Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Good and interesting news. There will always be those willing to buy an EV cheap and replace batteries no different to people who buy older cars now and rebuild the engine

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I'm not entirely impressed with some of the 'measurement' data coming from this source but interesting nonetheless.

In respect this statement:

Quote - "The data showed that most EVs driven close to 100,000 miles still have at least 90 percent of their original range left."- UnQuote

Of the 57 cars we have kept track of to date in the Baseline SoH thread (spread across 17 countries globally and 12 States in the US, covering all climate zones etc), 17 cars have less than 90%(85-89%) in a mileage range principally between 7500-30,000. So 30% of our dataset have dropped up to 5% below 90% in a third of the mileage referred to above.

Now these lower Soh readings are almost exclusively for Hot and Warm weather climate zones and speaks to the known effect of heat on degradation, but a fairly significant proportion!

I'm not sweating it (terrible pun) but with at least 2 long car trips next year (3-5000 miles each) planned we're on track to dip below 80% at 3 years - knowing my luck I'll hit exactly 80% at 3 years!!

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
My previous Ev after 3 years didn’t lose one mile of range.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Upon reading the actual report (as opposed to the summary article of a summary article about the report), it's not a comprehensive survey of EVs but rather an assessment of subscribers to the company's EV service.
And if you set aside battery recalls, Leaf replacements (unless anyone here cares about the Leaf?), and all the Tesla models, the remaining data is ... almost entirely nonexistent.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I'm not entirely impressed with some of the 'measurement' data coming from this source but interesting nonetheless.

In respect this statement:

Quote - "The data showed that most EVs driven close to 100,000 miles still have at least 90 percent of their original range left."- UnQuote

Of the 57 cars we have kept track of to date in the Baseline SoH thread (spread across 17 countries globally and 12 States in the US, covering all climate zones etc), 17 cars have less than 90%(85-89%) in a mileage range principally between 7500-30,000. So 30% of our dataset have dropped up to 5% below 90% in a third of the mileage referred to above.

Now these lower Soh readings are almost exclusively for Hot and Warm weather climate zones and speaks to the known effect of heat on degradation, but a fairly significant proportion!

I'm not sweating it (terrible pun) but with at least 2 long car trips next year (3-5000 miles each) planned we're on track to dip below 80% at 3 years - knowing my luck I'll hit exactly 80% at 3 years!!
I strongly believe this exercise is not tracking the right number. It is good for relative measurements but it can not be used in absolute context.

I believe the total energy is a better number to track.
For example: In my car the SoH is 92%. But the total energy is 68kwh. This is 95% of the original 71 kwh. That number is much more in line with the real range decline.
If you take those numbers it looks a lot better.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
To me, the only number that is important is 'what does it really cost to replace the battery of a Taycan with a refurbished one, out of warranty ?'
If I do not know that number, I will sell the car before it is 8 years old.
If it is in the same price range as a Tesla model S (about 10000 euro), I will keep the car.

So far nobody can answer that question.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
That's why the replacement cost said $5k-$22k and not the $40k that Porsche charges 😉
Neh, they were just factoring out economies of scale, by the time your Tacan needs a new battery, their cost might only be $5K from a third party source (your Taycan will be over 8 years old then, since before then battery replacements are fee under warranty). You can always pay Porsche tax if you want to, for example $5 per little screw (can't find the thread here, but someone posted a repair estimate from a Porsche approved shop, and yes, there was a line item of ~40 self tapping screws at $5 a piece on the estimate). Same screws on open market, even at 40 quantity, maybe $0.20.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I strongly believe this exercise is not tracking the right number. It is good for relative measurements but it can not be used in absolute context.

I believe the total energy is a better number to track.
For example: In my car the SoH is 92%. But the total energy is 68kwh. This is 95% of the original 71 kwh. That number is much more in line with the real range decline.
If you take those numbers it looks a lot better.
Discussed at length in the Baseline SoH thread including all my numbers.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Neh, they were just factoring out economies of scale, by the time your Tacan needs a new battery, their cost might only be $5K from a third party source (your Taycan will be over 8 years old then, since before then battery replacements are fee under warranty). You can always pay Porsche tax if you want to, for example $5 per little screw (can't find the thread here, but someone posted a repair estimate from a Porsche approved shop, and yes, there was a line item of ~40 self tapping screws at $5 a piece on the estimate). Same screws on open market, even at 40 quantity, maybe $0.20.
I'm sure you're correct that batteries will be cheaper if and when they're needed en masse, but, today, a Porsche OEM battery replacement costs $40k.