4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
@Mr.Smith For me, there are so many "game changers" - I have a Tesla model 3 and an EV motorcycle both! The Taycan's RAS feature is incredible, I feel it gives the car additional control on the freeway and is essential for tight spaces. I can spin this car like a top! Also the auto-regen results in a far smoother and more efficient ride than the Tesla. I love to coast down the freeway knowing the car will slow down if I get cut off or approach another vehicle (and will do so with more finesse than I can on my own). I am surprised this is not talked about more but I presume many drivers don't know it exists or haven't tried it yet.

As you note, these features have nothing to do with the engine, and if it was as simple as producing a powerful engine, nobody would be buying Porsches - they would buy Vettes and other muscle cars that are much cheaper.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Very nice alternative to a Tesla. Why is it compared to a Taycan?
I think everyone puts EVs in 1 bucket with a few sub-classes. All EV sedans are suppose to be the same.
Its like comparing a 911 to a Mercedes S65

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I had an Air Dream Edition reserved and had the opportunity to test drive one in December ahead of delivery. Looking at it just from a specs perspective, it didn't seem like any other EV would compare. Between the range, power, passenger and cargo capacity it seemed like the best you can get for a premium sedan EV. A game changing EV in a sense.

During the test drive, I had the same perspective as many others when it came to tactile experience of the car. It had great acceleration, handling was good, comfortable, and impressively spacious in terms of passenger and cargo capacity. However, driving it felt kind of numb. It wasn't thrilling in any way other than the idea of driving the fastest thing on the road, which doesn't really matter day-to-day. My wife also felt the car was nice, but, wasn't too excited overall.

The infotainment was okay and we tested the audio which sounded nice. I wouldn't say there was anything in the interior that was memorable besides the legroom (especially in the rear!). Looks were okay to me, but the two tone body and overall looked definitely screamed "Buick" to me and I'm a bit too young to embrace that lifestyle. The car felt really nice as a whole, just didn't generate a real connection with me. Could I be happy with it? ...sure?

When it came time to start planning the delivery of the vehicle, I had my doubts and started looking back at the Taycan which struck my interest from Mission E concept days. I read through a bunch of reviews and videos and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to give it a shot before committing to a purchase.

There happened to be a CPO Taycan Turbo available nearby that had the options I wanted (all the driver focused ones, club leather, Burmeister, etc.) and not the ones I didn't (LKA, InnoDrive, etc.). I scheduled a test drive and even told the sales rep my situation. I let him know that I was on the brink of purchasing the Air and leaning in that direction. However, I wanted to see if the Taycan was right for me, even if on paper it was inferior in most ways. He actually agreed with me. The Taycan couldn't compete with the Air on raw numbers, but, I should try it and if I like, it's available for purchase. Very low pressure and not at all pushy.

I've driven a few Porsches in the past, though never owned own. Sportiest car I've owned was a Lotus. Once I test drove the Taycan, the experience was completely different that the Air. I was excited to get behind the wheel, the interior felt next level, even if there was less space. The driving and steering dynamics were much better, and the sound system was excellent. Even my wife, who was kind of 'meh, if you REALLY want it on the Air, liked the Taycan. A big factor for me.

Needless to say, the Taycan was a car that really connected with us on all levels. We bought the Taycan, cancelled my Air reservation later that day and have no regrets. The lower power, range, and space make no difference to us in practice.

There's some issues here or there with our car, though, I would guess that the Air would have just as many being the first vehicle from a brand new manufacturer.

TL;DR: Had a Lucid Air Dream reservation, excited about the car from a spec sheet standpoint. Test drove it and felt just okay about the car. Tried a Taycan Turbo before committing to the Air, fell in love, and decided to cancel my order and buy the Porsche.

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I had an Air Dream Edition reserved and had the opportunity to test drive one in December ahead of delivery. Looking at it just from a specs perspective, it didn't seem like any other EV would compare. Between the range, power, passenger and cargo capacity it seemed like the best you can get for a premium sedan EV. A game changing EV in a sense.

During the test drive, I had the same perspective as many others when it came to tactile experience of the car. It had great acceleration, handling was good, comfortable, and impressively spacious in terms of passenger and cargo capacity. However, driving it felt kind of numb. It wasn't thrilling in any way other than the idea of driving the fastest thing on the road, which doesn't really matter day-to-day. My wife also felt the car was nice, but, wasn't too excited overall.

The infotainment was okay and we tested the audio which sounded nice. I wouldn't say there was anything in the interior that was memorable besides the legroom (especially in the rear!). Looks were okay to me, but the two tone body and overall looked definitely screamed "Buick" to me and I'm a bit too young to embrace that lifestyle. The car felt really nice as a whole, just didn't generate a real connection with me. Could I be happy with it? ...sure?

When it came time to start planning the delivery of the vehicle, I had my doubts and started looking back at the Taycan which struck my interest from Mission E concept days. I read through a bunch of reviews and videos and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to give it a shot before committing to a purchase.

There happened to be a CPO Taycan Turbo available nearby that had the options I wanted (all the driver focused ones, club leather, Burmeister, etc.) and not the ones I didn't (LKA, InnoDrive, etc.). I scheduled a test drive and even told the sales rep my situation. I let him know that I was on the brink of purchasing the Air and leaning in that direction. However, I wanted to see if the Taycan was right for me, even if on paper it was inferior in most ways. He actually agreed with me. The Taycan couldn't compete with the Air on raw numbers, but, I should try it and if I like, it's available for purchase. Very low pressure and not at all pushy.

