Rear Axle Steering

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
this is what I am saying, I specifically opted for this option because I have tight maneuvers in my garage . BUT 2.8 degrees is nothing and you cant even see the rear wheel moving at all; I doubt whether it is making a difference at low speed maneuvers. For high speed I believe it should make a difference but I am dissapointed at low speeds.

S class is 10 degrees, I think Porsche could have done better like 5-6 degrees.
I saw a video of a Panamera with rear axle steering before ordering you can see the rear wheel moving definitely . But in Taycan it doesnt move almost. I am putting the link below .
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the rear wheels on the Taycan only move once the car starts rolling to avoid dry steering.

When I look in my side mirrors when parking I sometimes see the rear wheels moving. Not a massive amount but they do.
Btw the turning radius on an s class is still bigger than the taycan even with its high degree of turning. All-in-all is not about Porsche doing it so it’s visually noticeable but instead so you can notice it when you are driving, which I do. Even when I took my Dad for a ride he noticed it without me saying the car had it. Also, my fiancé notices it and she doesn’t even care about things like that.
I think you need to drive one without it and then you will realise the impact it has. Or, drive a car that’s a similar size.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the rear wheels on the Taycan only move once the car starts rolling to avoid dry steering.

When I look in my side mirrors when parking I sometimes see the rear wheels moving. Not a massive amount but they do.
Btw the turning radius on an s class is still bigger than the taycan even with its high degree of turning. All-in-all is not about Porsche doing it so it’s visually noticeable but instead so you can notice it when you are driving, which I do. Even when I took my Dad for a ride he noticed it without me saying the car had it. Also, my fiancé notices it and she doesn’t even care about things like that.
I think you need to drive one without it and then you will realise the impact it has. Or, drive a car that’s a similar size.
Prior to my Taycan I had a Panamera Sport Turismo - perfect comparison of size. I really don’t notice the “advantage“ of RWS when parking in an underground parking space I use regularly. The space is between two pillars (front and rear) and is about 8m in length (so tight).

I don’t do many U-turns (typically I don’t get lost ;-) ) but agree the turning circle is smaller - not a reason to purchase RAS in my case.

Perhaps I don’t notice as I was already used to parking the Pana and had perfected the technique which potentially disguises what the RWS is providing during tight parking manoeuvres.

No argument when on the open road but again the handling of the Taycan is beyond the Panamera and I just convince myself that RAS is enhancing it.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Tan 2.8° = X/30cm
X= 30cm * tan 2.8°
X= 1,5cm (15mm movement of a wheel with a radius of 30cm).
So it's defenately noticable! :)

Last edited:

afel

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yep, I have it too and it is very noticeable! I will order it when I buy my next Porsche.

OP
OP

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tan 2.8° = X/30cm
X= 30cm * tan 2.8°
X= 1,5cm (15mm movement of a wheel with a radius of 30cm).
So it's defenately noticable! :)
so the movement is 15 mm ?

this gives a reduction in turning circle gives 30 cm reduction in radius ? Does this mean turning circle is reduced by 60 cm in diameter or total ?

OP
OP

seskiyapan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Prior to my Taycan I had a Panamera Sport Turismo - perfect comparison of size. I really don’t notice the “advantage“ of RWS when parking in an underground parking space I use regularly. The space is between two pillars (front and rear) and is about 8m in length (so tight).

I don’t do many U-turns (typically I don’t get lost ;-) ) but agree the turning circle is smaller - not a reason to purchase RAS in my case.

Perhaps I don’t notice as I was already used to parking the Pana and had perfected the technique which potentially disguises what the RWS is providing during tight parking manoeuvres.

No argument when on the open road but again the handling of the Taycan is beyond the Panamera and I just convince myself that RAS is enhancing it.
the panamera GT had RAS or not ?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have owned both a Panamera Turbo (non-RAS) and a Taycan (RAS). The Taycan is much easier to maneuver in tight spaces than the Panamera. The Taycan is my first Porsche with RAS. I will definitely order it again.

tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all

I recently got a 2021 4S . I ordered it with rear axle steering thinking to have better turning radius due to my parking garage too small . But I am really disappointed with it because I checked it couple times when I steer right or left while parking the rear wheels basically do not move OR it moves too little that I cant notice .

Any one with this option have similar experience or some pictures showing how much the rear wheels tilt to left or right ? I know 2.8 degrees (stated in Porsche website) is very little but I should at least notice it .

I dont know how it affects the handling at higher speeds since I did not drive a Taycan without it, but I think it was a waste of money. I should have used the budget for other options.
I’ve driven them both. It definitely makes a difference. High speed stability and cornering is immensely better. Low speed maneuverability is improved too. This is the one option I wish I DID have. Don’t look for the movement. Just because you don’t see it (I couldn’t either) doesn’t mean it isn’t profoundly effective.

Bari

First Name
Bari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 911 GTS, 2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe, 2021 Taycan.
Country flag
Hi all

I recently got a 2021 4S . I ordered it with rear axle steering thinking to have better turning radius due to my parking garage too small . But I am really disappointed with it because I checked it couple times when I steer right or left while parking the rear wheels basically do not move OR it moves too little that I cant notice .

Any one with this option have similar experience or some pictures showing how much the rear wheels tilt to left or right ? I know 2.8 degrees (stated in Porsche website) is very little but I should at least notice it .

I dont know how it affects the handling at higher speeds since I did not drive a Taycan without it, but I think it was a waste of money. I should have used the budget for other options.
I had a 2017 911 with it and a 2019 without it. A big difference with performance driving and u turns.

TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4s, Tesla X Performance, F150
Country flag
I agree completely. My Taycan with RAS has the best turning radius of any car I have owned. U turns are amazing.
[/QUOTE
Hi all

I have definitely noticed a difference when pulling into my garage or in parking lots compared to my prior car (AMG C63S coupe). I am very happy with it. Also, when I did the PEC pickup, I drove one of their cars with RAS and was shocked going through the slalom with how sharply it turned. It too me a couple tries to get used to it because the car handled more like a much smaller car than I expected.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
so the movement is 15 mm ?

this gives a reduction in turning circle gives 30 cm reduction in radius ? Does this mean turning circle is reduced by 60 cm in diameter or total ?
No, it's the radius of a Taycan wheel, around 60cm in diameter (radius is half the diameter).
Turn radius with RAS is about 1 meter less according to Porsche.
Sponsored

Last edited: