Taycan Turbo S vs. Model S Plaid - really by this much!?

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The Plaid completely wipes the table with the Taycan Turbo S and EVERY other car on the road. It consistently runs 9.3 sec 1/4 mile at 150mph+. This car beats a $3MM Bugatti Veyron. Now, if I had spent $3MM to have the fastest car in the world, I might be a bit miffed if a $150K Tesla kicks my butt. Ha ha. :rock:

I don't fault Tesla one bit. They are one of the most innovative companies on the planet, and they are really pushing the limits in a variety of areas, and as a consequence, they have problems in those areas. They are also nowhere near the build or driving quality of a Porsche. But let's remember here that we probably wouldn't even be talking about the Taycan, much less own one, if Elon Musk hadn't started this company, against all odds, and made it successful.

There are all sorts of videos and test results that confirm the numbers above:

https://carbuzz.com/news/tesla-model-s-plaid-vs-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-drag-race-is-not-even-close

Note the driver in the video is actually complaining about 'my head feels like it's going to explode' when going full throttle. Another important point is any drag strip that is NHRA certified is going to require a PARACHUTE for this car.:oops::CWL:

Tesla has definitely thrown the gauntlet, and we'll all be better off for it. :clap:

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I learned from some prior threads and Car and Driver test reports that roll-out is a normal part of straight line testing. Example: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/0-60-times-without-launch-control.4343
I will give you that for a 0-60 time when the car is on its own, however I have never seen that allowed on a head-to-head drag race, which is what this is.....heck, I am not an expert, but I have seen some episodes of Street Outlaws :cool:;), and I can tell you he 'jumped the light'!:cool:

OP
OP
MJH_102383

MJH_102383

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan Turbo S; MY22 911 GT3; MY22 911 TS Cab
Country flag
I guess I dont really care because faster acceleration alone wouldn't make me want to buy the Tesla. Selfishly, I hope this does dissuade many potential Taycan buyers forcing Porsche to lower their prices or be less draconian with their std equipment :). (yeah I know its never gonna happen).
This is well said I would be shocked if more than 10% of Porsche owners would ever switch a Tesla. It is a different market and I agree Elon has done a great job making EVs “cool” but beyond that I would never spend $ on a car that looks like every other Tesla on the road, and I don’t know if it’s me or what but there are so many Model 3’s, Model X’s, and Model S’s it’s almost a dime a dozen.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
to me, this line

"I've driven fast cars before, but this one I could really feel," the driver said. "Not everybody can handle this."

says it all (italics mine for emphasis). Unfortunately a lot of people that won't be able to handle it will buy it anyway .... and then the fun will begin.....
This.

What we really need is to have more sub-2 second 0-60 cars on public roads in the hands of owners who have never had high performance driver training or track experience and whose only real skill is the ability to write a big check. What could possibly go wrong?

Tay-k

First Name
Tayk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-faster-than-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-2021-8

I can’t see myself ever leaving the ultimate refinement of Porsche for a car that feels like a Kia with a lot of power (test drove Model 3, S, X all felt like I went back 15 years in quality)… but yikes this is almost embarrassing!
So when I read the article, I too was quite triggered by this given I am a huge fan of German automotive engineering and esp. Porsche but as some of the other posters rightly said here, its oranges to apples and here is why:

1) There is no point in attaching an unstable powertrain to a car if it ends up bursting into a ball of flames as the Plaid does:

2) The Taycan Turbo S or even inferior Taycans handle much better and have superior electronics/balancing systems making the driving experience better than a Tesla, which is an American product and naturally therefore, somewhat inferior. Germans do not mess around when building anything and this brings me to point 3)

3) Repeatability: Can this Plaid really do 0-60 in under 2 seconds 10x in a row without dying out 3-4 runs in or bursting into flames? The Taycan will eat the Plaid if you test launch control over multiple tries.

4) The Plaid beating the Taycan Turbo S is the best thing that ever happened as this will no doubt piss Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart off as let's be honest, Porsche has a brand to maintain and need to be seen as the most powerful and fastest. They will now develop a new iteration that will beat the Plaid. This is how competitive cycles work. But I don't think they will just 'edge' the plaid, i feel they will completely annhilate it in the 0-60. Keep in mind Porsche probably already had a version that could do 0-60 in 1.5 sec or less but perhaps it was unstable and needed more R&D. Germans are all about overall power, speed, stability.

IMHO Porsche is just getting revved up and a decade long battle is brewing. Ultimately Tesla will cave because they aren't a car company and never really have been. They are focused on battery tech, in-car software, charge networks and Bitcoin/Doge.

CxM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Love my Taycan, but I recognize and respect the tech in the Plaid and the 0-60 abilities. They keep setting the bar on straight line acceleration and tech inside. We all know they lack in the quality and finer details.. but I look at them as a more of a tech company, and not like an old established auto manufacturer. That gives them pros and cons in this business.

I'm hoping that Porsche can do over air updates to improve the Taycan times.
Perhaps when Porsche has their new advanced batteries and next gen electric motors, (with help of Rimac?) they will also be in the 1000+hp range.

