texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Jeep Wrangler 392
Country flag
We own a Model 3 and a Taycan. I'll try and give feedback.

This I can't comment on. Rear seats and doors are unnecessary items to me and I wish our cars had neither.

Lol. Does the rear legroom appear to be roughly the same as your Model 3?

Thank you for the feedback!
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
OP, sure you want to abandon Tesla right before Musk releases fully autonomous driving later this year?
the spaceX starship rocket launched today had the "Full Self Driving" beta running on it…

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP, sure you want to abandon Tesla right before Musk releases fully autonomous driving later this year?
I have the FSD beta now. It is impressive, but not quite ready for primetime in my opinion. No doubt it will improve dramatically in the next few years.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
I have the FSD beta now. It is impressive, but not quite ready for primetime in my opinion. No doubt it will improve dramatically in the next few years.
My Model S has basic autopilot. The Taycan has Innodrive. I would say they are roughly equivalent. Both are good at staying centered in the lane and adapting to changes in the speed of traffic around you. I use autopilot frequently on the highway. Stress free travel, as opposed to driving. I use Innodrive only when I want to do something with the PCM or take a drink. I want to drive the Taycan, not be driven in it. The driving experience is that much better.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
We have a Lucid in our family, does that count?

What's all the hype about tech? In the Lucid, I'm too focused on driving to play with any of the functions. The Taycan has CarPlay...the tech is good enough lol. Yes, the cameras need to be better. Cameras are supposed to used as aids anyway--look over you shoulder, turn your head, know your car better, or learn how to drive. Take FSD and innodrive elsewhere. You're supposed to drive a Porsche, not the other way around.

To the OP, I'll add one more thing. The Taycan has a brake pedal you actually use.

OP
OP

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We have a Lucid in our family, does that count?

What's all the hype about tech? In the Lucid, I'm too focused on driving to play with any of the functions. The Taycan has CarPlay...the tech is good enough lol. Yes, the cameras need to be better. Cameras are supposed to used as aids anyway--look over you shoulder, turn your head, know your car better, or learn how to drive. Take FSD and innodrive elsewhere. You're supposed to drive a Porsche, not the other way around.

To the OP, I'll add one more thing. The Taycan has a brake pedal you actually use.
Yes, I do one pedal driving now so I would have to get used to using the brake again. I heard that with the latest software update, the Taycan will do regen braking if the car senses something in front of it?

I test drove a Lucid a few days ago. Awesome machine!

DES_MX

First Name
DES_MX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan4 CT
Country flag
Can anyone comment on the rear passenger leg room compared to a Model 3 and/or a Model S?

How annoying is it to not have a dedicated Porsche supercharger network compared to Tesla's?

Did the latest software update allow you to receive OTA updates rather than bringing your Taycan to the dealer?

Can you use your phone as a key or do you have to carry the fob?

Any other surprises you noticed after moving from a Tesla?

I already assume the interior/exterior finish is much better than a Tesla and the driving experience sounds amazing.

Thanks!
Interesting that some questions were answered a bit one-sided. Here's my take, as new Taycan CT4 owner and previosuly owned M3P (among other cars):

1. At least in Cross Turismo rear seat leg room is fine, I'd say on par with M3P.

2. Tesla network is convenient, but at least in EU (maybe US too? soon?) Tesla has opened the network to non-Tesla EVs. With the 150kw on board charger you will make use of it just fine. So a non-issue really.

3. It should be possible, but not many updates are released anyway (for example even BMW updates their EVs quarterly, not so much with Porsche). Currently though, everything pretty much "just works". Haven't run into any issues in the 2.5 weeks of ownership, except one time having to hard-reset the PCM, but in all fairness same issue happened to me many times with Tesla and the BMW i4. So not better or worse.

4. Phone as a key - no, but you can lock/unlock the car from the app. You still need the actual key to start the car.

5. No surprises. Just don't expect a web browser, games, or farting pillow and you won't be disappointed. Car drives rock solid.

6. Driving experience is great. It's like M3P suddenly would get air suspension and absorb all the shocks, yet stay direct and agile. The car feels like it's on rails, but the moment you want to point it into a different direction, it just follows (unlike BMW i4 M50 for example).

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
I honestly don’t understand why people want this? Especially Porsche drivers. I bought this car because I love driving. If I wanted to be driven then I’d just get the bus.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've owned since 2012:
  • Model S P85
  • Model S P85D
  • Model X P90D
  • Model X P100D
  • Model 3P
  • Tesla Model Y AWD
I miss none of them vs. my Taycan

the Taycan is a tight quick awesome sports sedan - more like a 911 with a rear seat than a sporty Model S
Model S's space/cargo/cabin space is on another level vs. Taycan (Model S is better)
but every time I turn the wheel or touch the brake peddle in the Taycan I know which car is better and it's the Taycan
everytime I touch the screen in the Taycan I know which car is better - the Tesla
and everytime I fast charge with the CCS network I miss the supercharger network - but it works, but rarely without some extra effort.
When the CCS/EA network "works" it's better faster than I _EVER_ experienced with my Tesla's - but it rarely works and most of hte time you do not get optimal charge rates
but it's never "stranded" me - but sometimes it tries really really hard - doesn't matter I don't fast charge very often.

if you want a driver's EV the Taycan win's hands down
if you want a practical large sedan with excellent acceleration and a world class fast charging network Tesla is hard to beat.
Dave, what was your favorite Tesla?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yes, I do one pedal driving now so I would have to get used to using the brake again. I heard that with the latest software update, the Taycan will do regen braking if the car senses something in front of it?

I test drove a Lucid a few days ago. Awesome machine!
There are basically 3 "regeneration" strategies available in the Taycan.
The default is if you lift off the accelerator it coasts, if you press on the brake pedal it slows down. The braking is regerative most of the time with the pads only touching the discs at low speed or very high braking requirements, like an emergency stiop.
The first option adds a bit of regenerative deceleration when lifting off the accelerator to give a similar feel to the engine braking of a conventional IC engined car, which may be comforting to some people.
The second option gives variable regenerative deceleration depending on cars in front, from the most efficient coasting when on a quiet road to quite strong deceleration if a slow car is detected in front. I don't think this is a recently added feature though.
Sponsored