Real Range of Taycan

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Except your battery only has 83kw net usable capacity, so 3.1 equates to 257 miles of actual range, not 289 miles. Further that statistic in the app is optimistic.
Which statistic in the app is optimistic? Miles per kwh consumption? Or something else?
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But check this out:
... which, at long last, is another EA location in New England north of Massachusetts.
After only two weeks of its grand opening, of the six 350 kW chargers, depending on whether you go by either the official PlugShare summary or the driver reviews, either half or all of the chargers are broken.
Plugshare comments for that EA site say dispensers report 4kw charge rate while vehicle shows receiving 80kw or more..... :CWL:
That's an issue I haven't seen.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Which statistic in the app is optimistic? Miles per kwh consumption? Or something else?
Miles per KWh over the long term. If you compare the range implied by that to actual mileage, I think you’ll that it’s overstating what you’re actually getting. Mine is high by about 10%.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
We have both in our household (model X, but same difference, maybe add 5-10% for the S).
We have put ~30K miles on the X (non-plaid), and 12K miles on the Taycan 4S.

Ignoring the rated/advertised vs. actual debate, and focusing on living with both cars:

If you take our experience as a data point: The Model X will beat the Taycan on range. Not by much, but it will. They both show ~300 wh/mile as driven by me, over the course of their full lifetime. One has 83kwh usable, the other something closer to 90.

In my experience, the Tesla also reacts more to driving slower to hit higher efficiency if for example you find yourself in the middle of Yellowstone too close for comfort to 0%.

However, neither of those are IMHO "worse enough" on the Taycan to meaningfully influence the decision.

The bigger issue is the charging network.
As NPR summarized: "EVs that aren't Teslas have a road trip problem"
This is not just the reliability, it's also the distribution: EA clusters them on big box retailers, and you're left with huge pockets without coverage.

If you intend to use the car for road trips, I would see it as a massive argument against the Taycan. Enough to not choose the car? Depends on your situation. But I would most defintely factor it in.

(source: )

fika

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
EA is only one company providing DC fast charging. If Porsche had a deal with Chevron to get cheaper gas would you limit yourself to those stations on a roadtrip, even if there weren't any in range of your trip?

Compare Plugshare (minus Tesla, and not limited to EA) and a map of Tesla Superchargers. They are placed in approx. the same locations across the USA.

I'm not arguing for or against Tesla, but there are plenty of non-Tesla DC chargers along the major highway routes. If I can't use EA I use Chargepoint, EVGO, Blink, etc.

We are still in EV infancy and the infrastructure is only getting better. NACS adoption and Superchargers opening up to non-Tesla will also help alleviate the issue. Then you have Tesla + all of the others to choose from.

I read and listened to the article, they had a whole entourage of cars. The problems they faced were a non-issue for a single person road tripping with better planning. Yes there are some places in the US where DC charging is lacking, but this is also true of Tesla.

In relation to the OPs question and their location (Dallas) I don't think they will see any difference at all between the two vehicles regarding range and charging. Yes the Tesla will get more range, but not 150 miles difference that the EPA ratings would have you believe. More like 20-50. Plenty of DC (of all brands) chargers in Dallas and EA spaces theirs out approx. 70 miles apart on major highways for longer trips.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't know whether plugshare is showing you something different, but if you filter for >100kw, and exclude Tesla, outside of major metro areas you are largely looking at the EA network. There's other's in there, but you have to be super careful. Random 1-2 plugs at a shell or something else.

This is true here in the PNW (south to Portland and CA, east to Montana etc, north to Canada), and just spot checking, also true east and west of Dallas. Going north from Dallas is more interesting, there seems to be some Francis Energy network that seems to have decent coverage.

This is not about "some deal to get cheaper gas". It's the difference between having to do research, having to deal with surprises, having to deal with the occasional multi hour stop when you're trickle charging instead of fast charging. In my case, if you add the constraints of a family in the mix, it's the difference between realistically using the car for a road trip or not.

Whether or not that's a criteria for OP is for them to decide.

I made a similar move from Tesla to Taycan ~2 years ago, and would have wanted somebody to point this out to me. Road trips are definitely NOT THE SAME.