Also, I'm sure we'll eventually see faster times, but getting past the 1.9 sec 0-60 barrier will be hard to beat without better tire tech. (or without mini thrusters ?)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
They are one of the most innovative companies on the planet, and they are really pushing the limits in a variety of areas, and as a consequence, they have problems in those areas.
I came to say this essentially. I think the Plaid is a good upgrade for Tesla and yes, they will build and release in a much quicker cycle than traditional companies. This helps them get there quicker and it also shows in the build quality and other longer term issues.

For example I am guessing (complete guess here, based on previous Tesla behaviour) that the Plaid has everything pushed to the limit. Let's have them on the road for a year or so and see if anything starts to have issues. By contrast I have a feeling everything in the Taycan is massively under the limits of engineering and conservative.

So if I wanted a disposable drag race car I'd definitely grab a Tesla Plaid. If I want a car I feel comfortable pushing to the limit I'd go with Porsche or Audi.

Time will tell.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
3) Repeatability: Can this Plaid really do 0-60 in under 2 seconds 10x in a row without dying out 3-4 runs in or bursting into flames? The Taycan will eat the Plaid if you test launch control over multiple tries.
people really need to give up on this - Tesla has moved beyond this problem with the 3/Y/Plaid - only the S/X have this issue.

so you’re going to bang on this issue for TEsla - but radio silence that my Taycan has the exact same behavior after several hot laps at Laguna and can not complete a full 20 minute DE session.

The plaid can do repeated launched with no battery thermal neutering.

also I’m really really glad we’re all driving cars from manufacuturers that can’t burtst into flames…

https://www.total911.com/porsche-reveal-cause-of-991-gt3-fires/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30986407/porsche-taycan-ev-fire-garage-florida/

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
People saying the plaid is smashing any other sports/Hypercar, are exactly the people Porsche is not aiming for. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on a dragstrip are the easiest tasks for a car. We have 20 year old Audis tuned to 1000hp delivering similar times.

Hard turns in the Taycan giving you the feeling your moving a 1.5 ton car. Twisty roads in a Carrera S hearing the boxer engine rev up. Parking the car and looking back, every single time even after years.

Jumping and calling the plaid the killer to everything is more than a far stretch. It’s a cool car and many will like it. Many won’t.

Erez123

First Name
Erez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Panamera GTS
Country flag
Tesla deserve their dues.
They have made a blistering fast car (in a straight line), improved the handling (which was atrocious before), build quality and the repeatability.
These are not insignificant things.
However, the car drives nowhere near as well as a Taycan….the build quality and materials is on a different league altogether…..the exterior of the car is incomparable……the options are night snd day…..and worst of all, the “steering wheel” and buttons/gear shift combo, make manouvering a nightmare.
So it really is comparing apples to oranges. The plaid is an amazing feat of engineering, that makes that drivetrain possible….the best drag strip production car you can get for the money.
The taycan is a luxury car that handles better, looks better and has better overall spec.
I still think you’d need to be mad to pay $150k + for a one trick pony, that will be beaten in the next few years (as they all will, with battery tech improving), but to each their own, and it’s good to have “competition” driving everyone forward.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
This.

What we really need is to have more sub-2 second 0-60 cars on public roads in the hands of owners who have never had high performance driver training or track experience and whose only real skill is the ability to write a big check. What could possibly go wrong?
Based on the comments about the brakes (way under sized for the weight and speeds), wait until a couple of Plaid owners head to a road track and cook the brakes after a couple of laps and end up in a barrier.

Years ago my brother put a supercharger on his Mustang Cobra. We went to a track day and after two laps he cracked both of his rotors. He found a shop nearby that had replacements, and swapped them out. Two laps later same thing. A big heavy car with insane acceleration needs some serious brakes.

The Plaid running around Laguna Seca has aftermarket brakes (possibly carbon ceramic). I'll be curious to see if a stock Plaid can really handle the repetitive braking on a tough road track.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
"I own a Porsche" sounds way better than "I own a Tesla".
:giggle:
Whether it sounds better or not depends on the audience. And whether being the guy/gal with the Porsche is something one wants to advertise also really depends.

Here in Seattle, Porsche are increasingly the "I need a car to show off" purchases for housewives. Cayenne and Macan overload in the the school parking lot during drop-off.

If people ask me, I mention the Teslas and avoid talking about the Porsche, unless I know the other person is a car enthusiast and buying cars in the same or higher price bracket.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
......4) The Plaid beating the Taycan Turbo S is the best thing that ever happened as this will no doubt piss Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart off as let's be honest, Porsche has a brand to maintain and need to be seen as the most powerful and fastest. They will now develop a new iteration that will beat the Plaid. This is how competitive cycles work. But I don't think they will just 'edge' the plaid, i feel they will completely annhilate it in the 0-60. Keep in mind Porsche probably already had a version that could do 0-60 in 1.5 sec or less but perhaps it was unstable and needed more R&D. Germans are all about overall power, speed, stability.

IMHO Porsche is just getting revved up and a decade long battle is brewing......
This.
This is Porsche's inaugural EV. I have confidence that competition is revving up and it is no mistake that they own so much of Bugatti-Rimac, they are making an investment in the future and future models will have this nuisance licked in the next couple of year. My bet is on Porsche to be victorious and Tesla get brought down a notch and compete with the Nisan's of the market and switch majority of their profits to SpaceX and government contracts. They just don't have the infrastructure to innovate on anything other than 0-60.
This is just my opinion and time will tell, but again....I am betting on Porsche's next iterations to blow by Tesla on more than just 0-60.
Sponsored