍

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
One of them (on each side) has a hook, so it's dual-purpose; the other two are there to support the shelf.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
One of them (on each side) has a hook, so it's dual-purpose; the other two are there to support the shelf.
I seriously need to investigate the boot of my car...🤣 i didn't even know there is another set of mounts. To be fair, I haven't even taken the bubble wrap off the charger mounting accessories sitting under my boot...I am probably spending too much time having fun driving it...🤣

Rossmeldr

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s sport tourismo
Country flag
This is why I love a forum! I’d just narrowed the rattle down to the parcel shelf and this has sorted it. Had the parcel shelf out after an IKEA run to my daughter’s house and must have folded the hooks away without even thinking about it.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Same - haha, its been driving me insane. I've been putting the 'hooks' away thinking they were a problem.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
This was the answer for me. Aside from making sure that the shelf is all the way forward in the slots, it’s important to keep the hooks extended. They provide compression on the shelf when the trunk is closed.

OP
OP
Smithy37

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How many cars have you owned with a parcel shelf?
I’ve had a few and not one of them had arms that needed to be deployed to stop a rattle?

Good old Germanic engineering.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
How many cars have you owned with a parcel shelf?
I’ve had a few and not one of them had arms that needed to be deployed to stop a rattle?

Good old Germanic engineering.
This is a good point, and let me take a crack at it.

I’ve owned 5 wagons, 2 suvs and 3 hatchbacks (only one of all was not German). Only one, the Taycan, had an articulated rear shelf - because the low ratio of the trunk height to length.

The alternative to the pegs would have been a sliding/rollup cover (eww), or to build a supporting lip into the sides of the trunk (which would have protruded into the space, made for a complex molding and still allow for the possibility of rattling). I’d say this is an example of simple engineering 😉.

Btw, another potential source of squeaks are the joints between the two shelves: in addition to ensuring the outer element is fully pressed into the hinge, it helps to lubricate that hinge with a bit of ptfe grease.
Sponsored