Rear Axle Steering

GOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CLS63 . Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Hello there,
i have a Taycan 4s in order and still have sometime to lock the spec. i am thinking to order the RAC but i am not sure if it is worth it and whether i will feel the difference in driving and parking. even some Porsche salesmen said it is not worth it unless you go to track. i tried to find some videos in youtube but i could't find anything for Taycan . i would be very thankful in guiding me on this and if some owners who have the option can demonstrate in videos to show the difference , that would be great. thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ordered the rear axel sterring with mine. From what I've read, it's essential for tight maneuvering like parking, but also dramatically increases the car’s handling at speed. Go for it!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
RWS improves the car’s handling in tight spaces no doubt - it’s a long car and RWS makes it more manageable day to day…

it’s also good on the track - but I consider that it’s minority use case

it’s also good for emergency high speed manuvers on the freeway if you have to avoid debris - ask me how I know?

I suggest getting the car in a configuration that represents all the best Porsche has to offer - and RWS is part of that aspirational goal…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm not convinced and have it on my 4S.

In terms of manoeuvring (parking) I honestly don't see a massive benefit as the degree of rear steer is almost imperceptible ( I was expecting a lot more).

Compare this to the setup on the new Mercedes S class and it is poles apart. The rear wheels obviously turn whereas on the Taycan blink you'd miss it

That aside I'm sure it has more benefit at higher speeds.

My car is getting the charge port door fixed today and have asked them to confirm if the rear axle steering is operative / installed or not as I have no means of checking other than the original car order form. That's how subtle it is.

Depending on your expectations and style of driving you may never experience the benefit.

JimBoBel

First Name
Jean-Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
From my humble experience, the turn radius of my 4S with RWS is smaller/shorter than on my previous BMW M2 (and we are absolutely not in the same size of vehicule). So if you will be driving/parking in tight space or going through tight bends often, I would go for it.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
It makes a massive difference.
I have driven both a car without it and my car with it. If you have it, you notice it.
Turning feels like the car is turning more from the middle instead of the front. Parking and other manoeuvres such as u-turns feel effortless. Even my dad noticed it when I gave him a ride, I didn’t even mention it to him.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t have it, don’t miss it. The cars balance and handling is superb (even) with out it, just had some fun in the snow Yesterday and the on limit balance is really ace. I drive and park in the city (Copenhagen) everyday, and find the turning radius is actually really good. However if you’re often parking / driving in really tight streets, really should have bought a FIAT 500, then I would go for it ;)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I don’t have it, don’t miss it. The cars balance and handling is superb (even) with out it, just had some fun in the snow Yesterday and the on limit balance is really ace. I drive and park in the city (Copenhagen) everyday, and find the turning radius is actually really good. However if you’re often parking / driving in really tight streets, really should have bought a FIAT 500, then I would go for it ;)
The FIAT 500e is a really nice car! I drove a FIAT 500 years ago and the Taycan with RAS feels like it, when taking U-turns. It is the first thing I noticed, when I left the dealership, and I enjoy it every time I drive it.

With my Audi A7 I could never get out without reversing before the red bucket. I would not want to buy a car without it.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I was on the fence but ended up getting it and it's THE best option I chose. I notice it all the time. You don't get a Taycan because you want the same old experience.

CJE

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Ford GT (part owner)
Country flag
I was on the fence but ended up getting it and it's THE best option I chose. I notice it all the time. You don't get a Taycan because you want the same old experience.
Of all the performance enhancing options Porsche offers I think this is the" must have". It simply "shortens" the car in all city maneuvering and "lengthens" it at high speeds. You can feel these advantages immediately and you will be amazed at the turning radius of what would otherwise be a "long car".

I had a Tesla Model S, practically the same dimensions, without it and my Taycan Turbo S feels like a 9ll compared to the Tesla. I credit RWS for this advantage. The Porsche dealer who is advising you is clearly not a regular Taycan owner, just a salesman working to close a sale. You will appreciate RWS every day and regret not having it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's exceptional.

The Taycan is a big friggin' car. You don't realize how big it is until you try to park in a tight parking space.

There's just no downside to RWS and it benefits you in all driving situations. You'll never regret having it but you might regret not having it.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have it (never had it before on another car). It is incredible how much the turning radius decreases. I can make U turns one lane closer with the Taycan than any other similar car I have owned. It will always be a must have option for me going forward.

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
It is the option I walked away from a car I had already built and locked for a later (4 months) build date. I wish I could have afforded all the performance options, but managed to make sure I got this one.

OP
OP

GOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CLS63 . Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Thank you guys for the Feedback. Definitely I will go for it.
Sponsored