i’m highly motivated to get the 12v issue fixed
Sponsored

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I didn't edited it but removed it completely and replaced it by a more appropriate reply to avoid exactly what you are doing now.
You also edited your comment, my comment on that still stands.
My problem was the replies were not on topic (my initial comment).
I just said OTA-updates are ment for not having to visit the dealer.
Again, all I was saying.
That's exactly what OTA-updates are for, that's not guessing my dear friend.
You made it bigger, based on assumptions.
But let's just skip this silly discussion, shall we?
I don't want to revive the discussion, but I GUESS Porsche is also starting a new business model with the Taycan besides stepping into the EV world.

Offcourse OTA will be able to solve problems without going to the dealer, but I it's more than that. They are trying to give us what people demand nowaydays. Not going out to buy stuff, but adding/buying it through internet, paying for it with our creditcard and receiving it within a day. People just don't want to wait when they have there mind set on something.

Buying a 911 requires more visits to the dealer for maintanance, because of all the moving parts, oil etc. The Taycan has (almost) no moving engine parts, regenerative brakes, etc. therefore we pay less for maintance (really GUESSING, but recent maintance charts are promissing). So one way to keep the business going is that we can add accessible OTA software without going to the dealer. It costs Porsche nothing because all the hardware is already installed.

I also don't think Porsche wants to prevent us from going to the dealer, because for them it's a commercial business oppertunity when clients arrive in their shop. Especially with all the nice toys to look at.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Three new features post update:

Park Assist Not Available
Rear Cross Traffic Alert Not Available
Increased Speed Limits in the U.K.

In all seriousness though, the driver assistance settings now seem to stay checked and Car Play starts a bit quicker.

The two failed driver assistance aids that have now failed means is almost impossible to park the car as the ultrasonic sensors don’t register proximity.

No amount of restarting the car makes any difference.

She’s going to have to go back.

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 501C6C2B-F057-4F62-B7BD-2258F1963C5D

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 89E01539-2660-4B2A-8961-79A7C46E0933

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update F66A90F3-71A1-4269-9247-6A3C47C78152

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Three new features post update:

Park Assist Not Available
Rear Cross Traffic Alert Not Available
Increased Speed Limits in the U.K.

In all seriousness though, the driver assistance settings now seem to stay checked and Car Play starts a bit quicker.

The two failed driver assistance aids that have now failed means is almost impossible to park the car as the ultrasonic sensors don’t register proximity.

No amount of restarting the car makes any difference.

She’s going to have to go back.

501C6C2B-F057-4F62-B7BD-2258F1963C5D.jpeg

89E01539-2660-4B2A-8961-79A7C46E0933.jpeg

F66A90F3-71A1-4269-9247-6A3C47C78152.jpeg
Did you uncheck and check all the different settings again?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
All, my MY20 4s went in on Wed at 9am for the update and I picked it up today at 3pm. The service manager indicated all went smoothly. I was of course very concerned after reading this forum. Upon getting in the car, the wireless Apple play started right up! Didn’t even plug it in once. All settings except for the star button on the dash and the lane keep assist were as I left them. My profile and seat memory settings were all fine. And the best part is - I fully charged the car head of a long drive tomorrow and got 260 miles of range...which I have never seen the likes of in my car. Frankly, other than the fact that the drivers seat seems to like to go to a weird position sometime after I get out (I then hold the memory 1 button and it’s back - let’s see if this happens more than twice), I’d say I’m pretty happy with the results. Of course if anything changes I’ll be back here to vent (read: report).
Sounds like
Did you uncheck and check all the different settings again?
Did you stand on one leg while rubbing the top of your head with your left hand in a counter-clockwise direction (unless it’s an odd day during an even month, in which case use your right hand in a clockwise direction)?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If the update doesn't succeed the first time, it's not your problem.
If you run into the 12V issue, it is.
Mine had the WMA5 update and it wasn't a problem, it all went smoothly.
Now I'm able to receive OTA updates and it's supposed to prevent visiting the dealer for updates in the future.

Not all cars have update problems you know.
There's not a single Taycan that has been written off, in all cases the dealer (will/have to) sort the problem.
If you're not familiar with forums or Internet it looks like all cars have problems...
I drove a rotary (Mazda RX8) for 15 years, 115000km and still do, not a single problem whatsoever although Internet thinks differently...
Looks like you missed the point of th
If the update doesn't succeed the first time, it's not your problem.
If you run into the 12V issue, it is.
Mine had the WMA5 update and it wasn't a problem, it all went smoothly.
Now I'm able to receive OTA updates and it's supposed to prevent visiting the dealer for updates in the future.