I've driven a few Porsches in the past, though never owned own. Sportiest car I've owned was a Lotus. Once I test drove the Taycan, the experience was completely different that the Air. I was excited to get behind the wheel, the interior felt next level, even if there was less space. The driving and steering dynamics were much better, and the sound system was excellent. Even my wife, who was kind of 'meh, if you REALLY want it on the Air, liked the Taycan. A big factor for me.

Needless to say, the Taycan was a car that really connected with us on all levels. We bought the Taycan, cancelled my Air reservation later that day and have no regrets. The lower power, range, and space make no difference to us in practice.

There's some issues here or there with our car, though, I would guess that the Air would have just as many being the first vehicle from a brand new manufacturer.

TL;DR: Had a Lucid Air Dream reservation, excited about the car from a spec sheet standpoint. Test drove it and felt just okay about the car. Tried a Taycan Turbo before committing to the Air, fell in love, and decided to cancel my order and buy the Porsche.
Lucid would get you from point A to point B in comfort, Taycan would get you there with a smile.

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag

I have an early Grand Touring reservation. I'm not sure if I'll be going through with delivery, but the room in the back seat (3 kids), extra storage, and almost double the range has me really interested.

Agreed that the Taycan is the better looking car, but the Lucid is attractive. More futuristic than sports car.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag

I have an early Grand Touring reservation. I'm not sure if I'll be going through with delivery, but the room in the back seat (3 kids), extra storage, and almost double the range has me really interested.

Agreed that the Taycan is the better looking car, but the Lucid is attractive. More futuristic than sports car.
I dunno I can't keep quiet at this point when so much amazingly good press has been shared about the Taycan, to say nothing about the enthusiasm on this site. The Lucid is unproven, and while Tesla seems to have broken through the barriers of providing decent after-sale support, my mind keeps returning to the doomed DeLorean - great looking car even by today's standards. I just don't get why buyers would want to take a chance on such an unproven investment when comparing to a world class respected company approaching 100 years old.

Range anxiety is another anathema. I'll be charging overnight in my garage 99+% of the time so range is a non-issue. I don't pay more for features that I'll rarely need, and its not a big deal to charge if needed - its not like you are stranded. While I prefer the Taycan's lines, those in need of more space (a singularly valid need), could go with the CTS body style.

I do hope you enjoy the Lucid if you proceed with it. I don't want too many Taycans on the road anyway!

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
@Mr.Smith you certainly get around. The car looks like a giant appliance to me and I love that you acknowledge the "role of soul" in judging the attributes of a new car purchase. I remember telling you I might have difficulty letting go of the feeling I had in my 911 with the top down. Guess what? Its been replaced with the feeling of a refined and highly evolved Porsche that is just as much fun to drive. And turns even more heads than my last car. One thing I'd like, however, is for people to stop taking pictures of me while I'm in it.
I'd also like it if people would stop taking pics of my car while I am driving -- it is getting creepy. Just yesterday a passenger in a pick-up truck was hanging out the window snapping pics of the Taycan while driving down the highway. And to think, one of the things that attracted me to the car was the fact that it wasn't a goofy looking Larry-David-EV-mobile that draws attention due to the fact that it is different and electric.

BronxBomberMJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd also like it if people would stop taking pics of my car while I am driving -- it is getting creepy. Just yesterday a passenger in a pick-up truck was hanging out the window snapping pics of the Taycan while driving down the highway. And to think, one of the things that attracted me to the car was the fact that it wasn't a goofy looking Larry-David-EV-mobile that draws attention due to the fact that it is different and electric.
@Tsingtao where in the US are you located?? I'm in LA, so there are many exotic, insanely priced vehicles on the road, but I'm curious if the "newness" of the Taycan will have folks gawking as well.

Honestly, I have to look pretty hard to tell whether it's a Taycan or Panamera from the front, but have only seen one Taycan around the Pasadena area. I'm sure I'll be able to tell in no time once I get familiar with seeing mine daily.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Same here
Also, I fear these small startup companies have even worse service than Tesla
that is a possibility, why aren't people interested in big grand touring sedans looking at the MB EQS?

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
that is a possibility, why aren't people interested in big grand touring sedans looking at the MB EQS?
Jason Cammisa gave the EQS a pretty terrible review.

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
Call me weird but I actually like the way it looks. Not as good as Taycan in looks but it still looks good.
Same here. Taycan obviously blows it away, but I'm into these futuristic, simplistic designs as well. Like for instance I love a sharp, well fitted and expensive suit - but I also dress in plain tees and joggers on most days and love that style too.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
@Tsingtao where in the US are you located?? I'm in LA, so there are many exotic, insanely priced vehicles on the road, but I'm curious if the "newness" of the Taycan will have folks gawking as well.

Honestly, I have to look pretty hard to tell whether it's a Taycan or Panamera from the front, but have only seen one Taycan around the Pasadena area. I'm sure I'll be able to tell in no time once I get familiar with seeing mine daily.
I'm in the Midwest and have literally only seen one other Taycan within 50 miles of my base. I ran into one at a Wal*Mart EA charging station but that was it. You would almost think the Taycan was a flying saucer based upon the locals' reactions. Hopefully Porsche will sell some of these outside of CA, NY and FL so that the rest of us can drive around without being "stalked" by Instagramers and the like. But in fairness, the car is a freak'n thing of beauty -- as far as cars go. On the Panamera subject, you may not be able to easily distinguish them from yours, but trust me, Panamera drivers know the difference -- my neighbor has a Panamera Turbo and she is green with envy over the Taycan's good looks.
Sponsored