Scared to ask... anyone tempted by Model S Plaid?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Marques Brownlee's first driving impressions of the Model S Plaid

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
But, at the risk of totally getting flamed, did the new Tesla Plaid tempt any of you who are waiting on an allocation for a Taycan?

I think I'm going to stay the course w my order, but I was tempted a little bit.
Not tempted at all. Several years ago, when the original MS arrived, I was tempted. Not a bad looking car on the exterior, but the interior looked like a freakish 1970's vintage Pontiac with an iPad taped to the dash. I simply could not overcome that putrid interior and went with a Cadillac ELR instead (only 40 miles of range on battery power but that pretty much handled my daily drive). The MS and/or MS Plaid is now greatly improved on the interior but it still is not much fun to drive -- unless you are either comparing it to ICE vehicles or are really into drag racing. Almost all EVs are more fun that ICE vehicles, but the Taycan is in a league of its own -- for now at least. Maybe Gen-Z appreciates the MS Plaid yoke and gaming apparatus (whatever) but I could care less. I just want to have a fun, quiet ride on the way into work and I think that until I'm about 80 years old I'll be able to steer my own car.

OP
OP

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
Interesting - like to listen to people with much more experience!

I also really like this view. When my wife got the MS90D, I was still driving my luxury A7. Perfect car in every way, but the drive train. Over the years I often thought, this Audi all electric would be perfect! My Taycan is better in some ways but not quite as good in others. Pano, AC, range, and a few other small nags - but I love it MUCH more than my A7.
What about the AC is subpar? I love AC and that doesn't sound good.

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What about the AC is subpar? I love AC and that doesn't sound good.
Mine had multiple AC failures and this past June they replaced the entirety of the system and it was good and I wouldn’t complain. On low in my Taycan and my other vehicles it’s frigid in nearly 90 degree weather. That was never the case in my model S. In my sons model Y it works as one would expect. I don’t know what it was with my S.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is fast...

I can't wait to see Nurburgring times, rumors are they are running on the ring in these coming weeks.

Competition is good: maybe this will get Porsche unlock some more performance, especially on RWD and 4S, where it seems that there's a bit more they are withholding just to have cleaner model separation.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yeah it’s no joke - this thing is quick.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
we know the plaid is quick - super quick - embarassingly quick - but the big “message” in that video - is when the guy just says “I’m done I’m ordering one” - and does so on his phone right then right there

no dealer
no adm
no allocation BS
simple configurator

we’ve not only got to accelerate the transition to EV - but we’ve got to get rid of this awful dealer network…

Porsche needs to add a “buy now” button to the configurator - it’s quite frankly just plain stupid that I have to interact with a clueless sales person to do my order entry - drives me nuts.

the most impressive part of that video is when the TurboS owner orders a Plaid track side before the 3rd race - almost faster than the time it takes the plaid to do the 1/4…you can question his judgement - but OMG watch the eCommerce dominate and you can see why dealers/existing-auto hates Tesla - it up ends their entire model - boom I want one - it’s done.

dealers are not long for this world - and I for one won’t miss them.

Last edited:

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
we know the plaid is quick - super quick - embarassingly quick - but the big “message” in that video - is when the guy just says “I’m done I’m ordering one” - and does so on his phone right then right there

no dealer
no adm
no allocation BS
simple configurator

we’ve not only got to accelerate the transition to EV - but we’ve got to get rid of this awful dealer network…

Porsche needs to add a “buy now” button to the configurator - it’s quite frankly just plain stupid that I have to interact with a clueless sales person to do my order entry - drives me nuts.

the most impressive part of that video is when he orders one track side before the 3rd race

+1 billion to that.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag

no dealer
no adm
no allocation BS
simple configurator

the most impressive part of that video is when the TurboS owner orders a Plaid track side before the 3rd race - almost faster than the time it takes the plaid to do the 1/4…you can question his judgement - but OMG watch the eCommerce dominate and you can see why dealers/existing-auto hates Tesla - it up ends their entire model - boom I want one - it’s done.

yeah on the purchase side dealers certainly don’t seem to add much value. I’m a bit more cautious in wishing for the demise of dealers when it comes to service. For dealers, warranty work is a profit center so they have an incentive to make the experience relatively friendly. You can see what might happen to service if you look at Tesla: have to go through an app, long waits, no ability to speak with someone. Im not saying that all manufacturers will deal with service as badly as Tesla (or that all dealers are good at it), just that they woukd have an incentive to cut as much cost as possible which would inevitably lead to a worse experience on average.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
yeah on the purchase side dealers certainly don’t seem to add much value. I’m a bit more cautious in wishing for the demise of dealers when it comes to service. For dealers, warranty work is a profit center so they have an incentive to make the experience relatively friendly. You can see what might happen to service if you look at Tesla: have to go through an app, long waits, no ability to speak with someone. Im not saying that all manufacturers will deal with service as badly as Tesla (or that all dealers are good at it), just that they woukd have an incentive to cut as much cost as possible which would inevitably lead to a worse experience on average.
As someone that has a wholesale dealers license, knows owners of franchise dealers of exotic cars, non franchise exotic dealers, I can tell you they are just about all liars.
The barrier of entry is so low to sell cars, that to make money you have to lie or not act in the best interest of the customer.
I would say this is true for OEMs to an extent, hence razor thin margins.

Because of this, there many protections in place for the consumer, at many levels.

That being said, Teslas business practices are as bad as the bottom of the barrel, crook dealers out there.
The difference is that Tesla isn't a dealer so consumers are not protected by those laws.

I would ask people look into the lawsuits filed against Tesla for their practices.

Dealers are a nesesnecessary evil