CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am seriously considering moving from a 2021 Tesla Model S long range model to a Taycan 4s or Turbo. The advertised range of my Tesla is ~350 miles, HOWEVER I realistically only get about 70% of that at most. I drive aggressively but even on days where I put mostly highway miles I notice the actual range is not even close to what the car is telling me I should be getting. This is something every Tesla owner I know has stated, so I don't think it is just my car. My question is, what is the real world range of your Taycans? I know driving style will affect the range but I'm hoping the estimated range is closer to what you actually get. Thanks.
Have had my 4S for 4 years, 20” wheels. In the warm weather 220-240 miles on a full charge. I was really disappointed during a particularly cold snap last year to find I was only getting a maximum of 160 miles when icy outside.
Sponsored

Ghost

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am seriously considering moving from a 2021 Tesla Model S long range model to a Taycan 4s or Turbo. The advertised range of my Tesla is ~350 miles, HOWEVER I realistically only get about 70% of that at most. I drive aggressively but even on days where I put mostly highway miles I notice the actual range is not even close to what the car is telling me I should be getting. This is something every Tesla owner I know has stated, so I don't think it is just my car. My question is, what is the real world range of your Taycans? I know driving style will affect the range but I'm hoping the estimated range is closer to what you actually get. Thanks.
I have a Tesla S range is shorter than stated. Not an issue with so many chargers around, I also have TTS the range is also over stated especially when you’re getting on it. If range is important stick to Tesla , if performance and handling is your goal TTS

Svaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Model S
Country flag
Very informative thread.

I am also a Tesla Model S owner (on my second one) and I just bought a Tacyan 4S (for my wife - but really we sort of share cars). We are supposed to pick it up in two weeks, we are very excited. I literally bought the car with literally doing NO research. Other than simply thinking it is the nicest looking EV on the road, I knew nothing. I’m starting to learn now (sort of doing things backwards).

After I’ve had my new Model S and Taycan for a few months, I will try to give my best comparison of the two.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
I had a tesla M3P for 3 years prior to my Taycan 4S.

At low speed, the tesla range is better as the car is a lot more efficient.

On a roadtrip, the Taycan range is less impacted by speed than the Tesla and i get around 330km at 150 km/h (21' Carbon Taycan exclusive , range mode)but it charges much faster.

All in all on a 700/800 km roadtrip, i'm faster with the Taycan entirely due to charging speed.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Have had my 4S for 4 years, 20” wheels. In the warm weather 220-240 miles on a full charge. I was really disappointed during a particularly cold snap last year to find I was only getting a maximum of 160 miles when icy outside.
I found it was massively worse for short journeys in winter, the vast amount of power needed to warm the battery up enough for it to work reasonably well.
On top of that the heater is initially working hard.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Just asking..?

When you say 'getting' 160 miles do you mean that is what it says on the guessometer?

I drive 2-3 miles to work. If I do that in the dead of winter a few times and I get in my car
at 7am in the dark at 5 degrees above freezing with no prewarming my guessometer can nose dive below 200.

However if the car, and more importantly, the battery are preheated, even though it might
say less than 200 mile on the guessometer initially, if you actually drive it for a long 200+ journey
my car will always get 200+ miles even in the dead of winter.
Unless of course you drive like a hooligan.
In the first 2 miles in winter I can use 2kw, after its all heated up the efficiency improves rapidly and gets much closer to summer levels, especially if you run air con at meat locker temperatures in summer

Its a guessometer.

In the middle of summer after 2 or 3 long and steady journeys the guessometer might say 285 miles at 100% state of charge. If you drive enthusiastically to a race track and do a few laps, you will not get 285 miles.

Its a guessometer.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Taycan Turbo CT, 20" Aeros, first 15 months of ownership-
Fully-charged range pro-rated from actual consumption on journeys of at least 45 mins, typically mix of Mway, A and B roads:
209-234 miles during the mild winter
236-276 miles outside of winter
(excluding all shorter trips)

Svaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Model S
Country flag
I found it was massively worse for short journeys in winter, the vast amount of power needed to warm the battery up enough for it to work reasonably well.
I've got good old Canadian winters and even though I garage park my Tesla, it is not uncommon for me to experience as much as a 40% loss of range. One of the biggest drawbacks of owning an EV in a winter climate.

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes I would agree with this too Frank. I had a particularly difficult drive home from Stansted to Norwich on a foggy, icy evening. Needed several stops to charge up. Was quite unsettled with just how quickly the battery was running down.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Yes I would agree with this too Frank. I had a particularly difficult drive home from Stansted to Norwich on a foggy, icy evening. Needed several stops to charge up. Was quite unsettled with just how quickly the battery was running down.
Cripes. That's only 85 miles, isn't it?

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
First autumn/winter in my 4S, in the last few weeks when temps have fallen below 6/7 degrees C, my consumption has dropped from the previously average of around 2.2 now down to about 1.5 mi/kWh. I mainly do short trips to and from work etc. and on the 21 mission-e wheels... Thought the 1.5 was alarming but I suppose the cold is hitting the battery hard especially when I'm only doing about 4/5 miles each way!

... if that's out of the norm do let me know though...!!!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
First autumn/winter in my 4S, in the last few weeks when temps have fallen below 6/7 degrees C, my consumption has dropped from the previously average of around 2.2 now down to about 1.5 mi/kWh. I mainly do short trips to and from work etc. and on the 21 mission-e wheels... Thought the 1.5 was alarming but I suppose the cold is hitting the battery hard especially when I'm only doing about 4/5 miles each way!

... if that's out of the norm do let me know though...!!!
Do you also pre-heat your car before your trip?

briomir

First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you also pre-heat your car before your trip?
No preheat (be it interior or battery (if that is even possible?))

Wait... is it possible to preheat the battery before trips?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
No preheat (be it interior or battery (if that is even possible?))

Wait... is it possible to preheat the battery before trips?
I meant your interior. The battery does pre-heat if you are plugged in and use a timer for charging. Set the timer sometime around your normal departure time and you find your battery is already at a good operating temp. The low miles/kWh you're experiencing is almost certainly due to the short duration and your heating system trying to get the battery warmed up.
Sponsored