Not all cars have update problems you know.
There's not a single Taycan that has been written off, in all cases the dealer (will/have to) sort the problem.
If you're not familiar with forums or Internet it looks like all cars have problems...
I drove a rotary (Mazda RX8) for 15 years, 115000km and still do, not a single problem whatsoever although Internet thinks differently...
I get what you're saying but you missed the point of the post or maybe I wasn't clear enough. If I understand you correctly, I'm well aware of discussions that take place on the internet/forums. You just have to use common sense to filter out what it is said out there, and sometimes approach it with a cynical attitude. Since many here on the forum have expressed concerned with the update, I rather err on the side of caution and wait until later to update..... and of course I wouldn't expect anything less from a dealer to take care of an intentional/unintentional screw up...

My point is that I do not want to take the car in for an update when possibilities of complications could arise for some unforeseen reason or another. That said, I do not want my car to be at the dealer any longer than it has to. From experience, and more often than not, anytime one of my vehicles is at the shop for an extended stay, I receive them back with scratches or wheel curb scuff. In those instances, I have to make arrangements to dick around with them to keep the car there or bring it in at a later time. So the bottom line: (1) I want to avoid these minor damages from happening, (2) I don't want to waste time dealing with this and (3) don't need the hassle.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll throw some (educated) guessing and opinions in here...

1) The financial motivation for OTA updates is clear - avoid the cost (which ultimately goes back to Porsche) of going to the dealer. Better user experience as Tesla has proven is a bonus.

2) Simple OTA updates should be easier and more expanded (simple meaning one module or system or some data that can be rolled back if the update fails). Complex updates may still require a visit to the dealership. What is a complex update? Well:

Module A and module B both need to be updated. Modules A and B can only communicate if they are running matching versions (in other words if one is updated, so must the other). Module A's update requires a bootloader update which cannot be rolled back (a poor design decision, but it exists). Module A updates successfully but module B fails. Module B can be rolled back but module A cannot and now things are broken. The dealer should have specialized equipment to update module B via a different mechanism.

The above scenario can be avoided if every system that might be updated is designed with OTA updates in mind. Porsche (or their subs) have a few misses here.

But let's say there is a software work-around for the module A can't be rolled back bootloader issue, or a fix for the module A and B require the same version issue - now you have "expanded" the range of potential OTA updates with this fix, but it required a trip to the dealer to get to that point (even if that dealer visit was only precautionary in case the update failed).

3) There is the simple possibility that the update is too large to fit in limited storage space in the car. Again though, this is a design issue - you could add more space and you could have designed systems to be more able to be updated sequentially so updates could be done in steps instead of one large update.

This concludes the opinion and guesses part of this reply.

I am booked Monday 26th for WMA5.

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since the update on MY 21 4S I’ve now had the Collision Warning – pop-up and applying some breaking twice on separate days on a road I drive very often near my house, up a hill with a blind bend. On both occasions there has been no near collision, in fact on both occasions there was not another car or pedestrian in sight, I wasn’t speeding (going 30 mph) , I wasn’t on the wrong side of the road and the weather was dry.

Never happened pre-Update.

Anyone else noticed any issues with any of the Assistance/Warning settings now being either faulty or too-sensitive? I’ll check the Good to Know App but I don’t think you can permanently turn them off and they reset each time you start the car, will need to double-check though.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Since the update on MY 21 4S I’ve now had the Collision Warning – pop-up and applying some breaking twice on separate days on a road I drive very often near my house, up a hill with a blind bend. On both occasions there has been no near collision, in fact on both occasions there was not another car or pedestrian in sight, I wasn’t speeding (going 30 mph) , I wasn’t on the wrong side of the road and the weather was dry.

Never happened pre-Update.

Anyone else noticed any issues with any of the Assistance/Warning settings now being either faulty or too-sensitive? I’ll check the Good to Know App but I don’t think you can permanently turn them off and they reset each time you start the car, will need to double-check though.
You may have to check if the warning is set to default (early) again.
Mine is set to "late" (not "too late" :) )

Settings -> Assistance systems settings -> Warn and Brake assist.

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update Screenshot_20210418-193540

Last edited:

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You may have to check if the warning is set to default (early) again.
Mine is set to "late" (not "too late" :) )

Settings -> Assistance systems settings -> Warn and Brake assist.

Screenshot_20210418-193540.png

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update WarnAssist

I don't have all the settings you have - I only have collision warning and it was set to Medium - I've now changed it to Late and will see if that makes a difference, not sure if it's country dependant and the UK spec doesn't have them or it's because I didn't spec something i.e. I don't have innodrive?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
WarnAssist.jpg

I don't have all the settings you have - I only have collision warning and it was set to Medium - I've now changed it to Late and will see if that makes a difference, not sure if it's country dependant and the UK spec doesn't have them or it's because I didn't spec something i.e. I don't have innodrive?
If you don't stop driving on the left it's no surprise the warning comes on every time!

PS I hope it helps. :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
WarnAssist.jpg

Adaptive Cruise Control is needed for all but the basic settings.