GtechRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
As many have already noted, the UK charging infrastructure is pants. Not a massive issue for me currently as with just over 10k miles logged, I've only charged away from home or workplace 6 times.

Just did a trip from home (Northampton) to Manchester and back. NCP carpark had EO chargers that didn't work so stopped at a BP charge station on the way home that was dogshit slow (28kw) so only juiced enough to get to the Ionity charge station at Stafford which got up to 198kw so after a brew had enough to comfortably get home.

Seems like the Ionity stations are the best of the crop. Has anyone got near the 350kw max?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As many have already noted, the UK charging infrastructure is pants. Not a massive issue for me currently as with just over 10k miles logged, I've only charged away from home or workplace 6 times.

Just did a trip from home (Northampton) to Manchester and back. NCP carpark had EO chargers that didn't work so stopped at a BP charge station on the way home that was dogshit slow (28kw) so only juiced enough to get to the Ionity charge station at Stafford which got up to 198kw so after a brew had enough to comfortably get home.

Seems like the Ionity stations are the best of the crop. Has anyone got near the 350kw max?
350kW is impossible and actual max is 270 kW from a 350kW EVSE.

Many reasons for not getting the best through put - ambient temp, battery temp, throttling via PCM or via operator of EVSE, load sharing at multi EVSE locations, battery SOC at start of session (the higher it is the less kW you can consume up to 80 / 85%) and so on.

If you don't have the 400v - 800v DC to DC booster then the BP EVSE (if 150 kw / 175kW rated) will max out at 50 kW.

I think my best was sub 200 but rarely use the 350kW units as there are rarer than hen's teeth in these parts.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I've seen 262kW in the car this summer at Ionity chargers. I have reliably hit over 250kW at various Porsche and Ionity chargers.

When it works this well (and it doesn't always), owning an EV vs ICE fuel-ups is a completely painless experience with stops lasting ~15 minutes

If anything, the stops were a little too short for me to have bathroom breaks + coffee; the car was already charged up to 80% and ready to go. I felt guilty leaving it a few minutes more as there was usually a steady stream of electric cars coming and sometimes queuing.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I've seen 262kW in the car this summer at Ionity chargers. I have reliably hit over 250kW at various Porsche and Ionity chargers.

When it works this well (and it doesn't always), owning an EV vs ICE fuel-ups is a completely painless experience with stops lasting ~15 minutes

If anything, the stops were a little too short for me to have bathroom breaks + coffee; the car was already charged up to 80% and ready to go. I felt guilty leaving it a few minutes more as there was usually a steady stream of electric cars coming and sometimes queuing.
I have similar experience at Ionity in France, Uk, Sweden, Germany, Denmark. When driving long trips the battery is well prepared and regularly gives 260 kW+ charging speed. The max I have seen is 264 kW.

I normally reduce the charging with the battery save function to 200 kW in order to have a comfort break and some coffee. Many times our car has charged from 10% to well beyond the 80% level when we have returned. So from a practical point we have never waited for the car to charge.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've seen high 260's which is close to the max for the Taycan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've seen 268 kW for a bit - then it tapers - this sort of charge rate is rare in my experience, but 150 kW+ is very very common - the difference between 268 kW + taper and a steady 150 kW+ is less than 6 min total charge time - taper is extreme after 95% and generally not worth the time spent at the charge site vs. range you're actually gaining.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have similar experience at Ionity in France, Uk, Sweden, Germany, Denmark. When driving long trips the battery is well prepared and regularly gives 260 kW+ charging speed. The max I have seen is 264 kW.

I normally reduce the charging with the battery save function to 200 kW in order to have a comfort break and some coffee. Many times our car has charged from 10% to well beyond the 80% level when we have returned. So from a practical point we have never waited for the car to charge.
I’ve played before with the battery save function but AFAIK, t doesn’t simply cap at 200kwh, but rather takes a haircut over the whole charging curve. So where usually at ~65% the car will take 180kW, with the battery preservation function it will only take ~120kW. I seem however to always be in a hurry when I need to DC so I often don’t use the battery saver function

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Fastest charge you've had? 357221A1-EB82-4DBC-9C2C-BE43AF120121

I got 269kW couple of times but never 270kW.
When I road-trip in Europe I always go deep and precondition the car.
If it’s Ionity, I’ll get more than 250 or there is a problem.
In other stations it’s often way less.

icedup51

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY22 and Abarth 595 Trofero:
Country flag

Seems like the Ionity stations are the best of the crop. Has anyone got near the 350kw UOTE]

268k at Abingdon near Oxford

darth_maul_80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 , Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’ve had 267kw when I charged at Milton Keynes IONITY in the summer. Prior to that the max I had was 190kw but then noticed that battery saving was ticked so I u ticked it given I pretty much always charged at home

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks like the folks on Ionity are closer to reaching that max 270kW! Here's my top EA charging rate at 265 kW.

Porsche Taycan Fastest charge you've had? Screenshot_20221219_222112_Photos

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Enjoyed constantly great speeds at IONITY and Porsche both in UK and across Europe, except for the one outlier Cobham Services which appears to have serious output issues. Never seen above 50 kW at that specific location.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve only broken 100 once in about 10 charges, hitting 115. Most have been 70-80, one was 28. ‘350 kWh chargers’ makes me lol.

My guess is that it’s just not possible for the EA chargers to access enough power behind a dumpster at Taco Bell.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I’ve only broken 100 once in about 10 charges, hitting 115. Most have been 70-80, one was 28. ‘350 kWh chargers’ makes me lol.

My guess is that it’s just not possible for the EA chargers to access enough power behind a dumpster at Taco Bell.
Exactly my experience at EA.
Sponsored