And if you're not using the car for road trips at all, then you don't have to worry about range at all. Essentially all EVs on the market today have enough range for daily driver duty.

Yes we are in the infancy, that's all great as a societal observation. Assuming OP wants to use the car today, and not in some distant future, the state today is more pertinent.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
^ Same situation in the Northeast, even more so in New England, especially when filtering for 4+ plugs (which often includes stations with two CCS1 plus a CHAdeMO and a L2 AC, so have to inspect those more carefully) and even more so for 6+. I suspect that EA has deterred the expansion of other networks here.

Johnnyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am seriously considering moving from a 2021 Tesla Model S long range model to a Taycan 4s or Turbo. The advertised range of my Tesla is ~350 miles, HOWEVER I realistically only get about 70% of that at most. I drive aggressively but even on days where I put mostly highway miles I notice the actual range is not even close to what the car is telling me I should be getting. This is something every Tesla owner I know has stated, so I don't think it is just my car. My question is, what is the real world range of your Taycans? I know driving style will affect the range but I'm hoping the estimated range is closer to what you actually get. Thanks.
I had my high voltage battery replaced in turbo about a month ago and have observed a range in normal driving mode- 50/50 highway and city-(warm Houston) about 275 to 300 miles. This is about a 40 mile increase in range from original. I am fairly certain that the replacement battery is next generation. With that in mind i expect upcoming models to have similar range.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
The Taycan states the projected range quite pessimistic.
Other than my previous Tesla, where it was very optimistic.

However, there is no such thing as a definitive "range".
Range is always re-calculated dynamically, based on previous consumption.

What I get in reality is between 235 and 310 miles (summer/ winter, speed etc.)
This is much better than expected and always good enough for me, given the super fast charging.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
I am fairly certain that the replacement battery is next generation.
By "next generation", are you saying you think that you got a "battery from the future" that is different from the ones that are going into production vehicles currently on the line? That would seem unlikely to me.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I had my high voltage battery replaced in turbo about a month ago and have observed a range in normal driving mode- 50/50 highway and city-(warm Houston) about 275 to 300 miles. This is about a 40 mile increase in range from original. I am fairly certain that the replacement battery is next generation. With that in mind i expect upcoming models to have similar range.
Like I've mentioned in another post, since your battery is new you just have close to actual 83-84kwh usable battery--it has nothing to do with it being "next generation." Your consumption is most likely on par with other Turbos, but with a new battery having 95-99% health.

StevenB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Taycan RWD
Country flag
My Taycan (RWD, PB+) pleasantly surprised me when it comes to highway consumption, which is really what matters for longer trips. I expected exponentially worse than average consumption as is the case with our ICE cars, certainly if you go over the speed limit . But the reality with my Taycan is that my average consumption is lower on the highway than local commuting. In summer on 20 inch wheels I get a real world range of around 280 miles, which is plenty for me...

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I've seen 294 miles advertised on our Turbo with aero wheels, during an interstate trip at a pretty consistent 75 m.p.h. I stopped to charge after 270 miles, and around 10% remaining, IIRC. This was in June, with temperatures around 75º F.

Pwh819

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cross Turismo - Chalk
Country flag
I am seriously considering moving from a 2021 Tesla Model S long range model to a Taycan 4s or Turbo. The advertised range of my Tesla is ~350 miles, HOWEVER I realistically only get about 70% of that at most. I drive aggressively but even on days where I put mostly highway miles I notice the actual range is not even close to what the car is telling me I should be getting. This is something every Tesla owner I know has stated, so I don't think it is just my car. My question is, what is the real world range of your Taycans? I know driving style will affect the range but I'm hoping the estimated range is closer to what you actually get. Thanks.
Many accurate and well detailed answers here (IMHO) but the question I would ask is more about the charging experience. If you are used to Tesla based charging and plan on EA as your “go-to” charging stations then you will be disappointed no doubt. In my experience after two Taycan’s and many long distance trips, they are not ready for Prime Time. If that’s you as well, you will need to be patient and resourceful because it’s more than hit and miss. (hint: mostly miss)
Sponsored

Last edited: