Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have the thermal and noise insulation package, but the pano glass feels like standard!
I’m gonna add extra tinting to my roof to help keep out the sun.

I got a metal roof, but I figure I can’t be too careful. ?
Sponsored

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
We have the metal roof. I was apprehensive about feeling claustrophobic inside and a lack of headroom, but after long drives yesterday and today, no regrets. There is too much sun in FL, I don't need more. The Panamera had a screen, which helped, but no regrets on the Taycan. The metal roof also has an interesting contour which is lost on the glass roof.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I'm curious, how is that package working for you? I thought about getting that too but wasn't sure if I'd get a good bang for the buck. I was more interested in the thermal glass option, but I guess, by over-thinking things decided against it.
My choices were very limited. I wanted the sound insulation glass, but not the extra tint on the rear side windows. The looks are not my style. But I had to order both or nothing. So took both. Got used to it. But the pano was standard and no choice to remove it.

The sound insulation is always a good option to pick, and def would want it again.

Bertibasset

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The only 2 options I got which I’m no longer thrilled with are the powered charge ports & electric sport sound. Both a bit gimmicky in my view but also not very expensive so I wouldn’t be bothered either way.

I use the charging port every day but I feel I wouldn’t miss the powered element. I hardly ever use sport sound, I’m slightly embarrassed to switch it on where pedestrians will hear it, and I prefer to listen to music than sport sound.
Totally agree the sport sound just sounds ridiculous. The powered charge ports are not very reliable and can be troublesome

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I‘m still waiting on my car. I got the passenger display because I road trip a lot and thought it would be useful for the passenger to be able to change music, use the nav, etc. Why do you both find it not worth the money?
I have the passenger display, but I'd say that the primary complaints about the passenger display:
  • Cannot show CarPlay. This means that the passenger really needs to use the central display to change musid if you're using CarPlay or navigation if you're using Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps.
  • Limited Number of Things to Show. I find things that I'd like shown on the display are not available. In addition to the CarPlay, I'd like to be able to show even a slide show or something on that display, but it's really only useful for Weather and Cockpit views. While both of these are nice, it hardly justifies the added cost. No way to put night vision on the screen or some other display feature that would be interesting or handy.
  • Cannot have the display on when driving alone. Given the limits of what is even on the display, it would be nice to have something visible on the display that would be useful as a quick reference. The Weather screen is a good example, as would be other information that you don’t need right in front of you.
All told, it’s a lot of money for not as much functionality as you’d think. Ironically, this could change at some point in the future (CarPlay could be made available in the second screen, for example) and that would change my view of it. As it is, if I was forced to drop one of the too many options I specified on my vehicle, this is the one that I would drop first.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
I got most of the optional extra electric features.

Auto parking is useless.
The passenger display is useless if you use car play.

Active lane keeping is primitive and unreliable, but I still drive with it on.

I would get PPF not ceramic.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I got most of the optional extra electric features.

Auto parking is useless.
The passenger display is useless if you use car play.

Active lane keeping is primitive and unreliable, but I still drive with it on.

I would get PPF not ceramic.
As you know i have satin ppf with ceramic, car gets dirty standing still

I dont use car play so much, i love passenger display, even if its just the Taycan logo most the time

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The powered charge ports are not very reliable and can be troublesome
I do not believe this to be universally true - I charge my Taycan every day - sometimes multiple time if I'm fast charging - I've owned since July 2020 - and have had zero issues with the power charge port doors - the _ONLY_ posted problem I've seen about charge port doors were a broken manual charge port doors - I believe the evidence is scant in support of this statement…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...cannot-be-fully-closed-latch-inoperable.4025/

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I have the passenger display, but I'd say that the primary complaints about the passenger display:
  • Cannot show CarPlay. This means that the passenger really needs to use the central display to change musid if you're using CarPlay or navigation if you're using Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps.
  • Limited Number of Things to Show. I find things that I'd like shown on the display are not available. In addition to the CarPlay, I'd like to be able to show even a slide show or something on that display, but it's really only useful for Weather and Cockpit views. While both of these are nice, it hardly justifies the added cost. No way to put night vision on the screen or some other display feature that would be interesting or handy.
  • Cannot have the display on when driving alone. Given the limits of what is even on the display, it would be nice to have something visible on the display that would be useful as a quick reference. The Weather screen is a good example, as would be other information that you don’t need right in front of you.
All told, it’s a lot of money for not as much functionality as you’d think. Ironically, this could change at some point in the future (CarPlay could be made available in the second screen, for example) and that would change my view of it. As it is, if I was forced to drop one of the too many options I specified on my vehicle, this is the one that I would drop first.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

If they did push a software update and added CarPlay to the second screen, would you want it as an extension of the first (the passenger is using the driver’s phone), or would you prefer to allow the passenger to connect their phone and use the second screen?

Apple has some significant restrictions on the CarPlay APIs and use. Ironically it might be “easier” to implement the second option.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I’d be fine with it being a 2nd screen for Carplay - one car play app on the main screen and another on the 2nd screen - as it stands now Carplay being excluded from the passenger display makes it way less useful

I’m also not sure this is possible with Carplay as Apple currently has it engineered and I agree with @andrewket it might actually be easier to assign separate phones to each screen - LOL

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If they did push a software update and added CarPlay to the second screen, would you want it as an extension of the first (the passenger is using the driver’s phone), or would you prefer to allow the passenger to connect their phone and use the second screen?

Apple has some significant restrictions on the CarPlay APIs and use. Ironically it might be “easier” to implement the second option.
I would want the first. The CarPlay spec does allow for a second screen already, but it's intended for the dashboard rather than the passenger screen. It seems like a reasonable use case, however, for Waze to be on the center display and the playlist to be on a second screen. Ironically, I would be happy to take the extension to the dashboard to be enabled over the passenger screen!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Passenger screen can be switched on when you're driving without a passenger.
Here's how:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/wma5-6-7-improvements.4440/post-61938

Edit: I saw you already tried but didn't work.
Are you sure you did exactly what I wrote?

Last edited:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I would want the first. The CarPlay spec does allow for a second screen already, but it's intended for the dashboard rather than the passenger screen. It seems like a reasonable use case, however, for Waze to be on the center display and the playlist to be on a second screen. Ironically, I would be happy to take the extension to the dashboard to be enabled over the passenger screen!
This was news to me.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple-carplay-dual-screen-feature-support/

It certainly would be nice.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Reactions: Dee

BIll

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718, Tycan on order
Country flag
Nothing. I bought the base with premium package and 20” wheels. Love it and don’t miss what I don’t have. Kept the additional $100k I didn’t spend on toys and reinvested it to buy a new 2024 model. That way if I think I need any superfluous extras next time I’ll know which prior to regretting an unnecessary expense. ?
Sponsored